1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Well okay, fuck you too Blizzard

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Oct 13, 2010.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Hellooooo PR fiasco. Activision just don't give a shit, do they?

3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Well, they are playing to their main audience, who happen to love autocratic fascist regimes.

Oh wait, that's the country slightly north of their main audience. Whatever, no real difference. Not to them, apparently.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Wow. Well, I can kind of see the first one actually.

What I got out of the first link was that the single player cheaters were getting single player achievements. If you use the cheat codes that are sanctioned by Blizzard then the game automatically turns off your ability to get achievements and apparently these weren't doing that.

And, of course, since your achievement points are a large part of your SC2 epeen they wanted to make sure that no one was using any enhancement tools.

Solution -- Do your single player cheating offline where Blizzard can't see you?

Still does seem a bad reason to get banned for that long though. I could see like a 24 hour warning ban or something as more reasonable.

The Nexus Word Wars Map :( Now I know why I haven't been able to find it again. I liked that one -- it was basically a typing game for SC2.

Stupid ass reason to permanently ban that guy from publishing his map. Dyke? Seriously? Let him remove the word or give him the damn list of "words he can't use" and let him take them all out.

Good links JohThePyro.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

For the single player cheats-Who cares what portraits (which is really only what mattered) you have? I beat the single player campaign on a cracked version, then re-installed when I actually bought the game. I literally have only the default portrait, and never rebeat the game.

If you don't like that someone unfairly won achievements, just remove them from the offending accounts with a warning. Essentially stealing $60 from someone who bought your game is a cockslap to the face of their costumers.

6. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You should already know what to expect from this game. Isn't selling one product as three and stripping it from vital options (LAN!!!) a clue enough?

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Normally I'm all for piling on a big company for fucking the little guy, but that's bullshit and anyone who's played the game knows it.

Yes Lan should have been included, so that is a valid point. However the main campaign is easily long enough to satisfy any player, and the multiplayer is addicting enough to be it's own game. The only way you could honestly call this "one product shipped as three" is if you were higher than I am when I play minecraft.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It is a sad sign that blizzard has become so secure in themselves to make money, no matter what, that they can make stupid stunts like this.

Also, I thought you couldn't really play this game offline, hence which is why they were able to catch that dude in the first place.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, Activision at it again. Shame to see it happen, but at least I threw away all my relations to that company oozing anal seepage a while ago :\

Edit: weren't all achievements turned off if you input a cheat code...? So I heard, when playing the campaign, anyways.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@Clerith -- they are turned off if you use the Cheat Codes that came with the game. They were using something external.

@JohnThePyro -- it might be stupid to care about that stuff, but a lot of players do because of the whole "epeen" mentality.

I don't care personally, but I could see enough of those players making up the fanbase that Blizzard needed to address it.

That said they should have done it a bit more tactfully.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Expansions have always existed. What Blizzard is doing with the SC2 expansions is nothing new.

The lan thing is a dick move, though, I agree.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kiiiiinda. The games, when shipped, have always allowed the player to go through all three race's campaigns. Starcraft II was going to allow this as well, until someone decided to split them up into three separate games.

I'm not sure they gave a reason for the switch, but there's some speculation about it. Mostly people think that Bobby Kotick did it for more money, and thus are not too happy with the decision.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

They did give a reason for the switch. Basically what it came down to is they asked the fans if they'd prefer a system where they gave fragmented stories over the expansions or just to tell the whole story, but restrict it to a race a piece.

The fans preferred the latter.

14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure about that, but okay.

Anyway, to be on topic: Activision/Blizzard can eat a bag of dicks. I'm really not liking their approach on this issue.

15. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I just have to put up with Activision's bullshit until they release Diablo 3, then I don't have to give a shit until 2020 when they release the next wave of sequels.

Their cuntfuckery knows no bounds.

16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I know Activision is this huge, evil company, but isn't Blizzard mostly autonomous?

17. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Kotick thinks the goose will lay more golden eggs if it's fucking terrified of losing it's job.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is why I hate that games are using online verification and check ins now. Once I purchase the software I should be able to do what the fuck ever I want with it, save for reboxing it and renaming it as something I created.

Curse words in a map? Cheating in single player, are you fucking serious? This is worse then EA's move in the near future to selling licenses to be able to play used multiplayer games online.

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I don't quite agree with that. This looks like just plain laziness (which is bad). Likely Blizzards anticheat looked for the same file or memory modifications used by both offline and online cheats. It probably couldn't identify between the two, so they just wholesale cleaned house.

With EA's move, it's clearly a long term strategy towards increased revenue with less development costs.

The industry has been moving towards the idea of smaller single player, larger multiplayer for years. it started with MMO's, but now you increasingly see it with FPS games, TPS, even sports titles.

Now a days, it's completely acceptable to have a 4 hour single player campaign, and still get a 9.5 review from IGN (MW2).

Truth be told I've been seeing this "charging for used multiplayer" thing coming for a while. When I first bought my xbox 360 in the summer, I had come purely from a PC perspective, and was surprised when I found that used games could still access multiplayer. It's a whole different experience from the PC market, where companies have used the "piracy" excuse to virtually eliminate the used games market.

The only reason used games are still around are because of big box retailers like gamestop, which use their leverage to fight game companies from completely destroying their #1 revenue stream.

20. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Fixed.

Because when Activision Blizzard announced that most people reaction was: "Wait... they just chopped up one game into three?"

Then again ever since that whole merger... Blizzard seems to have gotten more... evil lately.