1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Culinary Unusual mixed drinks and cocktails

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Marsupial, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

Post your cocktails, especially unusual combinations or rare ingredients.

I'm pretty much starting this thread as a replacement for the now-defunct GOD thread of the same theme, so some of these may be familiar to GOD people. I had pages in there, and saved most of the stuff that's worth drinking again; the ones below are pruned down to just the genuinely good combinations (which is a couple levels above 'worth drinking again').

Tea-infused vodka: chuck ~5-10 tbsp of the looseleaf tea of your choice into a 750mL bottle of (good) vodka. Let it sit for 12-18 hours, shaking occasionally. Taste periodically to see if it's strong enough. You will taste the vodka, so bottom shelf stuff doesn't really work for this. As far as teas I've had the best results with Darjeeling or Maloom teas, but they're the teas I like best anyway. Delicious straight, or in any number of combinations.

Grapefruit tea: 50mL black tea infused vodka, 30mL Giffard's Creme de Pamplemousse liqueur, couple dashes Angostura bitters. Shake over ice. My periodic tea puritanism aside, this is everything sweet tea aspires to be.

Elderflower tea: 50:50 mix of tea infused vodka and elderflower liqueur. Outside of gin and tonic, probably my favourite mixed drink. Can dilute with soda water or seltzer to dull a bit of the sweetness of the liqueur.

Peach tea: Roughly 2:1:1 ratio of tea infused vodka : Giffard's crème de pêche de vigne : soda water. Still don't have a proper, measured ratio for that, but it's pretty hard to fuck up. It's yet another on the list of ~20-30% abv drinks that taste like good, fruit-flavoured iced tea. I could probably open a bar in a nice bit of Charleston or Savannah and make bank on these things.

Licorice Orange: 2 shots ouzo, 1 shot triple sec, dash or 3 of bitters. Into a champagne flute and top off with soda water. If you like orange spice herbal teas you can work with this, and swap in a cinnamon or clove-based bitter for a very similar flavour profile. Alternately -

Bitter Spiced Orange: 3 parts ouzo, 1 part orange infused vodka, dash of Campari. Couple dashes of cinnamon bitters if it isn't in the orange infused vodka you're using. Add an amount of seltzer water equal to the total volume of booze. Same deal as above; it's broadly similar to an orange spice herbal tea. Swapping out the triple sec for vodka and adding Campari gives it a much stronger bitter note though. If you really go for bitter drinks you can use an orange peel infused vodka (no pulp, peel only) instead, and sweeten to taste with simple syrup. I prefer the result of that route personally, but orange peel infused vodka is fucking useless for everything else, so it's not usually worth it.

Whisky Marmalade: 1 shot Aalborg Nordguld aquavit, 2 shots orange juice, dash of angostura bitters, and ~1/2 shot of the smokiest, peatiest Scotch whisky you can find. Put in a highball glass and top up with carbonated water. May need to adjust the amount of whisky depending on what you use, but you can get a dead ringer for whisky marmalade in a glass doing that. Lagavulin works well as long as you never let your whisky-loving friends know you only have a bottle to use as a mixer.

Aquavit and Tonic: muddle some strips of lemon peel in a cocktail shaker, making sure to abuse the peel enough to get some essential oils going. Add 100mL aquavit and ~1tsp lemon juice, and shake without ice. Strain into a glass and top up with ~200mL tonic water. I would still use Aalborg Nordguld for this since I kind of developed a taste for it, but any aquavit would probably be at least decent.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My all time favorite party drink:

Cinnamon Toast Punch

8oz Rumchata
    4oz heavy cream and 4oz skim milk (or 8 ounces half and half)
    2 shots fireball/cinnamon whiskey
    1 to 2 shots of blue agave syrup to sweeten (YMMV) and to offset the tang of the whiskey
    1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon to stir in
    --- shake, stir, blend all ingredients until frothy
    --- add ice as desired
    --- sprinkle ground cinnamon on top after pouring to two small whiskey glasses for sharing, or to a 16oz mason jar not for sharing

Literally tastes like alcoholic Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
    You can easily multiply batches and store for parties. (I do x6 portions in empty gallon jugs and then shake and refrigerate).

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've had this. It's fucking death the next day.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the equivalent of 4-5 shots and a whole fuck ton of dairy, it is definitely not the type of thing you want to be pounding down, despite how good it tastes. Two a night maximum.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

I love bloody marys. but I like to experiment with it a bit. Some things to do to jazz them up a bit:

- Pickle juice
    - Blend mix with peeled, seeded cucumber
    - Experiment with different hot sauces; Trader Joe's sriracha is great, as is good old Cholula
    - grill your tomatoes before making your mix\
    - Pepper and/or cucumber infused vodka

The possibilities are endless. Just don't give me all that hipstery shit as garnish - fuck off with your pizza slices, your chocolate bacon, and all that. A celery stick, maybe cucumber planks.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Skinny Margarita

1 shot Reposado Tequila (Google the best bottle in your area under $30/bottle)
    2 shots pure lime juice (unsweetened - better if you squeeze it yourself, but bottled is fine)
    1/2 shot Triple Sec (Cointreau if you're a baller, but the difference is negligible)

Serve over ice, not blended.

Theory: blended margaritas want more sugar, so a sweetened lime juice concentrate would work there. This is fine as-is and goes down dangerously fast. Low sugar content helps with the next morning.

Skinny Vodka-Cran

1 shot Vodka (Costco brand if you have access - if not, the best one above bottom-shelf)
    2 shots pure cranberry juice (unsweetened - none of that "cocktail" shit)
    1/2 shot Grenadine (this is kinda optional, but good - best if you can find something actually made from pomegranate)

Serve over ice.

Theory: no idea why anybody serves these sweet. Pure cranberry juice already has a bit of sugar in it - sure, it's not very noticeable if you're drinking it straight, but the bitterness is actually an excellent moderating element for the booziness of the vodka. They cancel each other out very nicely. The grenadine is an accent - similar to the idea of adding coffee to chocolate desserts.

Alchegheela

2 shots Tequila (Reposado or Blanco - something not too rough)
    1/2 teaspoon ghee
    Lemon
    Access to flame

Pour tequila into holding container (a separate glass, or whatever). Melt ghee on stove. When fully melted, pour into tequila and stir briefly. Prepare serving glass with ice. Cut off a strip of lemon peel - avoid too much pith. Torch the lemon peel until it's lightly darkened, then twist it. Run peel over rim of serving glass, then drop into glass. Pour tequila + ghee mixture into glass. Serve.

Theory: this tastes vaguely botanical, and very little like tequila. My father said it tastes like gin. I have no idea what's going on here and want somebody else to try it. If I've discovered alchemy I want confirmation.

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, man. If ever there was a thread...

Less is more when it comes to cocktails, in my opinion.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Burt Reynolds:

Equal measure pour of spiced rum and butterscotch schnapps - shaken, then poured into a shot glass.

Top the liquid with whipped cream.

Now here's the trick. You're not allowed to use your hands to drink it. So when you go down on that bad boy like the head cheerleader after prom, you're left with a whipped cream moustache.

The Burt Reynolds.

Optional: Drink while listening to Don Williams sing 'If Hollywood Don't Need You'.