1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What if George RR Martin had written Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aegon, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Aegon

Aegon Banned

I think we would have three main story arcs

Hogwarts - We would have several point of views, from students and teachers, about the game of domination and politics in Hogwarts, the battle between the houses, their repercussions on the magical world.

The Ministry - We would know much more about what’s going on and the game of powers

The Order of the Phoenix - While the school and the ministry primarily focus on politics, the Order would try and fight Voldemort. There would be a lot more about propaganda, the ministry saying that Voldemort does not exist, and the long campaign and struggle of the Order to have new members and to convince people and to remain hidden.

Several other characters would have a point of view like Hermione, Ron, Snape, Sirius, Tonks, Draco, Neville, Ginny, Percy, Bill, etc.

Dumbledore would have probaby died in the first book, Snape is probably like Littlefinger would probably be one of the most dangerous villains in the series and actually consipired to get Dumbledore killed. Harry might actually have nailed Luna and Ron would actually betray Harry and stabbed him in Goblet of Fire, etc.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The books wouldn't be called Harry Potter and possibly he'd be dead by the end of Book 3.

3. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

The Opening Feast in Philosopher’s Stone would’ve been sixty pages and it would’ve gone indepth on how the magic dishes worked and how incredible they looked/tasted.

There’d be more writing on how the Ministry worked and the politics involved.

I agree with @ScottPress that Harry would die and not be the chosen one.

Also no way the books are finished.

4. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

There'd be a lot more 13-year-olds getting laid.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We'd still be on book 5.

And book 5 only just got to Charlie coming to Hogwarts to collect Norbert.

6. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I think part of the sucess of Harry Potter is due to it's somewhat whimsical writing style. I doubt we'd be talking about it given George's frankly dry as the desert prose.

7. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A Stone of Alchemy
    A Sword for Monsters
    A Hunter of Rats
    A Game of Champions
    A Prophecy for Murderers
    A Reverie of Memory
    A Master of Death
    Seriously, though, HP would be anathema to Martin. He doesn't like magic as a plot device.

8. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    GRRM knows how to plot, but his books make better TV (at least when the show was following the books). That said, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in grimdark HP. Kinda like oil and water, besides that fact that HP aged up with the demographic.

9. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

There would be more foreshadowing to important elements that are introduced in later books, especially things like the importance of wand ownership or the Deathly Hallows would be hinted at in earlier books.

10. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Honestly, the very idea of GRRM writing a completely po-faced 'child politicians' story, and referring to childish petty bullying as 'the game of domination' is pretty funny.

Also, having just three storylines seems very optimistic. In all likelihood, it would start with one (Harry and co), branch out to some political manoeuvrings (Ministry), then explode. With Harry and his friends leaving Hogwarts to go on journeys of self-discovery, the Order fighting until he can return, Neville still continuing at Hogwarts, Malfoy navigating Death Eater stuff, and, randomly, some seemingly almost completely unrelated stuff from the Dursleys which would be planned to suddenly rise to prominence when Muggle declare war on Wizards in the finale... only we'll never actually get there. We'd just get lots of hints.

Then it would be turned into movies, and the Muggle angle will be wrapped up in ten minutes by Shacklebolt Imperiusing the Prime Minister.

11. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    The main character would have been killed and then brought back to life. Oh, wait...

Female characters would have been raped several times.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd absolutely read a GRRM style HP rewrite. The multiple points of view, seeing lots of parts of the world...I think it'd be a fantastic way to explore loads of world building.

But I don't think HP would have been a success if written in the GRRM's style originally.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean I think we were going to get something similiar to this with Taure's Lords of Magic...but he abandoned it for a gender bender fic :p

14. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

It may seem cheap but here's an 8 year old reply (and boy do I need coffee):

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Chamber scene with Tom, Ginny, and the Basilisk would have been significantly darker.

The whole series would have, sure, but that particular portion stands out to me.

16. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I think it would have been great to read! Mind i'm a GRRM fan. I think George is a very talented author. Of course it would be a very different series (I mean that would be the case if anyone else wrote it). Thats neither bad nor good, just different.

