1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What wand did Voldemort use on Harry in the forest?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Okay, so this randomly come up in IRC and none of us can seem to work out what happened. Voldemort 'killed' Harry in the forest, yet later on inside Hogwarts, his wand fails because Harry is it's true master.

So why did it work against Harry in the forest?

I can't remember if it ever states that Voldemort uses a different wand for the act or what, but from what I can remember, it is the same wand - the Elder Wand.

It could be possible that this is one massive plothole.

2. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

And I really don't think blood or pieces of Voldemort have anything to do with it. Both of them went to King's Cross, both Voldemort's accidental Horcrux and Harry could have perished if Harry had decided to move on.

It's clear this is a gaping vagina-esque plot hole.

3. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Page 655: "All this long night, when I am on the brink of victory, I have sat here," said Voldemort, his voice barely louder than a whisper, "wondering, wondering, why the Elder Wand refuses to be what it ought to be, refuses to perform as legend says it must perform for its rightful owner..and I think I have the answer."

He then offs Snape.

Page 702:

"Voldemort's expression did not change. The red eyes seemed to burn in the firelight. Slowly, he drew the Elder Wand between his long fingers."

Page 704:

"Voldemort raised his wand."

However, at this point, he has the Elder wand in his hand as two pages earlier showed.

It shouldn't of worked, therefore a plot hole.

4. Catman

Catman DA Member

I always assumed that the reason Harry was in King's Cross was not because he magically had the power to choose between his own soul or Voldemort's being killed, but because Voldemort wasn't the master of the Elder Wand when he used it, and so the Killing Curse wouldn't obey Voldemort, but Harry.

In the Great Hall, same situation, Harry came in with the intention of killing Voldemort, so the wand does it, but in the forest, he came with the intention of dieing, so....

Jeeze as I'm typing this out, I realize what a giant plot hole it is, unable to explain it. Oh well :(

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The only thing I can think of is that because Harry wanted it to happen, the wand obeyed. Since he doesn't truly die, ownership doesn't change. Then in the Great Hall, he acts against Voldemort and his intent is to fight. The wand obeys again.

Hm.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perhaps because Voldemort killed the Horcrux and not Harry, the Elder Wand worked?

I don't have a clue, but that's the theory my friend puts out.

7. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

It's weak, but I'd suggest that Harry accepted the first strike- he believed that submitting to death would enable his opponent to die, so he wasn't resisting the effect. Depending on how sentient you see the wand, it may have been 'complying' with his intent.

Having submitted but not stayed dead, Harry retains mastery of the Elder wand through their next confrontation, where he intends to win and his opponent to die. He wouldn't commit a murder but his intent was for Voldemort to lose, and he was flinging around the AK as usual.

There may be something about his never having tried to kill anything and still being a virgin that made Fate or whatever take pity on him, fudging the results in his favor.

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I wondered about this a while ago and this was the only thing I could come up with that made any sense at all. Of course, this then points to perhaps wands having some form of sentience, but that's a whole different thread of speculation.

9. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Only thing is, did Voldemort's horcrux die before or after King's cross? After all, there is something of Voldemort's there. So if it didn't die until after King's Cross, then Harry would of been dead and Voldemort would of took over Harry's body.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This is what makes the most sense in my mind, even though the whole 'wand mastery' is a shitty plot device anyway. Voldemort could kill himself with the wand, but not Harry the true owner, and that is why the AK killed the horcrux first.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    My hypothesis:

"The wand chooses the wizard." Harry wasn't armed at the time he was struck and the Deathstick didn't regard Voldemort's atack on its master as warranting a shift in allegiance. (Anthromorphizing wands in this fashion provides a way around the Dueling Club plot hole as well). Besides, Voldemort was struck down as well at the time, so there was no clear victor in the exchange.

We already know that defeat in magical combat isn't necessary for a wand shift its allegiance--Gellert Grindelwald merely stole it from Gregorovich, after all. I'd guess that Harry could sense somehow that he was still master of the Elder Wand when he faced Voldemort in the Great Hall. The reasoning he gave at the time for why he was still its master may have been specious, but that doesn't change that he knew he was its master and could use that in his battle against Voldemort.

12. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Jesus. Deathly Hallows sucked.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This isn't a plot hole at all. It's fucking magic, you can say whatever the fuck you want and no one can refute it. The answer can be anything from:

1) The Elder Wand targeted the Horcrux in Harry and not Harry.

2) The only reason Harry didn't die was because the Elder Wand was his and would not work properly for Voldemort.

3) Arturia was brainwashed by Christopher Nolan.

4) The Elder Wand does not like the Killing Curse.

5) Dumbledore, while still Master of the Elder Wand, made it so that the Killing Curse never worked perfectly with it.

6) It is impossible to kill yourself using the Killing Curse, and since Voldemort had Harry's blood flowing through his veins, it would not work properly.

7) The protection that Lily gave Harry when she died, the same magic that flows in Voldemort's veins, would not allow Voldemort to directly kill Harry.

I mean, fuck. All of you who are crying, "PLOT HOLE!" are trying too hard and are little bitches (read: Zennith).

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

No, my king!

15. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Deathly Hallows did suck balls though.

16. Trojan Knight

Trojan Knight Third Year

Not sure about that Sree, he killed Snape using the same wand with the damn Killing curse.

There was a massive difference between the two occasions; At the forest he had just learned he's a horcrux and deduced that he had to die if Voldemort can ever be killed. He had accepted his death then and was even talking to ghosts using Resurrection stone.

Accepting his death he had finally defeated the 'fear of death' which so many men failed(Voldemort included). I guess that's the exact point where he became the Master of Death. The King's Cross scene had something to do with this. It gave him one last opportunity to either move on or go back to the fight. It gave him a choice of deceiving his death or accepting it for having mastered the Death.

In Great Hall Harry no longer had to sacrifice, he had already screwed up Voldemort's royal ass. He speculated a theory and was fairly sure that he was right(Note:This is the one of the very few scenes in DH where Harry did something on his own without Ron or Hermione's help). He knew he had some sort of say over the Death stick and tried his luck.

And it all boils down to luck. Let's face it guys there's no fucking way Harry could defeat Voldemort in an ultra super epic duel.

I blame JKR for this fuckery.

EDIT: shinysavage just clarified Snape was killed by Nagini. Totally forgot that part:(

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, he sets Nagini on him - he specifically doesn't use the Wand because he's realised that he's not the true master of it, so he knows, or at least suspects, that it won't work against Snape...although it probably would have done, in fact. Which could have royally fucked Dumbledore's plan, in fact. If Snape had died instantly, Harry would never have found out he was a horcrux. Although I suppose they'd have met in battle eventually, and the end result would have been the same.

As for whether it's a plot hole...I've always thought along Rehio's lines - the Killing Curse took down the Horcrux, but there was a backlash against Harry since it was inside his body. Throw in the fact that he's the Master of the Wand, and he doesn't die. When they get to the final 'duel', the Wand just doesn't work; it's allegiance hasn't been won, and there's no Horcrux to take down.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And yet I didn't clarify WHY it is that Deathly Halllows sucked - and I'm sure that's been talked about to death. It sucks because we can have this long and fruitless discussion regarding whether or not this is a massive plot whole and it isn't even close to being the biggest problem with the book!

19. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

The whole wand issue is a clusterfuck in DH. I never understood why Harry's holly wand was able to preempt Harry's defeat on that bike with Hagrid. The Elder wand passing to Draco? I don't think so. I'm quite certain that Dumbledore could have resisted being disarmed by Draco. I always assumed that he willingly submitted to that situation.

I think the only thing that makes sense is that Harry submitted himself to death and purposefully didn't arm himself in the forest. It wasn't a duel and so the Elder wand obeyed the wishes of its true master.

20. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Because this isn't a thread dedicated to how much the book sucked, I thought it was pretty good in my opinion. This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of what some perceive as a massive plot hole. Or did you somehow miss the point of the thread in your attempt at adding to it--read: not at all.

Personally I believe there was ambiguity about Harry's dying then, so the wand was confused. So it just cast the spell and hoped for the best.