1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What are the implications of Amortentia smelling like what you actually love?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's heavily implied in canon that Amortentia smells of things you love (like?). Hermione apparently smells freshly mown grass, parchment and Ron's hair (according to JKR), and Harry smells treacle tart, broomsticks and "something flowery from the Burrow" which turns out to be Ginny.

It's also apparently researched in the Department of Mysteries.

My thoughts on this is that Amortentia probably works by making the consumer associate what they do love with whoever the potion is keyed too. But it seems strange to me that in the world of Harry Potter that magic as powerful as love can be hoodwinked in such a way. It doesn't sit quite right with me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Love is just an emotion. Is Amortentia any more egregious than the Imperio curse? With your take on it, it's basically a directed, potion-version of a confundus charm, no? Mixing wires and associations in the brain?

Been a while since I read canon, but Amortentia not being an 'unforgivable' (I bring up being a while since I've read canon bc it might be demonized, I don't remember) always rubbed me the wrong way. It's been shown that spells can be resisted, but can a potion? Dark shit.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think it's anything so scientific.

Amortentia makes your fall in love, by the simple mechanism of making you fall in love. It's magic.

The smelling things you love is a side effect of being hit with love magic.

4. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

It's about attraction, not love, creating love is impossible after all. This is what Hermione says about the smell
    And this is how Slughorn describes the effect
    I think it's no more complicated than this potion making the user one of the things they're most attracted too.

5. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

It's more than attraction though-- Tom Riddle Sr. was engaged to be married when he immediately dropped his entire life to run off with Merope Gaunt. And from everything we know, that wasn't even necessarily Amortentia but quite possibly some lesser sort of love potion (unless Merope was secretly a Potions mistress off screen).

That speaks to obsession and mind control much more than just finding someone sexy.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Anxiety.

If you love the smell of lavender, for example, and you know that Amortentia for you smells like lavender... you're gonna do things like walk into a random co-workers house, smell lavender, and get a fucking anxiety spike because fuck, what if they're dosing you with love potion?

Probably leads to you not loving the smell as much and your Amortentia smell changing, and creating an anxiety spiral.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And thus you exist in an ever rotating cycle of bezoars and calming draughts? Assuming bezoars work on love potions of course.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The magic of the potion reads your mind. It then makes you think you smell something you like, but in reality it's just an illusion.

Also, if Amortentia affects the mind then I suspect it can be fought with Occlumency just like Veritaserum can.

9. Ched

I thought Occlumency > Veritaserum was fanon? Assuming that canon means the initial seven books only (which granted not everyone agrees with me there).

10. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

While it's only been explicitly confirmed outside the books by Rowling, Snape's description of it in the book seems to include things like it clear enough.

this is how Snape describes it.
    A potion that influences the mind seems a clear enough case of a external magic that penetrates the mind, making Occlumency a fitting defence.

This is Rowling also confirming that it works against Veritaserum on her old website.
    We also see that it explicitly works on things beyond simple legilimency and can be used to block the connection between a horcux and a master soul, since both Voldemort and Harry use it to protect their minds from each other.

This is the confirmation of Voldemort's use
    and this is Harry's use
    Overall I'd say that it would work against love potions as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  11. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I suppose, but even discounting Rowling's statements, you need some reason for Veritaserum usage to not be standard procedure in the justice system.

12. Ched

I feel like it's not hard to come up with plenty of those, from having a right to refuse to incriminate yourself to the materials being too expensive to it being possible to tell truths that don't tell the truth they want.

I'm not opposed to Occlumency blocking Veritaserum. That's a great idea that's been used regularly. I've used it myself. That just doesn't make it canon.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Pottermore + JKR interviews

EDIT: Ninja'd

14. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Didn't Snape use Occlumency to be a spy and lie directly to Voldemort's face? Although not explicitly stated in canon, I think it works within canon and is somewhat sensible since it is related to lying or presenting false information as if you truly believe it.

If veritaserum can access some objective truth of the universe, then occlumency might not work, but since the person has to drink the potion and they are the ones compelled to tell the truth, it seems to be mind magic of some sort.

Edit: Since Amortentia can smell like something you love despite not interacting with you in any physical way, I think it accesses some objective truth rather than getting the information from your mind. I think this works because only you can smell that thing, so it is a secret that still belongs to you (inspired by Rowling's talk about the fidelius charm and Taure's Victoria Potter).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  15. Nogan

Nogan First Year

I don't think Britain has a right to not incriminate yourself, so I'd be surprised if magical Britain did. That also means not answering the question (assuming that's what you mean by telling truths that don't tell the truth they want) probably leads to the court assuming the worst. Expense works to an extent, but e.g. trying Death Eaters that claim to have been under the Imperius seems important enough to shell out for it.

16. Ched

Sure? My point is that for any fanfic and/or fanfic author in particular, you can write in any number of things if you don't want occlumency to beat veritaserum.

My entire point was that it's still fanon (imo, as I only consider the books to be canon).

I was bringing up those points in opposition to someone else stating that it has to counteract veritaserum, otherwise things don't make sense. My point was purely that there are other options if you want to explore them and that it doesn't magically make this appear in the books.

Counter arguments were brought up to showcase that (1) my view of canon is nonstandard and (2) a point that I agree with, which is that occlumency is the BEST option for countering veritaserum if you are brainstorming for a fic. It makes the most sense.

I don't know why I feel so strongly that everyone missed my point there.

17. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I didn't miss your point, I just wanted to show that there was some stuff in canon that I think made one option more likely. Of course, that doesn't mean it's absolutely the case beyond doubt.