1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PoshMafia, Sep 24, 2018.

?

What would you do?

1. Love again?

55.6%
  2. Search again?

44.4%
  1. PoshMafia

PoshMafia First Year

Alright, so morbid shit going on in my life and I had a little thought experiment that I would love people to take seriously.

Premise - You are in a relationship with a person, and you fall hard for them. Unfortunately just as things are starting to really gain momentum, your partner becomes I'll. It happens slowly but your partner is eventually diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour and there is no way to operate. Eventually, they pass away and as a young adult you are never the same, and never find another person who you truly love.

Question - if you could go back in time, would you enter into the same relationship despite the pain of watching the person you truly love waste away before your eyes as you are powerless to do anything, or do you avoid it and look for love elsewhere never hooking up the with the person?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

1) you can't change the past it is immutable.
    2) you can only learn from it and make a better future for yourself
    3)you did not make a wrong decision by falling in love with a sick person, and you're a better person for having shared that time with someone you love so
    A) why would you want to erase that
    B) do you feel regret because you couldn't fix it?​
    Realistically you're gonna feel some guilt about not being able to fix what affected your loved one. You're going to go through the five stages and not everyone can. Make of that what you will. Ultimately this decision isn't something you can crowdsource, everyone's grief is different.

If this is real, I'm sorry for your loss.

3. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

I'm assuming this tumor will get them even if you make it so they catch it early? If so, honestly, I wouldn't get with them again. I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it, knowing how it ends and all. If the first time breaks me so much that I never find love again, the second time would break me even further.

4. Miner

Miner Order Member

If you could go back in time and retain all of the memories of this person that you had, then absolutely do it again. If you've loved and lost, having the ability to suddenly spend more time with him/her is more valuable than anything else in this world, materialistically or spiritually.

I'd give anything to spend more time with my grandmother again. I have a friend who would give anything to spend time with her boyfriend again. This isn't something that should be viewed in a negative light. It's a beautiful, wonderful gift.

And if you're going back with no memories at all, well, if you're the same person, what's to stop you from falling for him/her again?

I'm sorry for your loss if this is true. I'm sorry, too, if it's not, since you seem to be having a rough time at the moment and I hope things get better.

5. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

This part is the problem. Yes, you will never love someone like that again, but that doesn't mean no one will love you or that you can't love anyone else. Your loved ones wish well for you, and they want you to be happy. Grieve. Then open your heart to new possibilities.

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Death is irrelevant to my belief on this. I always find repeated relationships from time travel to be incredibly gross on their own. There's always that element of grooming, even if you're talking about adults instead of adolescents. Trying to turn a person from who they are into the person you knew them to become.