1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Viridescent by darkfire1220 - M - My Hero Academia

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by MightlessPhilosopher, Jan 15, 2021.

1. MightlessPhilosopher

MightlessPhilosopher Banned

Title: Viridescent
    Author: darkfire1220
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Supernatural
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: As a child, Izuku decided it would be better if he were Quirkless than to have a power that scared everyone. Now a teenager and looking to enter U.A, he finds himself as the protege of All Might and a student of the best heroes in the nation- but there's no running from a part of you, and he's learning the hard way that you have to accept all of yourself to be a real hero.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12659220/1/Viridescent

Rating : 5/5

AU where Izuku is the son of a notorious criminal, Heat Viper, who killed thousands with his quirk while battling All Might and ends up shunned because of it. He doesn't want to use his quirk and he becomes All Might's apprentice. Eventually features international villainry.

Spectacular worldbuilding with a more interesting upktake on All For One who uses his abilities to create "chimeras" with multiple quirks using eugenics and genetics engineering.The fight scenes are very well-written and the Villain League is much more of a threat in this AU because of All For One's chimeras, who unlike the Noumu possess the same intelligence as other humans. One For All doesn't work the same way when it combines with a quirk so Izuku isn't a clone of All Might. There is drama involving All Might and Izuku's father.

This fiction isn't a canon rehash with Izuku having another quirk, it is quite a refreshing read.

The pairing is currently Himiko Toga/Izuku.

Includes acts of torture and death of main characters.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. MightlessPhilosopher

There is a troll who put a 1/5 to this story not even bothering to explain (and considering the length he didn't read it) when it is the best story by a mile among all those I put for review.

There is only one fic among all the MHA fanfics that can contend with this one in terms of quality, which I'm going to put for review too, unless nobody cares about the MhA fics in DLP.

This is quite annoying.

3. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

Hi, person who gave the 1/5 rating here.

I read this fic before it was put on the review board and didn't think it was library worthy then. Checking back I remember why.

It does a number of things anime fics do like "Izuku sweat dropped" and it is very tell over show, recapping scenes from the anime while doing little to make them interesting to read. Reading the tvtropes page it seems a number of the ideas are interesting, but when the simple act of reading the fic isn't enjoyable I rate a 1/5.

The quality of writing is bad, the only reason people think this is good just goes to show how bad the fics of the BNHA fandom really are.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  4. MightlessPhilosopher

Complaining about the fic "recapping scenes from the anime" if you stopped reading before the AU starts to kick in (as apparently you need to read the TVtropes page to find ideas you find interesting) isn't a valid argument in my opinion.

From the technical side of things, it is true there are many faults. I tend to skim over those to focus on the story unless it's really bad. I can agree with you here.

Thank you though for answering, although I still don't believe it's worth a 1/5 like, say... slash harry-veela!draco fics. I mean, even with the best writer in the world.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure I've tried reading this at least twice, but given up both times just because I couldn't be bothered to keep going with it. Let's jump in again.

The problem is that this is pretty indistinguishable from a large section of other MHA fics where Izuku is the son of a criminal (normally AfO). It splits from them in that this one uses a unique villain, and Izuku doesn't have a copy of AfO (but better). It's also (IIRC) pretty much a canon-rehash but with extra powers and swearing.

This is seen even in the little things - Izuku mutters during the Entrance Exam, get's called out by Tenya, gets called out again when going to speak with Ochaco.

One thing that stands out to me is that everyone recognizes Izuku's quirk as being the same as Heat Viper's, due to the colour of the fire, and the twin strands. Going just by the first chapter, Heat Viper's finale and arrest was over seven years ago. I'm not sure how reasonable it is to have everyone recognize his quirk so easily. Given that this recognition is one of the driving forces for the story, I can overlook it, I guess, but on each and every re-read it's been the same.

One thing that's pretty common in MHA fics (amongst other fandoms, to be honest) is the animezation of the text. The characters sweat drop, or an entire crowd call something out in unison. It's not really a sin, but it's not something I'm fond of reading - there's no need for it to be so over the top in text, where it's possible to actually explain it better using words. Similarly, you can have conversations that ricochet too much, where the author's trying to use visual comedic timing, and this also doesn't translate well to text.

This isn't a great fic, by any stretch. But compared to the rest of the MHA fandom, it's not terrible. Maybe if MHA is one of your early fandoms as a reader, this would be great, but it's a bit lacking. 3/5

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  6. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Methuselah Honeysuckle Squib

1/5

Fanfictions like this are just shitting on the beauty of MHA and Izuku's character in particular. MHA is one of the few mangas/animes where the protagonist is actually the underdog, not just portrayed as one, but in truth they have an OP ability/talent. The reason why Izuku in cannon has troubles speaking to people and such is because he's been the outcast pretty much his entire adolescent life, getting put down by his peers daily and it's something he can't do anything about. The Izuku in this fic is just a little bitch who puts himself down. "Oh, I hope they won't be mean to me 'cuz of my daddy issues, let's pretend I don't have powers, so they have something to be mean to me about." You can't just change one of the fundamental traits of a character and then have the same character.

Also, what's up with the copy-pasted scenes? Like, I get following cannon, but that's another level of lazy and uninspired.

And, I guess, the author wasn't happy that cannon was lacking it, so they decided to add some old-fashioned japanese weirdness by making Eri super attached to Izuku, because what else screams "a good guy" more than a dude taking care of a cute loli.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Is this My Hero Academia? I’m going to edit to add that since it wasn’t clear in OP.

And welcome to DLP @MightlessPhilosopher - good to see some newer members engaging with the forum.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021