1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unsung Hero by MeghanReviews - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Unsung Hero
    Author: MeghanReviews
    Rating: M
    Genre: General/Romance
    Pairings: H/Hr
    Summary: There are two things to know about Harry Potter. One: He kicks ass. Two: No one cares. Why? Because Daniel Potter is the Boy Who Lived. Book 6 compliant. Takes place in year 7.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2900438/1/
    Sequal Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4588641/1/

This story is done in standard "Harry's brother is considered BWL" pattern, but it's much more original and realistic than 90% of the competition.

Harry is not abused by his parents, just neglected. His brother is not a complete jerk (EDIT: Ok, he is, I forgot about a few scenes). He's not super powerful, but has to work hard to achieve anything. He doesn't have a dreamy and kindhearted older man acting as mentor/emorional support/potential lover. He's not gay. He doesn't know Draco Malfoy, or has anything to do with him. Hell, he's not even Slytherin. And the best thing, there's no description of his childhood at all; the story immedietely jumps to his seventh year.

Of course, the story has a few downsides, which is why I'm posting it just now.

The biggest one is the absurd level of neglect Harry is experiencing from absolutely everyone. I mean, he's the best student in the school and no one has even heard of him? Hardly. I'm actually half-expecting him to find some sort of notice-me-not charm cast on himself.

The other downside is Harry's not so flippant attitude towards this unjustice (occasional angst-fests), but I guess that's understandable considering his situation.

So, this story is not exactly spectacular, but solid level-headed approach to this dreaded sub-genre and constant update rate are enough for me keep following it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  2. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

I agree, the best thing about this story to me is the fact that it skips straight to seventh year and avoids all the usual character building. Harry's "oh well, life sucks" attitude pisses me off, but I'll continue reading because I'm sure it's building to a real blow up where Harry does some serious ass kicking for all to see, and I love that kind of shit. Some of the angst is definitely understandable, but one of my problems with stories like this is that Dumbledore is sure to notice a student as talented as Harry is, especially if he's already focused on the family because of Harry's brother. In this case, I think it's highly unlikely that Dumbledore would simply ignore him, but I guess if he didn't the story would lose its edge. Meh.

Overall it's decent, and I'll definitely keep following until Harry is revealed as the badass that he is. I just hope that he doesn't go straight into loving forgiveness when the truth is revealed. I'm pretty sure it will end up that way eventually, but I need to see an angry, fuck-the-world Harry Potter that makes everyone beg for forgiveness first. It would be better if he took off with Hermione and told them all to go to hell, but I don't think that's going to happen.

-the Jack

3. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

The fact that none of the students notice him doesn't bother me. To be honest, if a student never shows off in class, doesn't go around saying he got the top grade on a test and the highest students weren't posted for everyone to see, I don't think anyone would notice. And McGonagall seems to notice, but for some reason we don't know, dislike him so she ignores him. I think it is strange for Flitwick to ignore him though.

I didn't like that (when he did play seeker) no one noticed him. Even if the other players are really good, when you catch the snitch and win the game, someone is going to notice and congratulate you. And I do hope they give some reason for not letting him on the team. Its one thing for him to be ignored, its another when others actively take things away from him. I feel like nothing short of some sort of threat against him from someone high up would do that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  4. Anheru

Anheru Muggle

I am not so sure about this story. The fact that it skips to seventh year is the best thing.

Downside includes Harry attitude toward his brother. He is a bastard and takes full credit of everything done by Harry just to keep his cover knowing how bad Harry is treated... and Harry keeps saving his sorry arse.
    I don't want him to curse his brother to oblivion, but he can just sit back and let his brother face his own problems alone.
    Also, the entire romance thing with Hermione just doesn't add to me... Not particular reason, but a OC or no one would have been better.
    :wall: Why everybody wants to add romance to everything is beyond me...

In the end, it may not be teh best story there out, but is one of the best in the genre of "Harry is no the BWL" thing.

5. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

I'll give it a whorl beacuse you hardly let me down with your fic recs. I actually found DLP from your own fic.

Edit: Quick question. Where do you find all these fics? I couldn't type this earlier because Ultimate fighter was and is still on 2 hours tonight:) You seem to be the leader of recommended fics, just wondering how you can spot them so fast.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  6. Raggerd

Raggerd First Year DLP Supporter

I hope it moves towards Dark! Harry. Maybe even tint of Evil. If doing good things just get attributed to his brother why do them at all? Let the world burn and all that rot, it doesnt benefit him in any way.

7. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

Great read, but Harry is just such a pushover. Whats the point of being the best if all the credit goes to his brother. I would let the brother get cought like lockhhart. If i was writing this story, i would make harry disappear to find the horocruxes on his own, after discovering what they are. That is the only way Harry will ever get to distingish himself from his brother and to prove to the world how badass he really is. Why would he even protect his brother, I say let the focker get his magic sucked away by those things just to prove a point.

Harry should of taken all of the quiditch teams items and focked them up then deficated under their pellows. He should cast some charms on their uniforms, so that they disapear during the game or jinks all their brooms. It's a bit anoying seeing Harry be everyones bitch.

This story is a bit angsty for my tastes, but if Harry turned a bit more independent and took more initiative in proving what a fony his bro is, it would make the story more appealing.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Shrugs, just check new updates on 10K filter (there are maybe 2 pages per day). I don't do it every day, just when I'm bored. C2 groups help too, especially the big ones.

9. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

I do the same thing ip82 does, so i already knew about this fic... i liked it, but like you am wondering if AD knows the truth and is purposefully casting some sort of charms on harry, to "keep him safe". that would be a nice twist.

Quick question: i was wondering if we could rec fics that do not have harry as the sole point of view? Was thinking of "time, interrupted".

10. danfiel

danfiel Guest

nice fic but I sure do hope he gets over his being a push over fast so he gets to bash all the people who discriminate him. maybe a second dark lord of sorts, but not an ally of voldemort. just someone who wishes to kick the ass of all the people who mistreated him.

11. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Couldn’t agree more. 3.865 out of 5. Not great, but good.

12. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

It is a great story but what bothers me the most is that Harry might complain about not being noticed so despite that does he do things and allow his brother to get the credit, as in the flashback when voldemort was brought back. He did things to allow everyone, including his brother to think he did wandless magic. It does not bother me that he is unknown at hogwarts as he never shows off...

13. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

I don't think its so much that he wants the credit(fame-like credit i mean) its more of the fact that he wants to be noticied as seperate from his brother and to be treated as such. To add to that I was curious myself why he just didn't grow his hair out or spike or some like that.

14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

It's a great story, with only the downsides mentioned above and the fact that Hermione is his love interest. I could deal with it if the Hermione was characterized like in that story where the trio meets on the train before first year and decides to become Slytherins just to shock the world, but this Hermione is even more anal than in canon. Add to that the fact that the relationship was completely unexpected, as she was a complete bitch to him up until the very end of the last chapter, and I'm almost turned off of this fic. Too bad.

Definitely recommended, though. Great find, like always, ip.

15. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I have too agree with the point against Hermione. Not only that she has been a bitch to him for the previus 6 years but she even bossed him around while she asked him to Hogsmeade and Harry wondered why he said yes after he
    said it.

I can always hope that Dumbledore has supplied Hermione with a love potion to get Harry focused on her. (That was what they were talking about outside of the DADA room) :D

16. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Hum... then that means the love potion doesn't work well, as harry doesn't seem obssessed with her. He just acts like he wonders what she is up to :p

17. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I liked this actually. Its good. Harry does spend a little too much time sulking about the lack of attention, but then, what do you expect when absolutly nothing goes your way?

18. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

It is the apathetic Harry Potter, I have seen. I admit I am quite curious to see where the author will take the H/Hr.

I remember Hermione talking to Dumbles in one of the chapters quite seriously (or something of that sort), and then she asks him out on a Date, make me wonder if Dumbles put her up to it, so to speak. Dumbles is worried what the young potter is getting into.

Lays down the conspiracy theory cap.

But I do like the fact that most of the younger years were just a little more than a footnote.

19. CGB

CGB Auror

I usually don't like stories of this kind, but this is at least worth reading. I wouldn't call it great, but it's good enough to pass the time.
    I think this may very well be. I just hope Harry becomes dark. Not necessarily evil, but he should've mastered the unforgivables.

20. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

What i can see happening, is Danny getting himself into a grave situation, and Harry is the position to help, and walks away. OR If Harry goes evil, he could turn on his brother there and then....