1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Web page help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DemonDream, Jul 21, 2008.

1. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I'm building a web page for my dad, and I need to know how to set it up so you can create accounts and receive e-mails sent to names under that domain.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That's some pretty broad information you're asking for there. I think what you're saying is that you have to set up a web server and a mail exchanger for your dad. He's really thrown you in the deep end hasn't he?

If you can be more specific, then I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. I only know enough about the subject that I wouldn't try to set one up without doing research on it.

Answer some question for us, so that we can help you:

1. Is this server being set up on a box at home, or is it on a hosted server in a data center, or somewhere else?

2. What OS is on the box, and can you change it?

3. What else is the box going to be doing besides serving web pages and emails?

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

In addition, you've provided no idea what your platform is. You're going to need to get a hosting account somewhere and point the domain at it and setup the emails through the Control Panel, because honestly I doubt your ability to successfully run and manage a webserver + mailserver.

4. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

The Mail Transfer Agent seems to be what I need. He's already gotten someone to build him a page and has it on a server (Hosted by Aplus.net, I believe), he just wants to be able to send/receive E-mails from an address hosted on that domain.

Is it really that advanced? I'm fairly new at the coding thing, if you say its very high level, I'll tell him I won't be able to do it yet.

5. yak

Just to make things clear, you already have a web server with a public domain that is up and running now? That is: if you type in an URL, such as www.demondreamsdad.com it takes you to his site?

If that's the case then your solution is hopefully much easier than I thought.

You use aplus.net. After a quick look, I'm assuming that he's using one of the web hosting plans. They all come with email addresses (starting at 50 addys for a personal plan up to 3600 for the Premium Business plan).

Click Support, Go to the Knowledge Base. And you'll find your answer right at the top there. Items 3, 4 and 6 all go through to exactly the same answer page.

3. How do I configure my POP3 email accounts?
    4. How do I setup my email?
    6. How do I set up my Aplus.Net e-mail?

Seeing as you're using a paid service, you might as well use their free support. You can even chat in real time with their Shared Hosting Support Team. The link is on their Support page.

I hope I've understood your problem properly.

6. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Thats exactly the info I needed. Thanks for the help!

7. yak

Sweet. We've gone from impossibly broad problem to solved in 2.5 hours.