1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

VPN for china.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Clampert, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Clampert

Clampert First Year

High Score:
    I'm currently stuck in china for work reasons and will remain here for at least the rest of this month.

I'm starting to feel withdrawl symptoms from missing out on my podcast etc.

So could someone recommend a good vpn that works well in china? The ones I've tried seem to be blocked.

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

oVPN comes to mind, don't think they're blocked in China. Other alternatives would probably be services like ExpressVPN and VyprVPN. There's dozens of others, a quick Google search should give you plenty of services.

Of course, you could also simply use Tor, though that would be rather slow.

3. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Most popular vpn when I was in china last year was astrill.

Whenever theres a big push for shutting down vpns, they're shut down first but are usually the first to find a workaround.

edit: eew, looks like Astrill's been directly drawing a lot of aggro recently ;/

Also, here's a list of useful vpns http://i.imgur.com/4R7BLno.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  4. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

You can have a friend setup openvpn for you at their house, and use that. China will almost certainly try to find big VPNs and block them- but it would be very difficult for them to find ones made by individuals and block those.

5. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

TOR would be good until you find a better alternative. Get TOR and then use that to find something better.

6. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It also matters what isp you are using. I recommend that everyone contact the person who arranged for your internet service (real estate agent, compound service center, yourself), and they should contact China Telecom to apply for the service called VIP China Telecom. In Chinese it is called 电信精品网. This service will give you a faster and more stable connection to overseas websites.

Again, my knowledge is a bit dated. I left China a little over 1.5 yrs ago so take it with a grain of salt. Generally the vpn squishing happens on a yearly basis for about a month before they get lifted.