1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

UK General Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Troy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because, fundamentally, for peaceful post-war occupation, the population has to accept that they lost the war. When the Iraqi army was crushed and the government overthrown, the remnants of the army and the Baath Party and whatnot just melted back into the populace and started a guerrilla/terror war.

I don't really know what you're trying to say, because we occupied the country quite thoroughly.

2. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Pretty sure they less melt, and more like were thrown out and persecuted in petty tribal/religious revenge. Xiph0 once threw me a really good article about, unfortunately can't find it. That in turn, exacerbated an already inflammatory conflict. That the regime placed by the US in turn engaged in the same kind of corruption and petty ethnic disputes that created the divide in the first place goes unmentioned. Oh and the US not placing the old Afghan King, someone still widely respected and seen as competent and a rare near unanimity in the divided country, back and instead opted for the massively corrupt and incompetent president was also a bad choice.

And uh. You didn't. First, the war was done was a mass rushing towards the vital points for the central regime, as it was planned for minimal casualties and duration. There were also only 150,000-200,00 troops occupying Iraq, if I'm not mistaken, a country with 40 million people and 168 thousand square miles of area.

3. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Make up your mind, are you talking about Iraq or Afghanistan? We invaded Iraq with a little over 300 thousand.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Not helped by the fact that at this point, guerrilla warfare is seen as the best way to deal with any Western invasion. All you have to do is keep up the resistance until the US gets tired of spending money/lives and gives up. It's not hard to convince people that your guerrilla victory is inevitable when half the country invading you is opposed to the war and wants to know what the exit strategy is as soon as the first shots are fired.

One of the big issues with countering guerrilla warfare, as the US has had to learn, is the lack of any good PR points to help convince your own populace that you're winning. It's hard to convince a democratic populace to commit to anything for 30+ years, but especially something that costs lots of lives and money, and produces little in the way of tangible proof that it's working.

5. Invictus

Invictus Heir

US people has this weird tendency of overestimating the effectiveness of Guerrilla warfare. You need massive civilian support, strong foreign backers to finance you or viable means to explore economically and favorable terrain. Usually only failing states, massively corrupt ones or simply very poor ones have deep problem with them.

Guerilla warfare also tends to be a disaster to the civilians, since it turns the focus on them.

US effective was 192,000. British had 45,000. The rest were locals. Even then, I'm talking about effective occupying force.

6. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    All this being as it may, I saw an article in the Independent this morning saying that Labour expected to overtake the Tories in the polls soon, and that the Tories also expected it to happen, but that they still had the electoral advantage because of FPTP voting.

What accounts for the Labour surge? It doesn't seem to be Corbyn, so it must be the Labour platform set out in the Manifesto. Which policies are driving this the most?

7. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

From my understanding, it isn't so much that Labour are doing overly well so much as the Tories seem to be doing awful. Especially with the UK seeming to have an election every year or so, I think people are in the UK are just getting fed up with the Tories and Labour is just the next choice.

May also has the charisma of a dead fish that repeats the same stock lines.

8. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Also, UKIP leader Paul Nuttall supports torture and the death pnealty?

This smacks of desperation.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    No surprise, given the US's history with it. Especially since it tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy thanks to the nature of guerrilla wars. Since a lot of the US populace has some idea about guerrilla warfare being some sort of unstoppable super-tactic, the US tends to lack the willpower needed to see out a long, bloody, unpleasant counter-insurgency campaign.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He can be as desperate as he wants, its unlikely he'll win a seat in Parliament regardless of his proposed policies. UKIP are going the way of the dodo thanks to the Tories approach to brexit.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Based on this, it seems to me that it's the national stuff, like NHS, care for the elderly, and so on. Barring the effective tie on education, there's a pretty clear split between national (Corbyn) and international (May) issues. There's also the general weariness with one party being in power for too long to consider - something Americans should know full-well - and while recent history does point towards that not being too much of an issue in the UK, I would also say that May is no Blair or Thatcher.

That being said, FPTP favoured the Tories in 2015 because Labour lost Scotland. Doesn't matter if you take a net of two seats from your main rival (and 22 from the imploding LibDems) if you lose 40 elsewhere and all that. If the SNP doesn't implode, which it doesn't look like, this will make it harder for Labour to get to 326. Brexit marginals might also be a thing, but Xepheria knows more about that.

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

He's correct about the Republican Guard not 'melting back' into guerrilla warfare. Had Paul Bremer known anything about Iraq before he started issuing decrees the same week he got off the plane, he wouldn't have fired the military on TV without disarming them, nor would we have put together a 'government' that was entirely Shiite (initially). GWB's responsibility lies in appointing him - it definitely created the insurgency that came about.

Frontline documentary with more primary footage and interviews.

13. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the rumours that Labour are about to pass Tories in the polls. Yes, there might be a single poll that puts Labour ahead, but you should expect the average of polls to continue to give the Tories a healthy lead.

The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that the "Labour lead" poll has been planted by the Tories in order to give complacent Tory voters a kick up the bum to get out and vote. A similar thing happened before the Scottish independence referendum - a single outlier poll shortly before polling day which scared "No" voters.

And of course national polls in a FPTP system divided into constituencies aren't the best indicator of actual election victory anyway.

14. fire

fire High Inquisitor

What is this nutter nonsense about how the US could have turned Iraq into post-war Japan/Germany if only they fully committed to it???

