1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Veela talk

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Knox, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    In the Harry Potter Universe Veela are mentioned very little, besides Fleur and her sister being ¼ Veela or was it ½? But in Fannon its often debated that there are no male Veela. Except in HPDM HPSS, But surely there has to be some form of male to reproduce or perhaps they reproduce by Eggs or some other way. But what I wanted to make this for was to discuss the opinions on the Veela male, Myth, reality, or extinct.

I myself believe them to be similar to the white court Vamps from Dresden files, Both male and females and half-breeds.

So tell me whats your opinion, and if there is a another thread like this please tell me, I couldn't find any but you never know I could have missed it.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Finally, a thread about Veela! :rolleyes:

The theory of males being unaffected carriers of the veela gene is one I wouldn't scoff at if someone used it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Knox

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the idea that Veela aren't born in any normal way, but instead are like Dementors in that they're magical manifestations. If you look at the mythology behind them, Veela are a kind of Eastern European fairy/spirit, so I see them not being born but simply coming into being.

Quarter Veela and the like are then the (rare) result of a human and a Veela mating.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Isn't Blaise's mother half veela? If so, it would seem to indicate that male's may carry the 'gene' or whatever, but don't show any outward signs of it, as far as powers go.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, all we're told is that Blaise's mother is an unusually beautiful witch. It could be that there's some Veela blood there, or she could just be humanly beautiful.

Also, to the OP: There's a fair amount of discussion about Veela in the Harry/Fleur Community thread, so you may want to check that out. If I recall correctly, Tinn in particular made a very good post about genetics.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Like this thread. Or this --> the H/F Community had that topic as well.

If you don't want Taure's explanation, it's a logical conclusion -- since there are still full Veela today, there either have to be male Veela, or there is no such thing as a half/quarter/etc. Veela; meaning, Veela (Fleur's grandmother) have children with a normal wizard, and their offsprings (Fleur) have a certain chance of being a Veela as well -- but if they are, they are a full Veela.

I like that theory. It doesn't contradict Canon, since it is never stated from Fleur herself or another trustworthy source that she is a 'quarter Veela'. All we know for sure is that her Grandmother was a full one.

That theory leaves much room to work with it -- every daughter from a wizard and a Veela could be a Veela, or there could be a certain chance that is reduced throughout the generations (50%, 25 % etc.) or it could pop up randomly and skip generations, or ...

8. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

If a female veela is able to reproduce with a human than they must have sex organs similar to humans. Therefore if there are no male veela and we know one has mated with a human to produce a half breed that they must atleast have had males in the past, if not, why would they have the sexual organs to reproduce in such a way.

In conclusion, there must be male veela's, seeing as how a female was able to reproduce with a human.

9. Knox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veela#Vila

Really interesting article on the legend, though since it is Wiki a grain of salt should be taken before reading. But I thought it very good and interesting, but I still stand by my, Similar to white court theory

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I think the are both a-sexual and regular. meaning that they can create a full veela alone, or a half veela with a human [or centaur :p] male. It's ironic that a full Veela isn't born from sex, but meh.

11. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm inclined to agree with Sesc. I had thought it was a bit like the magic gene in wizards. If a wizard has offspring with a muggle, then the child would, effectively, be half-wizard. However, that child still has the full powers of a wizard, and is then considered one. Perhaps it is similar with Veela.

12. Grubdubdub

In your analog, a wizard is a Veela, but who is the muggle?

13. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, I assume the muggle would be any person that a Veela decided to mate with, but perhaps only witches or wizards would be compatible with that particular gene, since wizardry is compatible for any human, while Veela might only be compatible for magical beings.

14. Sesc

Huh? No, in his analogy, the wizard is the Muggle. The Veela is the wizard. Err... no, that didn't come out right, lol. It's easier with a witch instead.

Witch/Muggle -- either the child is magical or not. And Veela/wizard -- either the (female) child is a Veela or not. There. And, yes, that was what I meant. However it's just a theory, even if it's a nice one.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's only Harry, who has such a limited knowledge of the wizarding world, who brings up any suspicion of the existence of a half-Veela. Also, no one from Harry's POV had ever been up close and personal with one, so there's no way to judge if some Veela have a stronger 'gene' than others.

I agree with Taure; the Veela gene is a 'talent', similiar to being a metamorphmagus, yet hereditary once introduced into the bloodline.

16. Grubdubdub

My point was that in your scenario there's no full-blooded Veela's

17. Sesc

No, in contrary, there are only full Veela, because being a Veela is like having magic -- either you have it or you don't. You either are a Veela or not.

Full Veela + Wizard makes for another full Veela. And since this way, there is only one type of Veela, you don't need the 'full' thing.

18. Grubdubdub

I thought Fluer was only 1/4 Veela? Full powers or not, in your theory there's no such thing as a 'Veela Half-Blood', as it should.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I've always liked this theory:

Piers Anthony made the point that the offspring of a human would have a soul, no matter how far back in the line that human might be. A Veela (or Giant or Goblin) crossbred with human will always produce a souled creature, for the soul is the part of homo sapiens sapiens that is divine, and is functionally very nearly the definition of a genetic dominant.

So, if we apply this model to the "partially-Veela is Veela" hypothesis, then it works with just a little stretching. We can presume that the "squib birth defect" can happen in any individual, but if the Veela shows up at all, then it produces a Veela.

This theory gives me a happy for several reasons, not the least of which is that it supports my belief that there are NO "muggleborn," just a refreshed squib line.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  20. Sesc

Yes, there is no half Veela or quarter Veela -- that was the whole point of that theory in the first place.

Look at my first post, or those I've linked -- it's one of the only ways to remove the problem of the missing male Veelas. No one ever said that Fleur was a 'quarter Veela', that's purely Fanon -- it's only said that her Grandmother was a full Veela. Everything else is guessing.