1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

USA Elections 2016

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Banta, Apr 12, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanks

Spanks Minister of Magic

This week is going to be glorious. They have to bury the email story so I imagine the Clinton campaign is going to dump every piece of dirt they have on Trump everyday until Nov 8.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait for the HBO movie about this election!

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I wonder if they can get Trump to play himself.

I'm waiting for the final Russian dump, they would likely be saving the best for last. Something to either enrage the republicans who are voting Hillary out of contempt for Trump. Or Sanders supporters who are reluctantly voting Clinton just to stop Trump.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If it doesn't come out in the next two or three days, I seriously doubt they have anything legitimate or of real significance to leak. You need to allow time for the actual "scandals" to gain media traction that will penetrate to a majority of the electorate.

The last two weeks of October really are the ultimate time to hurl your biggest bombs.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While a bit silly, it's more disturbing than that. Trump's and his surrogates' language about the rigged elections incited a woman to commit a felony, in this case, voting multiple times.

Given their rhetoric about Second Amendment solutions, violent thugs stealing the election, people "in some places, you know where they are" voting "six, seven, ten times," and the vast web of purported conspiracies among favorite alt-right targets--the press, the Clintons, the banking cabals, the Obama government, the New Black Panther movement, BLM, ACORN, etc.--and given the Bundy gang's exoneration, violence in the aftermath of the election (stochastic terrorism or armed insurrection) seems a near certainty.

5. gorlosh

gorlosh DA Member

That voter is also a crazy racist as evidenced by other articles about her.

6. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Bitch please. That wasn't even his best joke that night - the best one was definitely the "Michelle Obama makes a speech, everyone loves it, my wife makes the same speech..." joke. That was the closest thing to having a sense of humor I've seen from either candidate to date.

7. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

There's some delicious political drama brewing up in a hurry about the emails, it looks like.

The FBI apparently knew about the stuff seized in the Weiner case weeks ago. The Democrats are going to try to pin Comey to the wall for both violating FBI policy and the Hatch Act both.

8. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Career civil servants know a lot of things that aren't immediately briefed to their boss's boss's boss or whatever. If he says he was briefed about it last Wednesday or whenever it was, I take him at his word.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with the Bureau's policies on this topic, but I know the DOJ generally refuses to take any actions that could influence an election unless it's totally unavoidable. As for the Hatch Act, as someone who has to follow it myself, unless you could prove he intended to use his official office to back a candidate, he didn't violate it. That much is just political hyperbole.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    If there's one thing this election cycle has shown pretty clearly, it's that nobody is going to let a few inconvenient facts get in the way of their political narrative.

My own work experience inclines me to give Comey the benefit of the doubt about not knowing things. People use phrases like "The FBI knew about this" as if the FBI was a single monolithic hive mind. Like you said, the boss doesn't know everything all their subordinates know, and it takes time for information to work its way up the chain of command.

Last month we lost a week of work because the maintenance guy forgot to tell his boss to tell my department head that some busted equipment had been fixed, so I can understand those sorts of things happening. After all, I work somewhere with far less complicated hierarchy and job expectations than the FBI.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Yeah, as much as I was originally inclined to give Comey the benefit of the doubt, when you see Harry Reid blow the last of his political capital in his public letter he sent to Comey recommending the Hatch Act push (and leak in that letter that while there had been recommendations to examine the Russian connections to Trump's campaign Comey had refused on the count of 'waiting until after the election), this looks flagrantly partisan, especially if he knows that simply leaking 'email Clinton' to the press will start a wave and drive down poll numbers and at the very least hurt turnout, even if there's nothing there (low information voters and all that). That lack of a consistent standard is probably enough evidence to push Hatch Act to a hearing, if not a conviction. And my bet is that if Clinton won, Comey wouldn't last long - the Clintons get rid of those who don't have loyalty, and flipping open Pandora's Box like this will not be forgotten. For Comey, this might be the hail mary.

In the mean time, the poll numbers are getting closer, that final opposition research dump hasn't happened yet against Trump, and early polls are suggesting that while Hispanic and white college aged voters are favouring Clinton, black voters are not to the same extent they were Obama. Good for her in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and (maybe) Texas, not good in North Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. Hate to say it, but I've got a really bad feeling about this one.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

If your map for Hillary relies on Georgia's 14 electoral votes then there's a real problem. Worry if you see her slip in CO and NH. That's the Trump Victory map.

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

My map doesn't need Georgia, I'm just hoping to see it flip at some point in the next decade. And depressed downticket turnout in certain states pushes against the landslide Hillary and the Dems will need for consistent staying power and policy if they want to get through 2020 or even the 2018 midterms.

13. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoever politicizes federal law enforcement will get burned by it in the end. She would do well to stay away from it as much s possible, it's a third rail for her.

14. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

A very interesting article just hit about more ties between Trump and Russia

Link

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  15. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  16. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

I'm not sure mother jones is a trustworthy source.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    MJ is actually very good journalism, particularly deep investigative journalism, though they are a biased source, which colors somewhat the articles they choose to print and the stories they choose to pursue.

This is in contrast with the fucktard Washington Times, cited a page or so back.

18. kinetique

kinetique Groundskeeper

I wonder what the odds are that neither candidate is the one who will actually be running come election day, instead it's a Pence vs Kaine election.

Very low I suppose there is one week until the election, expanding that I wonder if the latest leaks and potential treasonous plots will result in people voting primarily for the running mate instead.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It will flip on it's own in the next decade based on demographic trends and the coming partisan realignment in the US. There's not going to be a landslide down ticket. You're going to see this election play out the way the gubernatorial contest between Tom Wolf and Tom Corbett did in Pennsylvania in 2014. Upticket results wholly divorced from down ballot voting.

Change "very low" to zero. The ballots are already printed, we've had a month's worth of absentee/early vote in many states by this point. There isn't even enough time left to file the petition to replace in court, reprint, and resend ballots in all 50 states even if both parties were simultaneously or individually inclined to do so.

20. gorlosh

gorlosh DA Member

Interesting, I haven't heard this belief in a while.

Not open for further replies.