1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wasted Potential fics.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Johnnyseattle, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So I just got done reading the Albus Potter series. It had some great takes on some of the magical theory concepts and all, and I quite liked some of the OCs, but at the end of it all it just kind of... drifted I guess, for lack of a better thought. There are a lot of fics out there like this - POTDK of course, due to just cruelly disappearing halfway though the last book, the Triangle Prophecy trilogy due to the worst ending ever for an otherwise great tale (for its time at least, I refuse to read it again), and others.

So what fics for you were just unfulfilled potential?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I remember following Unsung Hero by MeghanReviews when it was released and have never been so disappointed in a fanfiction story. The fic had started out well (for its time and my level of fanfiction pickiness at the time) and ended with middle finger to the readers.

As well, I'd probably include every novel-length fic by Jeconais. They all start out with an interesting premise, but midway through they lose all semblance of conflict as Harry becomes ultra-mega, everyone loves him for it, he gets the gal (or gals, as often as not), and rides off into the fluffy sunset.

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Slightly different concept, but Hit The Ground Running was a fantastic fulfillment of a common concept - the Horcrux wakes up - which then ruined everything with its final chapter.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Could you remind what happened in a spoiler tag that makes you think that? I've read the story and all that I remember now is that it was pretty good. And that Carnivorous Muffin's sequel never got up and running, mumble grumble.

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To quote Taure

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Something from DLP's own stable, Silens Cursor's Criminal Limit, the abandoned sequel to Renegade Cause. I've written often and at length about why I love RC and consider Criminal Limit one of the great losses of the fandom.

Unless @Silens Cursor wants to finish it sometime. hint hint nudge nudge Though as I understand he's quite busy irl with his day job, YT channel and original fiction writing.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll echo the shouts for PotDK and Unsung Hero, and nominate Regulus' R Series, a seven year AU which started off as an enjoyable if slightly darker take on canon, with Tonks de-aged to be Harry's contemporary, leading into a sweet if clichéd romance between them, before turning into full blown Dark!Harry, who was thoroughly unpleasant to read, prone to Dumbledore bashing, and then basically seemed to be positioned as a seven book prequel to the series the author wanted to write. Silens wrote a brilliant demolition of it somewhere, I'll try and find it once I've slept.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Wastelands got away from me a little bit - lack of forward planning, in hindsight. Wasted oxymoron.

Heartlands could have saved it, but it's been the best part of half a decade... unlikely. I'll finish it, but I'm looking forward to heading into a fresh field and planting anew.

9. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I think I gave up on that series when Tonks cheated on Harry. At that point I was not enjoying the story.