1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 18 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Maelstorm212, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

What do you guys do career wise? College student looking for fresh perspectives, so I thought I'd post here.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I work at a gas station. Not really a "career," and not really a "living," but it's better than being unemployed I guess.

3. Aetius

Aetius Disappeared

High Score:
    I recently joined the Royal Australian Air Force and I work in Intelligence. It's not for everybody, but I love my job.

4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Teach English remotely via the internet.

No, really. Pay is alright - especially with how terrible the Canadian dollar's been for the past year or so - schedule is suitably flexible, and it is also quite literally the only job I could find. It was this, illegal contract work in a trade I don't actually know but am pretty sure I could bluff my way through, or door to door sales.

Hoping to eventually be able to work in a lab performing/assisting research, but well, with the job market what it is for biologists, it genuinely seems I might be better off making money off the fact that I'm white and speak my native tongue reasonably well than off the field I've spent the last three and a half years of my life on.

5. Legacy

Legacy Order Member DLP Supporter

Work in management for a chain restaurant. Obviously not the long term career choice I want to follow through with but it allows me to afford rent, food, school and fun in my life. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but if I was to continue working in this industry I would have to work at a smaller location and not in a chain. Somewhere I can have control over the menu and be able to get creative from time to time.

6. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

I'm a front-end software engineer. It's pretty awesome.

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Supreme Mugwump

Unemployed, but work as a carer for a family member.

I'm actually in a good position - my last job was in one site of four across the UK, but the building was due to be demolished. As I didn't want to move across the country for a job I didn't love, and lose any upwards progression I'd been making, I started saving several months in advance. Along with redundancy pay, I live mostly on that now. With the caring for a family member, I don't have a complete hole in my CV, I have some form of income, and it allows me to actually look for a career, rather than a job.

That said, I really wouldn't recommend it. Gaps in employment look fishy, and it's really easy to completely lose track of time when you don't have a weekly schedule.

EDITED IN

I was a PPI Case Handler, which involved dealing with the PPI complaints made to the bank. I worked in review (deciding whether you got money back), redress (deciding how much you got back), and remediation (reviewing old cases just in case we should have given money back).

It was actually a pretty easy job, because very little was on your head - there were strict guidelines on when you'd give someone their money back, and the process we followed was designed to be easy to follow. However, there's multiple companies working in this area (all on contract to banks, we're rarely directly employed by the bank) and there's all sorts of different contracts. I was in the office for 8 hours, and was expected to hit 4.5 cases a day; the office over the road was 4 cases, 7 hours, but if you screwed up 2 times in 1 month you got fired; and the guys upstairs were on 42 cases per week, whatever hours they felt like.

Yes, we did all hear about a guy who worked his ass off, saved up 41 cases, then put them all out on the monday by 1300 and left for the week.

AFAIK, it's a British thing, rather than international. But if you took out any loans, credit cards, or mortgages since 1980 then you should contact all your banks, and tell them you didn't know you had PPI. PM me for more details.

I'd definitely recommend it as a short term job, because the pay was really good considering the requirements (have a degree, be able to speak English). However, some of the areas can be utterly soul crushing, and the hours were stupid (1500-2300).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  8. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Ops Agent for the largest International delivery company in the world, I won't mention the name as their 'Internet police' are everywhere but sufficed to say the German flag might as well be our uniform. I primarily in charge of data entry regarding deliveries and dealing with the redeliveries & redirections that our couriers bring back.

Long hours, terrible pay but it allows me to be relative social with over 70 people a day. The only downsides are the office in general and times of year such as Christmas where it's simply too busy to work properly without some kind of aggro every day.

Still, it's a job, keeps a roof ove my head & food on the table. When I pass my driving test my options to get out will increase ten-fold, which is what keeps me going currently.

9. BTT

BTT First Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Full-time student, lifeguard during summers.

It's a pretty decent job, all considered. It pays decently well for the little I actually have to do. My job mainly consists of (trying to look like I'm) cleaning the pool, putting some band-aids on some scrapes here and there, dealing with some troublemakers... It's largely just sitting in a (admittedly not that comfortable) chair and enjoying the sun. It can get boring, since I've got shifts of 7+ hours.

The only real problem I have with it besides that is that my boss is a bit of a twit - he fucked up the administration of the place something fierce last year, so we had to call in every day to see if we had work that day. If we have to throw someone out, we were basically on our own, too. Last year he hired security, though, so he might actually be improving.