Japan and Germany were stable societies pre-war - a full functional state governing people that weren't ready to murderize each other on a dime.

Iraq, meanwhile, was basically Saddam Hussein as backed by the Sunni minority keeping the Shiites and Kurds quiescent via death squads, torture prisons and ultimately genocide. Once you lifted the Butcher of Baghdad's boot and freed the Shiites, they would not have settled for less than total political domination so they never get fucked by the Sunnis again. The Sunnis, meanwhile, know exactly what's in store for them, and so chose insurrection over Shiite oppression. And the rest, as they say, is history.

There are no good solutions. That is a fact.

As Taure has pointed, whatever you do (intervention, limited intervention, do nothing), bad stuff will still happen. For what it's worth I believe Obama was correct on Libya but wrong on Syria. Letting Gaddafi reduce Benghazi to rubble and ruin would not only have killed tens of thousands at least, it wasn't even clear that that would work - and if it didn't, you would have full blown civil war on your hands, ala Syria, as opposed to the low-intensity small-scale skirmishes we currently have (i.e. the situation is bad tilting into worse, but it's not catastrophic).

For Syria I don't see a path to peace. There's more to say but I'm too tired atm. tldr the Alawites will never give up because they justifiably believe that losing means their being ethnically cleansed; the Sunnis will never give up either because Assad raped and tortured and murdered their wives and children and neighbours; so the war will go on until Syria is nothing but ash and dust.

15. Invictus

Invictus Heir

You have no idea what was happening in Germany in the 1920s/30s, do you? And Japanese society was completely nuts, specially the military. Iraq was pretty stable, all things considered where it was. It wasn't African shit states level by fair, it is also very resource rich.

16. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure if you can rightly call the Syrian situation an example of inaction. There was/is too much politicking around the funding of separatist rebels, and the US policy that Assad must go was one of the leading causes of this. I would liken it more to Lybia, except with indirect military action, as opposed to direct.

Looking at the wider picture, however, we cannot forget that the tensions and dislike the middle east has of us are a result of almost a century of interference in their affairs. They (understandably) resent us for this. In this context, as you rightly point out, any action we take will almost certainly result in disaster.

From a purely pragmatic point of view, there are two real options that come out of this. 1) Not wasting resources on a conflict we cannot fix. 2) If we are going to interfere, there must be a significant benefit that is A) worth the cost, and B) aware of the potential repercussions. (EG, increased terrorism in the west or a refugee crisis). This is something that was either not considered, or was a complete failure, with the propagation of the Syrian civil war and the ensuing refugee crisis which has plagued Europe.

Corbyn's argument, I assume, runs along the former line of thinking.

Invictus Your calls for an extended invasion and occupation of countries in the Middle East are questionable at best. Why would we want to do this? What tangible or intangible benefit is there that is worth the cost of both the money and lives involved in such an endeavour? Also, you forget the lessons we learnt from the Vietnam war, guerilla warfare is by far the best tactic to use against any western force considering the overwhelming power we have in conventional conflicts.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Being completely pragmatic and ignoring international response, if you are going to engage in conflict with the middle east, the solution which provides the west victory requires committing war crimes. Complete destruction of the middle eastern countries whether through carpet bombing or nuclear assault.

Since that is not an option...occupation is not an option...indirect action has bitten us in the butt...it stands to be reasonable that inaction is the best action to take.

Yet I'm not sure that is possible either.

The west is in a hard place with the middle east.

18. Invictus

Invictus Heir

How about fixing a region that has been a disaster for the last century? Occupations of S. Korea, Japan and Germany were wildly successful. Is it that hard for you to realize that past examples of success should be emulated?

The lesson we learned in Vietnam is the same lesson any strong power learns when it invades a poor country with a population that assumes that has nothing else to lose, keeps using indiscriminate force, has no desire to build a long term relationship with locals, has unmotivated troops who hate their job and keeps trying to prop up a wildly incompetent and corrupt and hated puppet government, it's called failing at politics and strategy. It's the same lesson the Soviets learned in the 80s in Afghanistan, it's the same lesson British learned in the Levant in the 20s, British in Ireland, Sri Lanka, it's the same lesson Rome learned in Germania. People will fight when pressed too hard, guerrilla might be the worse way to fight, but it's still better than nothing.

Arthellion I will be frank. That was one of the most retarded shit I had to read here. By far. If you think Japanese or Nazi Germany mindset was much better than whatever goes through an average middle eastern... Destruction of infrastructure for no reason is retarded. It creates needless resentment, makes rebuilding harder and makes everything insanely more expensive.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Think you misunderstand me. We only beat the japanese after nuking the shit out of them. The Japanese peoples were fully prepared for a long protracted fight with us near the end of WWII. It was breaking the japanese spirit that caused them to be willing to accept defeat and begin the long process of recovery.

I don't think the mindset was better during that time. The mindsets are incredibly similar. The only way to beat the middle east is to break the spirit of the people.
    I'm not advocating for that however. It's immoral and the acts of a war criminal.

20. Invictus

Invictus Heir

... Yeah. We sure did Nuke the shit out of Germany too. And Italy. Man, Turim 1943. Never forget. Koningsberg 1945. It's not like the Japanese by the end were holding out because a few maniacs held the government hostage and by consequence the population. No sore. Even if they did, it's not like that could apply to the ME.

I mean, those islamics love getting bombed. That's why Gaza people love their situation. Or maybe just superior Europeans can recognize lost causes.