1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

V for Vendetta (the movie)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ip82, May 26, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Just watched it. A brilliant movie, probably the best I've seen this year. They managed to mix interesting mystery and matrix-like action (that doesn't seem forced to look cool) and yet still keep the underlying concept intact. Brilliant job. I'm definitely going to read the comics now.

2. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I watched the movie a while ago and I thought it was awesome. I just did not get the end part, why did he sacrifice himself in the end for that girl. What a pussy, he killed himself.... He should have just killed that president dude and the group that brought him to the train station. No words, more action!

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

He didn't have a purpose to live after his vendetta was completed. It's obvious that he could never do the 9 to 5 thing after all he's been through. I don't think you grasped the point of this movie - it's not about cool fight scenes or V being an action hero and getting the girl, but about how ideas are greater than man.

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Well said. The movie was great, the themes were brilliant, and the acting was superb. I loved how you could interpret ideas in such a varied manner, even though you can't see his face. It brought an awesome depth to the movie.

Natalie Portman...i wasn't expecting much, but i have got to say, she did a stellar job as well.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The part in his make-up torture area was amazing...the whole deal with the letter written on the toilet paper, the starvation and conditioning...it was great.

BTW...how do you do the spoiler thing in the new system?

5. liath

liath Seventh Year

Yes, V for Vendetta really has me awed. It is seriously the best movie out this year.

I mean, that speech V made in the middle of the movie was awe-inspiring! I loved it. Truly, completely LOVED it!

6. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It was definitely one of the better movies I've seen this year. I can't remember who was the lead actor, but he and Natalie Portman worked well off of each other.

7. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

It was Elrond/Agent Smith...Hugo Weaving. Excellent actor. He was able to emote so many feelings without even seeing his face.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You know, that's interesting, because in the few shots where V is shown demasked/naked, I gained an impression that he's black, or at least very dark skinned.

9. True Story

True Story Third Year

He was burnt wasn't he?

10. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Yeah...he was really just a mass of melted flesh after the fire. He did, however, look big...like he was 7 foot tall, and muscular as hell. Not much like Hugo Weaving at all in that respect.

11. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Nope, he's definitely white - Just took a look online. I think it was some kind of bodystocking they used that made him look dark skinned. Meh, I don't pretend to understand the why and how of filming.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I was talking about a short scene (maybe a second long) where V is arrested by special forces (so it's before he got burned). Cops are beating a naked guy who seems rather dark skinned... or maybe that's just the lighting...

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yes, this movie was brilliant. I loved when he did that alliteration thing in the beginning of the movie.

That was great :).

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

ROFL...i remember laughing my ass off because no-one in the audience understood even a single word from that little solliloquy. It was awesome...whoever wrote it must be rather...verbose.

It actually irritates me when i talk to people who have the vocabulary of a third grader. Unfortunately there are a shitload of people like that.

I use a lot of big words in my fics...I think it was Sera who said that he actually got flames for using big words. Hasn't happened yet, so i'm somewhat optimistic about readers these days. Then again, they might just ignore it.

15. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I liked the speeches but the big words kinda got on my nerves. He is like a walking dictionary, and I didn\'t even pretend to understand what he said.

IP82 - I did understand the movie - it was about how freedom and equality are really great and all that.

By the way, did anyone get the little poem he did when he blew up that tower with natalie portman:

Remember, remember the fifth of November
    Where the gunpowder treason and rot,
    I see no reason for why the treason should be forgot,
    remember remember the fifth of November.

Quoted from memory, so it might not be completely accurate. Did anyone understand that part?

16. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    That was when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament. It was symbolizing how he was going to do the same, on the fifth of November.

Also, he was blowing up a symbol of the oppression so he said that to show how he is the new Guy. His mask is a mask of Guy.

17. Gantories

Gantories Guest

Who cares what color he was haha, it does not really matter. The movie was awesome, and I love the fact that you never see his face. It is symbolic that when you put a face to ideas, something is lost.
    I always thought that this movie was something of a cross between Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (book, not the movie), and 1984.

18. Lord Blackmore

Lord Blackmore First Year

It carried a delightfully anarchistic message.
    As I exited the theatre, I could hardly restrain myself from throwing in a window. The picture sure was an ideological as well as an emotional rollercoaster.
    A jewel, really.

19. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

LOL!

HAHAHAHA

20. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

This movie was brilliant but all the movie I felt that the directors are trying to wash my mind. Maybe just a paranoic feeling.
    The detective was an idiot like our friend cupdentard here. He didn't understood the purpose.