1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Women Want

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Averis, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A Mel Gibson Harry Potter crossover? Helen Hunt raises Harry and...

Nah nah, hold your horses...

Here's the idea that popped into my head; tell me if you think it would be worth a read -

Harry, during his Occlumency training with Snape, has an averse reaction when he enters Severus' mind. He is now Legilimency-capable, but because he's never been trained in either art, he can't stop himself from viewing other people's thoughts.

As you can guess, he's omgzor freaked out at first; but after glancing at Hermione and noticing where her thought processes are headed (Down boy!) he thinks he can use this to his advantage. You can guess where the story proceeds from there... possibly the Hufflepuff dormitory boning Susan. Cexxy time!

But yeah, who thinks it can be done? Of course in a humorous way - if anyone wants to see it I could probably scrape something together - if anyone wants to write it, I'd love to read it.

2. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Not my favorite kind of movie, but it wasn't too bad.

This could probably work for a shorter fic. Anything longer and you would loose interest.

Great idea. Will read it if someone writes it.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could be funny, though would he be listening in on lad's thoughts as well, and would occlumency still block it out?

I'll read it if someone writes it, so get out and do it!

Aekiel

4. AndyJ

AndyJ Squib

sounds... Interesting...

5. Averis

High Score:
    Andy, thanks for the complex feedback.

Reading back over what I wrote, Harry being raised by Helen Hunt would be interesting wouldn't it? Anyways-

It would be kind of stretch to put the mind-reading talent on just the ladies, because how could I have a logical explanation to keep him out of the male mind? I think it would be k3wL if he could just read everyone's mind (obviously not Snape and Dumbledore). He would probably be grossed out by some of the things going through the Male mind, and turned on by the female mind. Like for example, he meets Colin Creevey in the hall and gets a mental picture of himself in a naked photo shoot... or Ginny Weasley has him tied up in her room at the Burrow... or even McGonagall dreams about being younger and gettin' a piece. Shiver.

I don't think the story would mean much outside of Hogwarts - Voldemort just wouldn't have a good place in the story, other than dialogue between students. Just a funny little couple of chapter story.

I'll keep accumulating ideas and then try to get this on some paper. Do help if you can. Like, what are some nasty thoughts you would put in people's heads- Luna, Professor Trelawny, Hagrid even.

6. AndyJ

AndyJ Squib

I think your right, outside of Hogwarts it would be overwhelming for him, also, you would have the complexity of introducing too many OC's.

Leaving it around Hogwarts would mean that you could keep to a lot of the canon females, and tie in the "episodes" to certain areas.

for example, Quidditch match against Ravenclaw, almost (or for once, actually DOES) misses the snitch because he heard Cho's thoughts of her, harry, and a broom handle in the changing rooms.
    Potions accident, or near miss due to Hermione broadcasting thoughts about a lubricating potion, and the way less travelled.

It would depend on whether you wanted to take it down an NC17 orgyfest of a humour story, or take it the other way and have harry use the information he hears/sees to become the perceived ultimate boyfriend material.

or even have Harry able to manipulate others thoughts, and amuse himself by getting the girls aroused during classes to the degree that THEY are having difficulty in concentrating.

is that better than sounds... Interesting

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    I imagine the Great Hall would be a bit of a problem for him, with all those people gathered in one place - it would be like Matt (from Heroes) when he hears all the peoples' thoughts in the bar, maybe occlumency would be like the Haitian's mind blocking power... Sorry, Heroes is my new obsession :p.

You'd have to limit it a bit, maybe only one or two people at a time or else he'd go insane from all the people thinking at the same time; Hogwarts is a crowded place.

Aekiel

8. Averis

High Score:
    Nah, I was thinkin' he'd have to be in real close proximity with them, or staring them in the eyes. Like he's sitting at a worktable with Padma in Transfiguration, and she glances at him and wishes he would lay her down on the table and... well, you get the point.

He could possible have conflicting thoughts, like if he was in the Great Hall and around all of the Gryffindor girls at once, especially since they would be projected their thoughts with extra force... but for the most part, in classes he would be safe. He could even attempt to eat in the kitchens, only to hear the elves thoughts. Now, that I think of it, that would be a hilarious scene. After that he could have his meals brought to him away from crowds.

AndyJ, you make some real good points - and I really like scene with Cho, haha. I think if I wrote it the story would be a cross between NC17 and just a humor story, meaning it would probably be Mature, but not overly graphic in nature. And attempting to do things the 'women want' to make them aroused is what it's all about.

I'm feeling like this could be a winner. Spring break is coming, so I should have time to write soon... Feedback is still welcome, though.

9. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

If you make it a dream type sequence, that could cover way he can't read the male mind. Also it takes care of going outside of Hogwarts. Make Harry have some type of adverse reaction to the lesson he was in or something like that. At the end of the story you could have him wake up and go WTF was that.

Maybe someone else can do something better with my ideas.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Be a decent way for a harem-ish story. Or just PlayBoy!Harry.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

At least Harry could finally find out whether or not it's safe for him to use the showers at the same time as the Creevey brothers.

You can never be too sure.

Just wait until the Ministry tries to nail him for using Legilimency on everyone he gets near.

12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This is far from an original idea. I'm not sure I've ever bothered to read one but I've seen it as a plot point in several summaries. A quick search on fanfiction.net yielded these people miraculously gaining the ability of hearing thoughts (and attempted to turn it into a Humor/Romance story):

Snape: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2815683/1/
    James: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3448000/1/
    Harry: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2472498/1/
    Draco: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2143704/1/
    Hermione: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/716914/1/

And you don't even want to know how many slash fics use something like this so that Harry finds out what Draco or Snape really thinks.

13. Averis

High Score:
    In retrospect, it's not the most original idea...

But if done correctly it would blow all of those out of the water. The only one I actually paid attention to was the one noted "Harry" and he heard everyone's thoughts randomly, as long as they were in his proximity. My story would use Legilimency, where he has to be staring the person in the eyes to read their thoughts...

Oh well. With one million other fanfics out there, I guess I can't always be original.

14. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I'd personally think that this line right here would be a good reason for women only Legilimency. He sees something he really REALLY wishes he hadn't and subconsciously blocks out all male thoughts in the fear of seeing it again.

15. Averis

High Score:
    Like he sees Snape porking another Death Eater in the ass and immediately he cuts the horrible scene out of his mind, thus closing off Legilimency against any male?

That would be funny - especially if he was described as feeling the pleasure and lust that Snape felt during the memory. That would also be a good reason to discontinue Occlumency training, right?

I'm seriously considering giving it a go...

16. Aekiel

High Score:
    Nah, make it much more gruesome than that... Maybe a orgy on the scale of the office (only a fantasy) in Snape's head, skull fucking & all.

Aekiel

17. Averis

High Score:
    Wow, that's a bit more graphic than I think I'd be capable of writing. Maybe some of you NC-17 cats can band together and produce one worthy though. I'm demented, but skull-fucking just isn't my forte.