1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary What Did YOU Make Last Night?

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by pbluekan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chive omelette for life.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, I'm familiar with most traditional egg preparations, especially those usually associated with breakfast (quiche, omelettes, various cooking styles, etc etc). Was really hoping for more dinner-esque, outside-the-box recipes.

3. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Here's my offering for the dinner-egg gods: cauliflower sformato

[​IMG]

• cauliflower 1 large, leaves removed
    • olive oil
    • sage a small bunch, chopped
    • butter 80g
    • red onion 1, finely chopped
    • plain flour 80g
    • milk 800ml
    • parmesan (or veggie alternative) 50g, grated
    • english or dijon mustard 1 tsp
    • eggs 5 large
    • kale 100g, washed and shaken dry
    • pine nuts 75g
    • caster sugar 1 tsp, heaped
    • smoked paprika a generous pinch
    Method

• STEP 1

Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cut the cauliflower into florets and add to a snug roasting tin in a single layer. Drizzle over 2-3 tbsp of olive oil, scatter on the sage and season, tossing to mix. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes – 1 hour, or until soft and lightly caramelised in places. Stir once or twice during cooking to make sure it roasts evenly.

• STEP 2

While the cauli is roasting, melt the butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in large pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until it’s soft. Sprinkle in the flour and stir well over the heat for a minute. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking until you have a sauce. Bring to the boil, then bubble for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until thick and creamy. Stir through the parmesan and mustard and season. Take off the heat.

• STEP 3

Once the cauli is roasted, cool for a few minutes, then chop into little pieces of about 1-2 cm. Leave the oven on. Beat the eggs into the cheese sauce, then gently stir through the chopped cauliflower. Pour into a buttered and lined 23cm springform cake tin and bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. It should be set but with a touch of wobble to the centre.

• STEP 4

Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then put a large dinner plate over the top and invert it onto the plate. Release the latch on the tin and remove the baking paper, then put a serving plate over and invert once more so it’s top-side up.

• STEP 5

To make the garnishes, spread the kale out into a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil, tossing well to mix. Season, then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until crisp.

• STEP 6

Add the pine nuts, sugar and smoked paprika to a small frying pan and put over a medium high heat. As the sugar begins to melt, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Cook for a few minutes until golden and caramelised, then cool a little on a plate.

• STEP 7

Scatter the crispy kale and pine nuts over the sformato and cut into wedges to serve. It tastes great hot or at room temperature.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    That looks delicious, although two solid hours of prep and cook time is probably a nonstarter for weekdays.

5. pbluekan

pbluekan Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This looks like it’s gonna be my tomorrow night. The virtues of working from home. Guess I’ll put that salmon off.

6. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Egg Curry seems to be similar to shakshouka in that both have a tomato base, but the eggs are hard boiled here. I think you could also get away with subbing in boiled eggs for protein in a butter chicken recipe. Dunno how easy it would be to find the spices though.

7. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

• 2 teaspoons coriander powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 teaspoon garam masala
    • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
    • ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder

Uh. Pretty damn easy, I should hope. Perhaps sub Kashmiri chili powder for a local blend, but I'd expect to find the rest in just about any grocery store.

8. Zerg_Lurker

True enough. I live in a major city and there's a smattering of Indian groeries where I can get authentic stuff and bigger chains will carry some in the Asian section, but my girlfriend lives in a pretty bumfuck (read: rural white) middle-of-nowhere town and would have to drive an hour into another state to find garam masala.

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just order it online. Easy enough.

10. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

The first three or four attempts were pretty shite, but I think I'm finally able to make macarons with some level of consistency. Using this recipe (3 egg whites = 100g), and the method finally clicked after a got a visual (from this video) of the correct consistency for the final mixture.

11. TieHat

TieHat Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Holy shit @Marsupial those look like the kinds you can buy in stores. The most complex thing I can make is pasta so kudos to you mate.

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

[​IMG]

Treacle tart: Harry's favorite.

Unfortunately, the filling ran over the top of the crust on the way to the oven, due in no small part to a rather poorly placed cat...

I threatened to eat it with whipped cream, some of the Butterfinger ice cream I made a while back, and some ButterShots, with a fork in one hand, and the phone set to dial 911 in the other. I just went with the whipped cream.

Yes, occasionally we like a thick bottom.

13. pbluekan

pbluekan Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I decided to bring my kitchen back to my ashkenazi roots tonight and made some kasha varnishkes with noodle kugel for dessert. They’re not particularly attractive dishes, but honestly most foods from Eastern Europe don’t look terribly pretty, but fuck if they aren’t good.

Kasha Varnishkes is simple, tasty, and can either be health neutral to an artery clogger.

For enough to serve three people, assuming side dishes, this is the recipe:

A couple cups of diced onion cooked down in a skillet on medium to low until it withers (~10 mins). Then you add about half a cup of animal fat (lard, bacon fat, etc) or olive oil and sauté those onions till they’re nice and golden brown.

While you’re doing that, put about a cup and a third of water on to boil and when it does, add about 3/4 cups of kasha (buckwheat) and a teaspoon ish of salt. The kasha should take 15 mins or so to cook. It’s like rice. Also cook some farfalle(sp?) and set it aside when it’s aldente.

When everything is done cooking, add the finished kasha to the onions and let that mix sizzle for a bit before adding the pasta and some pepper for taste.

Boom, yer eating like you’re back in the shtetl.
    [​IMG]

The noodle kugel is a dessert casserole thing. It’s pretty much a mishmash of eggs, sour cream, sugar, noodles, and raisins that will harden your arteries faster than you can say Gal Gadot.

Ingredients:

1 lb of wide egg noodles. Go kosher for the authentic feel.
    2 lbs of cottage cheese. I prefer a mix of large and small curd.
    2 cups sour cream.
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup raisins (I like to add some more Mediterranean flair and go with chopped dates)
    2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
    A dozen eggs.
    1 stick of butter. Melted.

Process:

Preheat your oven to 375

Cook the noodles in salted boiling water for a few minutes until they are still very firm, but chewable. Strain and cool with water and then set aside.

Mix the other shit together.

Grease a Pyrex baking dish big enough for all of it.

Add the noodles to the bowl of other stuff and gently homogenize that mixture. That means mix well but gently.

Pour into your baking pan and then bake for anywhere between 40 minutes and an hour. I usually time it for when the sides are a dark dark brown and the top is a nice golden brown. You basically want the custard (egg mix) to set properly.

[​IMG]

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    If anyone would like a really low calorie, yet absolutely decadent dessert, here is my extra-skinny (and fantastic) Berries Romanoff.

2 - 3 oz fat free sour cream (40 - 60 cals)
    (--optional to reach desired thickness--) 2 tbsp skim milk or liquid milk substitute (cals are negligible)
    1 tbsp brown sugar stevia/artificial blend (20ish cals)
    1 tbsp truvia (cals are negligible)
    1/2 shot of Grand Mariner or Cointreau (40 cals)
    Your choice of fresh berry (frozen berries are fine too, just don't microwave them to unfreeze; always room temp or hot water thaw.)

Instructions are simple:

1. Stir all wet ingredients together in a cup, adding milk last to reach desired thickness.
    2. Pour onto 2 cups of chilled berries (your choice but I think mixed blueberries/raspberries/blackberries is the best flavor combo).

If you use a juicy berry (aka not strawberries), the strong flavors of the brandy and berry juice mixing will completely mask that weird aftertaste of the sugar substitutes, making it fairly indistinguishable from regular Romanoff sauce.

15. Zerg_Lurker