1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Web Fiction Recommendations

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Bramastra, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I just came back from reading Worm, and I was wondering if there were any other web seials like it not in the library.

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I don't know any good ones outside of the library. If you're interested in quality Worm fanfiction, check out this thread. Future requests should probably go in the Story Search subforum here.

Edit: Actually, an official recommendation thread here for web comics might be a good idea.

And here's the web fiction rating site that Worm links to.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Oz
  3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=143

Check out Pact, A Grey World, Caelum Lex, Mother of Learning, Lovelace and The Lay of Paul Turner.

E: apparently I can't read tonight and you've checked out the library already. I have one or two others bookmarked that you might be interested in, but it'll have to wait until I'm home.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Thanks fontisian ill check that site out

5. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Well, for fun try Looking For Group or 8-bit Theater, Order of the Stick is damn good. Girl Genius is awesome, specially if you're a fan of Steampunk. Will add more if I remember.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I second Mother of Learning. Good stuff.

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

8. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Worm finished quite some time ago, iirc. The table of contents is complete.

9. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Well while looking through web fiction guide I found this, its about a teenager named Hector Goffe who after dying is revived by a grim reaper to become his servant. Its looking out to be pretty good even though Hector seems kind of bitchy

10. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

11. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Some of it is, some of it very isn't. I'd recommend the Jade stuff as very good.

12. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

About the Whateley Universe where would you reccomend to start

13. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Well this is the old recommended reading order. Mostly its publication order but some later works have been inserted into their logical place. It doesn't contain the more recent works but that's not really an issue at this stage.

I wouldn't recommend reading in this order, though. You'll be suffering through characters you hate to get to ones you like.

If you think you can stand some bad stuff, start reading on that list and after you've been introduced to the main characters characters (Chaka, Fey, Jade, Tennyo and Phase) pick your favourites and just read them in order.

If you don't want to do that, read Enter The Chaka! (it is something of an intro piece), then skip straight to the Jade stories. They are by Babs Yerunkle, so just search for that name on this list, which contains all stories.

The Jade stories contain transgender elements (like all Whateley stories) but treat it more seriously than the others. All too many stories follow this pattern: boy -> oops, you're a girl now -> woe is me -> girl now and okay with it -> ignore was ever a boy. The Jade stories keep it relevant and make it an important part of the plot. They are well written, mirror Worm in the making creative use of a weak power sense and have a lot of emotion. They also have a fairly independent plot meaning you don't need to know what other characters are doing to enjoy them.

If you like Jade, you can check out Babs Yerunkle's other character Jobe. He comes latter in the time line but is very fun. Think, mad scientist who is almost as good as he thinks he is.

Other popular authors are Dr. Bender and Diane Castle. Dr. Bender takes the cthulhu mythos parts of the setting and runs with them full speed. Sara Waite is his main character. She's probobly a bit too powerful but the writings good.

Diane Castle joined later than the other authors and so wrote her stories to fit in. If you notice Phase seems a bit different in his own stories that's why. I've never been her biggest fan but she's mostly competent. I do think everything comes off a bit softer when she writes it. Yerunkle's wrote a Jade who'll quite happily stab you if she's got a reason and not think a thing about it. Diane writes a Jade who does something 'wacky', is told off and says 'Poo'. Still, Diane very popular among the fans so maybe I'm just weird.

14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Wow that list almost scared me off until I decided to read enter the chaka

15. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

So, other web fiction.

If you like superheroes there's Legion of Nothing, a superhero story about the grandchildren of golden age super heroes taking up their forbearer's mantels. It's been running for a while now meaning there's a lot to read, has a varied cast and some nice development. On the down side, the writing can be a little dry at times (fairly unemotional which is strange since it's first person).

I also quite like Star Harbor Nights. It is also about superheroes but no long updates and, indeed, the site is gone from the web.

There's something of an unofficial classification system among superheroes: Street, roof, and sky.

Streets is your pulp-style heroes (no powers or only minor ones.). Roof is for roof jumpers, people with some kind of power who can leap from rooftop to roof top. Sky is the cape-and-tights crowd.

The ensemble cast of mostly independent characters covers most of these, along with their individual genres.

There's Perfect Jones, a highly competent if slightly unhinged young woman just starting out as a street level pulp style hero. She has no superpowers but pulp style heroes in this universe normally have something called the Darkwell Trait, a genetic mutation which makes them the best human can be. (Not everyone with it is a superhero, however. Jones' father is a US Senetor and he has it to.) She has a stuffed bunny rabbit she talks to when slightly goes to very unhinged.

She fights/fucks/works with Ray Vallenzio. He gained fire control powers as a result of a someone involved back story involving revenge and bad deals.

Another super hero the story follows is Allison Powers aka Mindfyre. She's a super powerful flying psychic with energy manipulation powers. There's also some special properties to her powers which means she's of interest to a number of powerful factions.

She occasionally mistaken as the lesbian lover of her friends Amphitrite Waters, the daughter of two of the most powerful superheroes in the world. The story sort of plays it as a want-to-be movie star (Allison) being friends with the daughter of a Hollywood megastar. Allison tries not to abuse the friendship.

There's a number of other superheroes who get stories less often but I don't remember much about them.

The most memorable villain is Rhyme, an utterly insane genius. She's a Double Darkwell, meaning she inherited the trait from both parents. She used this combine half-forgotten secrets of Atlantean alchemy with modern molecular chemistry to create dangerous concoctions that defy explanation from both magic and science, to quote the story.

The internet archive seems to have most of it so start reading here if you are interested http://web.archive.org/web/20080501120938/http://www.starharbornights.net/content/view/38/23/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  16. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

And now a piece of me wonders why some of DLP's authors do not do this, ie create a little shared universe and throw some stories out there into the interwebz (or more likely, a public sub-forum here).

We have more than enough creative power spread among a bunch of crazy-talented folks. I know launching something like this is probably a handful, but once the shared 'rules' of the universe are laid out, the individual writers can go crazy, spinning off in any direction, planning cross-overs, etc.

It could be a great creative outlet for original ideas, a place to practice writing technique, and a community-building exercise all rolled into one.

17. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Why not upload it to fictionpress?

18. Pixie

Pixie Muggle

I was just looking around for web fiction recommendations.

Anathema is a lot like Worm, but is still being updated. There's three POVs and it has a bit of a slow start, then again so did Worm. Everything starts coming together after the first few arcs when POV parallels emerge.

19. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Indeed, why not? Sounds like you're taking the lead on this. Let me know how it goes, or if you need contributors.

20. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

I second golan's nomination as cat herder and chief.