1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Fleur?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by DerHesse, Sep 7, 2010.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

What happened to Fleur?

At the start of GoF Fleur was an arrogant, confident and slightly haughty girl, who knew she was beautiful and talented.
    And that is perfectly reasonable, because, aside from being a champion, she managed to charm a DRAGON to sleep (the part with the burning outfit was just JKR's stupid sense of humor)!
    And considering she had no clue where is what in the lake plus having to fight of a swarm of Grindylows, it doesn't sound so bad in regard to her failure in the second task, does it ?

But in my opinion her greatest personality trait is her pride.
    "We 'ave all be 'oping to be chosen for weeks and weeks! Ze honour for our schools! A thousand Galleons prize money - zis is a chance many would die for!"

So my question is: What happened ?:?:
    How can such a person fall for a guy, who digs in sand for a living ?
    Bill Weasley is nothing more than JK's second attempt at a badass/repel guy.
    (Gary Oldman made Sirius a real badass, remember Léon: The Professional)
    Furthermore, why would such a person, with traits like her(look above), put up with a family like the Weasleys(+Hermione), who constantly mock her.

In Gof she was ambitious and strong, but in HBP she was suddenly reduced to a prettybreeding-machine for redheads.

The only person, who doesn't mock her or gets braindead in her vicinity is Harry.
    And considering, that she already likes him because of that Gabrielle-incident, it would be a great start for a possible relationship.
    (there is even enough drama; Harry would antagonize the whole Weasley-clan(+Hermi) in one stroke:eek:)

ps.
    feel free to use that idea:cool:

2. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Wasn't Bill essentially a treasure hunter for the Goblins? It always sounded pretty badass to me.

And I'm pretty sure you're overestimating how the Weaselys' reaction to her. It's been a while since I've read the books, but I think most of it was just bitchy little comments behind her back, and I definitely remember Mrs Weasley's opinion changing at the end of that book, since Fleur wore some sort of family tiara at the wedding. And not every guy goes braindead because of her, the only people I remember specifically mentioned are Ron and her date for the Yule Ball.

Harry/Fleur is a very cool pairing, but shitty premises like this just bring it down.

3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

You wrote the answer yourself.

:hbp

And maybe she had a monster in her chest too!

4. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Apparently, Bill's werewolf dick was too good to pass up.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

About Bill. Some people like to use him as wizard Indiana Jones, but I tend to agree with opinion I read one time - aside his "cool" look, he probably spends his time reading books and doing research without risking his life.

6. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't see a problem with how Fleur turned out to be.

When I was seventeen, the age Fleur was when she was introduced in GOF, I was a pretty unbearable asshole. Let's not get into details, but if I were to come across that version of myself right now, I would definitely kick my own ass. I sometimes wonder why no one did back then.

And then two years later I had changed. I don't know when I made the change or why; I just did. The same happened with Fleur. She was introduced one way and by the time DH rolled around she was a different person. Entirely plausible, especially for a teenager. Falling in love, as cliché as it may sound, can change a person, for better or worse.

TL;DR: Two years passed and Fleur changed. You may or may not like it, but it's not something to be so surprised about.

7. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

About Bill, I just see him as an archaeologist. He probably spends more time filling in customs and quarantine forms than anything else.

Mabe Bill is Fleur's mate and Fleur's Veela side can't let him go, so Fleur had to marry him or she would die of a broken heart?

Ooh! What an original idea? Why hasn't anybody thought of that before?

But seriously, what makes you think that Fleur couldn't like Bill? He's apparently good-looking, he's nice enough and he doesn't do anything spectacularly stupid in the whole series (that we know of).

I personally think that you are interpreting Fleur very superficially. Fleur didn't marry Bill for his "bad-ass" look, or his family, or because he's the Indiana Jones of the Potter universe, or because of his big werewolf cock, but because he treated her with the respect, love and affection that she wanted.

Obviously, something worked in the relationship for her to want to stay with him.

IMO, it was just another plus on Fleur's side that she stuck with Bill even though he got clawed by Fenrir and his family wasn't particularly welcoming.

Not every girl goes for the obvious choice you know. And the prettiest girl at the ball (literally, in this case) doesn't necessarily go with the best looking jock in the school. You want proof? Go check out the what happened in the stranger trilogy thread. Jono Lancaster's girl is pretty damn sweet if you ask me.

8. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Fleur got laid and mellowed out.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

No. Nonononononono.

Bill Weasley is a beast, and I support almost any/all attempts to make him as Indiana Jones-like as possible. Magic in the HP-verse can create some pretty fucked up situations, so I have no problems at all believing that a career as a Curse-Breaker is every bit as dangerous and active as it is research intensive. I don't care if you wanted a mega-crossover of the Indiana Jones films, the God of War trilogy, Uncharted 1 and 2, Prince of Persia, Dante's Inferno, Disney's Atlantis, Aladdin, and the Mummy movies - all with Bill Weasley as the protagonist: I would write that shit, and I could make every bit of it canon compliant and you would accept it as fact, damn you.

Also in canon, all of the most intellectually-gifted and well-rounded wizards have been amazing academicians as well as talented with a wand. Dumbledore, Voldemort, Grindelwald , McGonagall, Snape, etc.

If you want to align Curse-Breaking with archeaology, then there's literally no need for separation of tasks when you're a wizard. Unlike Indiana Jones, Bill can be researcher and a believable heavy-lifter, because he's got maaaagic. And I can't imagine that Gringotts, run by cheapshit goblins, would be amenable to paying two people - or even teams of people - to do what one capable wizard could do.

