1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do if you got tomorrow's news each day?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Andrela, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Let's say that for some reason you (and only you) have access to a website which shows news from across the world, but one day into the future?

We will be assuming that if someone else tries to access or view this website they don't see anything except a blank page.

How would you use such a daily dose of future knowledge?

Would you attempt to prevent crimes, accidents, acts of terrorism? Or would you try to get filthy rich? Or maybe both?

Let's discuss. I'll post my own response shortly.

2. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would make vast amounts of money. And do good, I guess.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    TWT, I agree with the first part wholeheartedly. Xandrel, that should be obvious. Why would you not exploit that for all it's worth?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  4. BTT

BTT Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Check out the source code to see how that shit works and if I can somehow replicate it with my meagre skills.

Other than that, basically the same as any other 'X mysterious thing happens to you': verify that shit, attempt to figure out how it works, if I can replicate it, attempt to make insane amounts of money even if I'm not sure at the moment how, and maybe do some good.

5. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Make lots of money, do no good. Can you imagine what dark forgotten cell you would have ended up in if you had tried to warn US intelligence of 9/11? It probably would have happened anyway, only after it happened, suddenly it looks like you have close connections to high level terrorists.

6. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Although you'd be subject to some "enhanced" visitations from the security services if you flagged up any anthropogenic crises. I doubt anyone could pin anything on you if you claimed to have developed a brilliant early warning system for oceanic earthquakes. Or you could just short Japanese energy companies...

7. Andrela

No good at all? What about car accidents and the like in the areas nearby you?

Surely they wouldn't get too much attention on you?

8. Blinker

The scariest day would be the one where you log in and there is no news, time to start scanning for asteroids.

9. Odran

Odran Prisoner

If they don't really affect you or your family and friends, why would you give a damn?

Trying to save everyone would be just a hassle and you'd get tired of it pretty quickly.

Do well by yourself and those you care about, that's really all that makes sense.

10. Andrela

Because that would be the right thing to do.

If I knew something bad would happen to innocent people and I was able to prevent it, then I would feel compelled to help.

11. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So why aren't you giving away every spare dollar to poor starving Africans?

12. Odran

Odran Prisoner

That's an incredibly silly perspective on things.

Going by that logic you should be doing something right now to help the less fortunate people in your country or your city or wherever in the world that needs other people's help, and yet you're not doing it.

13. Blinker

Is this a rolling news service? By which I mean constantly updating with news from 24 hours ahead? Or is it a bulletin each morning for 24 hours ahead just at that point? If it's rolling then the system is ripe for exploiting. Once you have a reputation for an oracle of earthquakes/floods etc, your pronouncements are themselves news. This means that your prediction of an earthquake 48 hours from the present is made by you in the future 24 hours from now, and reported immediately, thus seen by you in the present. This, unless I'm much mistaken, stacks. Woohoo, goodbye arbitrary 24 hour limit!

14. Andrela

And you know that, how?

I am not able to help on a significant scale, I can barely afford to pay the rent.

If I was richer, I would definitely help more.

---------- Post automerged at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Constantly updating, like many news websites.

15. Blinker

I don't know about Xandrel, but some people do pretty much this. I've had some friends who donated around 1/3 to 1/2 their salaries to charities (Giving What We Can and the like). I've read of people who go well beyond this. It's a pretty damn demanding standard but far from unheard of.

16. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a difference between doing humanitarian work and sending an email warning of a suicide bombing.

17. Odran

Odran Prisoner

Wasn't talking about monetary contributions. You could go and do volunteer work.

We can go about this ad nauseam, but really, what's the point? Our views on the world simply differ.

18. Andrela

Oh, without a doubt. However, I respect your opinion.

19. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Do our actions change the news? Presumeably even if we try to help then it will still happen. In any case, I think I wouldn't jse it, like I wouldn't most super-powers. I'm not interested in being a hero (especially not full-time) and money is a necceseity of life for me. If I somehow wonn the lottery without even trying then I would donate it anyway. I'm pretty happy without knowledge of the future, is what I'm saying.

20. Blinker

We don't know from the setup whether it will still happen. Stuff which you can affect might change, might not (whether through deliberate action or butterfly effect). Stuff which is set in motion and outside your sphere of influence (e.g. Earthquakes) presumably happen as predicted. If what you meant is that we'd be stymied and that whatever we did we'd be unable to stop events unfolding as reported then I don't think that's necessarily true in the scenario, and even if it was there is wiggle room in affairs implied by the news but not specifically reported. In the same sense as Harry could not change the fact that he heard Macnair swing an axe, but had the ability (from his point of view) to make it hit a pumpkin not buckbeak.