Honestly, I'd recommend looking into getting the diploma or doing the course or whatever your local equivalent is. It's not immensely tough or complex material, the physical requirements aren't a huge bar to clear considering I got through, and you're pretty much guaranteed to have a back-up job available for you if you need it, in my experience.

10. Invictus

Invictus Banned

I'm a Law Student, currently working as an intern out Brazil's Development Bank. Pay and hours are excellent for an internship, even if the job isn't exactly something I want to follow through later in my life.

11. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I am a Quantitative Marketing Research Consultant/Business Analyst.

It's alright, pretty standard professional services type job.

I am currently teaching myself Python & R because I think I'd rather be a Data Scientist.

12. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I work in an automotive plant. Pay is decent, but the work is boring as hell when things aren't going wrong. Management is hilariously bad, no one who makes descisions seems to have any grasp on reality. Also, working conditions become terrible during the summer - we had two people leave in ambulances on a single shift last summer. Oh, and you will burn the shit out of your arms at some point, we all have the same scars.

The upsides are that it's unionized, our benefits are pretty great, and there's lots of overtime if you want it (also sometimes if you don't - we can be mandated). I also like the work environment, it can be blunt and impolite, but I'm way more comfortable with that than I ever was at front end customer service jobs. I'm good at what I do but not too up my own ass about it, I stay friendly but distant enough to avoid drama, and I'm somehow better liked by my peers than I ever have been before.

I certainly don't plan on doing it forever, the money is decent but not enough to do something I take no intrinsic satisfaction from for the next 40 years. It's a good way to save money though, I worked a pile of 60 hour weeks when I first started and managed save enough to buy a vehicle and pay the year's insurance outright within 3 months. I live cheap and stash a lot of my money away for future plans.

13. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cinema Worker here. I'm not a supervisor or a manger (Yet at least) so I'm just a normal Team Member. What seems to be weird though is that I'm doing things that are supposed to be done by Supervisors/Managers such as Opening Checks, Customer Returns, Stock Counts, etc.

It's a pretty sweet gig. Most people wouldn't imagine it as a career but I could easily picture myself working there for a while. The free movies and other benefits don't hurt either. Not to mention, I absolutely hate any job where you have to sit in a office or at a desk.

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm a freelancer, working in multimedia. I write articles, do copy-edits, translations, etc... in my free time or when I'm not working the desk in an office job. My "official" job right now is as a Reporting Officer for an NGO working in Syria, where I compile reports to be sent to donors regarding our programs. Not the most exciting of things to do but it's meaningful work and I'm happy to be doing it.

15. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

Until 7 months ago I was a full time college student who had worked in a restaurant for a while and had occasional drumming gigs to make some cash. Now I am a part time tutor for high school and college students, part time medical biller (thanks to the hilariously complicated healthcare system in the US, there's lots of administrative/bureaucracy work in any practice) while applying to med school.

If you're a current college student, I recommend working as a tutor. Hours are flexible, not a bad way to relearn stuff, and it's always nice to have some spare cash.

16. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I've got two jobs. I'm a stock auditor for a company where I basically travel throughout the south west of England and check the stock of Aldis and Tescos and whoever else has a contract with us - probably the most boring job in the world. It's also basically a zero-hour contract and if we don't have anywhere that wants a stock count then I don't have any shifts so I also work in a cinema on the weekends to basically make sure I can pay rent. Customer service stuff but at least I get to watch films for free.

17. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

I am a developer at a small consulting company. My focus is in Identity and Access Management (security). I have worked with very large clients, such as major banks, airlines and the federal US government.

I am quite content. I like front end development more so than back-end, but I'm learning tons, the pay is excellent (got a 10k raise last year and on goal to get the same in about a month), and the work culture is fantastic. I rarely work over 40 hours a week, sometimes less. I also get to travel every couple of months to meet with various clients.

18. claypigeon

claypigeon First Year

911 dispatcher and going to college for mechanical engineering

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read upwards of 20% of the public sector tenders published each day in the UK and Ireland, plus some coming out of the EU, to identify what sort of companies would bid on them. Its fascinating to have this level of visibility on how public money is being spent, you see all sorts of things, sometimes before they hit the headlines. And we also see things that don't hit the headlines, but would certainly make good ones!

EDIT: Also worth adding I'm an ISO27001 and ISO9001 internal auditor for the company, which is honestly more interesting and where I can see my career going long term.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

I am a program/project analyst, which means I basically get to tell production people how badly they're doing their jobs from week to week. It's pretty mundane - I'm basically an SQL and Excel warrior behind a desk. The pay to mental effort ratio is pretty good though.