I don't think it would have been a kids book essentially. I think on the positive side you'd have seen snappier/better dialogue, much more shades of gray, a much more complicated society and complicated characters (no good or bad house).

On the down side I suspect youd lose some of the air of mystery and wonder the books have. And it would probably have been clearly targeted at a different audience. Less "wizard coming of age story where young kids picture themselves as the wizard" and more "Complex novel breaking genre stereotypes exploring the gray world of magic and racism in a magical setting" or some such

17. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

It would be something like Prince of The Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama. That story has the scope, politics and darker themes I would expect from a GRRM version, bonus points for being a story would never be finished.

18. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

You'd lose the charm and humor of the series entirely, and the feeling that it's a world you'd want to live in. Oh, and so much more incest. You wouldn't even need fanfiction to see the Weasleys and Patils go at it regularly.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In general, it would probably end up looking like a decently written indy!Harry fic, with a much more fleshed out world, for better or worse. Maybe set closer to the Victorian period than the present(ish) day?

More specifically...Book 1 would have been the length of Goblet of Fire, and by the time you got to the OotP equivilent, you'd be looking at books about three times the size of the actual ones. Hermione would 100% have been killed by the troll. Quidditch either wouldn't happen at all or it would have more realistic injuries. At least one of the Triwizard champions would have been killed during the tournament, or at the very least horrifically maimed.

20. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

If I take this seriously and skip over obvious jokes about incest and gratuitous death... I'm operating on the premise that this scenario is less "GRRM makes a story about wizards in our world" and more "If Harry Potter's story had GRRM come in later and rewrite it to be the same story but with his style instead."

I'm assuming some of the core parts of Harry Potter are preserved in this scenario:
    - The Wizarding World is hidden and has been for hundreds of years without meaningfully interacting with the Muggle one.
    - It exists in little pockets here and there in our world, instead of in an alternate dimension.
    - Harry grows up ignorant of his fame or heritage.
    - He goes to Hogwarts, where the bulk of the plot is set at.
    - The story as a whole revolves around him as a main character and he is guaranteed to survive until at least the last book.
    - The individual plots of each book are the same.
    - The series starts out comparatively light-hearted and gradually gets darker and grimmer over time.
    - Muggles barely make their presence known.

I think Harry would definitely die and stay dead in Deathly Hallows. His sacrifice would allow for Voldemort to be defeated, and so on. But while he will survive until the end, he'd be physically and emotionally wounded over and over again over the course of the series:
    - He would have been more explicitly abused by the Dursleys (not to being maimed levels. Hidden bruises, not broken bones or stitches).
    - He'd remember killing Quirrel with his bare hands.
    - He'd successfully stop teenage Voldemort but fail to save Ginny.
    - He'd save Hermione and Sirius but Lupin would run into Hagrid when he ran away and end up killing him or getting killed.
    - He'd get another scar in the graveyard, something major like a loss of a finger.
    - Hermione would get permanently maimed by that fire spell.
    - Hermione may get raped in the Malfoy manor.
    - So on and so forth.

I think the prophecy thing would still be around, because that sort of vague self-fulfilling type seems up GRRM's alley. It definitely wouldn't be the power of love that saved Harry, but I'm not sure what would have been the cause of his protection. If Dumbledore is going to be way less of a sympathetic character (maybe not evil, but with more Greater Good shades than in canon), then maybe he set things up via a sort of blood ritual so that Voldemort would be killed when he tried to take out Harry.

The earlier PoVs would be other students mostly, to expand the world beyond just the narrow scope that Harry sees through. Gradually these kids would get killed off (like by the basilisk) and some of the adults and teachers take focus. This would keep the lighter-hearted feel of the earlier books, as we see what sort of things are going on behind the scenes of the Wizarding World and how it isn't quite so bright and shiny after all. The Death Eater/pureblood faction was weakened by Voldemort's fall, but they've been regaining their strength over the last decade and they are able to push their agendas through the Ministry. When Voldemort returns, we see a lot more detail about his recruiting efforts and how the Order is working to prevent that.

And...yeah. Something like that. A lot more deaths would occur, people would be permanently maimed here and there, and Harry would end up doing a quasi-double suicide with Voldemort to close out the books.