Which brings me to my final point: the goblins. While HP verse plays it down to a certain extent, everything about that fucking bank and the creatures that run it is dangerous, period. Those fucking things are just waiting to rebel at the smallest infraction; their cunning and willingness to cheat wizards out of...anything, really...is a running theme. They have a poem outside the front door, stating point blank that screwing with them will get you killed; riding in the cart can get you killed; going into your vault can get you killed; robbing someone else will have an entire nation trying to kill you - including their fleet of dragons that they've controlled so thoroughly, that a lone goblin with a set of cowbells can do what it took half a dozen armed wizards to accomplish.

Griphook, the Goblin version of Stan Shunpike, knowingly risked the total enslavement of the wizarding world because he had a hard-on for a thousand year old sword - a goblin-crafted sword which, by the way, can absorb whatever the fuck substance it touches and then use it against who- or whatever to great effect. Wizards can't make that kinda stuff, but goblins can - and they can use wands.

Yet despite all of that, the highly capable and fiercely proud species of psychofucks decided that there's shit out there in the world that they don't want to deal with, and choose to employ wizards to take it on instead. And Bill, knowing just how insane it is to work for a race of creatures so unrepentantly dangerous (and very, very intolerant of wizardkind), joined up with Gringotts anyway. SO WILLIAM MOTHERFUCKING WEASLEY IS A BOSS, AND I WON'T HEAR A WORD ABOUT HIM BEING SOME LONG-HAIR HERMIONE/PERCY HYBRID EARRING-WEARING WANNABE FAGGOT D8

/ran- wait:

AND JONO'S CHICK IS SUPER CUTE.

/rant

On-topic

This, basically.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This here made my day. I demand this of you, Blaise. Do it.

11. The Santi

The Santi Professor

I'm going to make sure Bill gets bitched around --and maybe even killed-- at some point in my story now, simply to piss you off.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

12. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Bill is one of those characters I've never really bothered to think about, but this post has probably ruined the chances of me writing him in any other fashion than this. It's simply too awesome.

I'd give this post all my Thumbs Up for the day if I could, and hope you write at least one of the many crossovers you listed.

On topic:

Pretty much what IdSayWhyNot said. Although a bit younger, I was pretty much a complete douchenozzle at fourteen. Yet, by the time I turned seventeen I was basically an entirely different person - a better person, I hope. Fleur obviously went through something similar.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  13. IdSayWhyNot

Wise men are wise, and Bill Weasley is now unquestionably awesome.

Deal with it.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

ROFL. Let the record show that, out of more than a thousand posts of bullshit in The Santi's thread that try to influence the outcome of his fic, I managed to do so in a completely unrelated thread.

Bazinga. :awesome

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I sort of agree with Blaise: curse breaking would be a dangerous job, especially with all the nasty curses ancient cultures (such as the Egyptians) would leave behind, so that means that a curse breaker would have to be confident in quickly reacting to and counter-acting unknown and dangerous curses. That, or they'd have their insides/penises liquified when they tried to use an ancient 'exclusive-for-Pharaoh-only' piss pot, or something.

On Fleur's character: I think enough has been said in this thread by other people, tbh. It does make me wonder, though, that if Harry did have a 'bad-ass' sort of look to him instead of the scrawny, under fed runt he was through-out the entire series (or at least by fourth year), would Fleur of considered him as a romantic interest as the tournament went on (thus changing her perception from that of a 'leetle boy'), and when Harry proved himself to her? (Second and third tasks, especially).

16. Phantom of the Library

I think if Harry had a fucking brain (or balls, for that matter) he could have gotten a date from Fleur. There's no need to look bad ass. Hell, he demolishes everyone in the second task only to say, "Well shit, I'm such a nice guy I'll try to save everyone. Here's your baby sister, who you care for a great deal. No biggie."

He'd set himself up for at least a thank you date, where he could then have tried to make something come of it.

How do you fuck that up?!

/rant off.

Just something that's always bugged me.

17. IdSayWhyNot

canon!Harry/Fleur was never an option.

By GOF canon Harry was still wondering why he had a seemingly dead piece of flesh hanging between his legs, while jealously noted girls seemed to have cushioning devices on their chests and asses, and apparently no dead flesh to worry about.

Imagine his surprise the first time he got an erection?

"Holy shit, Ron! It's friggin' alive!"

"Yeah! I mean...wait, what?"

18. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Yeah, I thought that Bill was a badass even before the Blaise post. For Weasley males, non-suckage comes in groups of two. Bill and Charlie, who didn't suck, then Percy who did suck. Then Fred and George, who didn't suck, and finally Ron, who was relatively sucky (and I like Ron - he just didn't live up to his better bros).

Can't forget Gideon and Fabian Prewett, even though they weren't technically Weasleys. They obviously must have worked in the Order as assassins, and had as much of a reputation as the Carrows, only with far more sinister intelligence. Half the good guys breathed a sigh of relief when they were taken down - trufax. :awesome

19. Phantom of the Library

Been a while since I've read it, but isn't it hinted that Harry wanted Cho's cock had a crush on Cho since book three? Or was that just him being too chivalrous during their Quidditch match?

Anyway, regardless, he was definitely interested by GoF, since he tried to ask her to the Yule Ball. And I'm pretty sure that if you didn't get an awkward erection over the opposite sex by the time you're fourteen then you're a woman.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

He was swooning over Cho.

Then again, if Harry did have a brain cell to spare, the series' storyline would of been allot different overall.

Has there ever been a story in the fandom that follows the jist of the books, but has a Harry with more common sense than a fucking door stop, by the way? (Basically, think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect from the Philosopher's Stone onwards, and how a minor change can affect things greatly in the long-run).