1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Whatever Happened to the Likely Lad? by nonjon - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Whatever Happened to the Likely Lad?
    Author: nonjon
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Summary: COMPLETE. One-Shot. Hermione Granger has to locate Harry Potter or she'll lose her job. She's more than a little curious what he's been up to the last few years. Perhaps, she'd be better off figuring out where he's going rather than where he's been.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7395979/1/

It's a nonchristmas miracle!

2. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Meh, not really my cup of tea.

3/5

3. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

This is just not a good story. A sort of god!wizard!Harry used as a mouthpiece about to trash talk the backwards wizarding world, ridiculous Dumbledore bashing, spaceships and aliens and atlantean bullshit. It seems like its a less humorous spinoff/alternate/preechy story of the Where in the World? trilogy.

A format consisting mainly of 'Harry's dialogue explains something -> Hermione reaction shot -> Harry keeps on talking after a quip about her reaction' is pretty boring.

This wouldn't be a good story from anyone, expect for the good spelling/grammar which would get it points. Afraid to say that with a well known name like nonjon, expectations are raised, and were ultimately not met.

2 or 2.5 out of 5

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he might have been poking fun at the recent trends...

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Technically well-written, but the plot...eh; pretty much what CB said.

That, and a lot of this felt like a massive info-dump.

3/5.

6. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is just not my thing. I used to love all the super!Harry tropes back in the day, but I was cringing throughout this fic. It's like every cliché from the bad old days have come back to haunt me.

3/5

7. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like it's an intentional homage to Alan Moore's classic farewell to the Silver Age Superman "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and Neil Gaiman's more recent Batman story "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader". Sadly, this lacks the epic feel of either one. It's ... meh, for me. A shame, really.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Let's just hope that he was dusting of his writing skills with this story and that his next story will be along the lines of his classics.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    nonjon deserves mention for Dobby the Space Pirate and publishing his story on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

The story seemed in spirit to be a throwback to early nonjon, as in Freedom of Apathy/Apathy of Freedom, though without all the anger. Though it's not my favorite of the stories he's written, I'm not complaining if it means he's writing again, if infrequently.

10. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Not to mention a Hermione-centric story on her birthday.

11. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

The Haiku alone made this fic worth the time spent reading it.

12. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Ceebee basically sums up my feelings on the matter. Just not a great story.

And to the guy who thinks this story was poking fun, I don't think so. This story is the same basic idea as one of his earliest stories, just more condensed and better written.

Maybe if this actually was a space travel fic or a fic about Hermione's search for atlantean artifacts (or even Harry's search) it would be more interesting, but as it stands the whole fic feels like it's just super powered Harry bitching about the wizarding world to Hermione.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree with CB. I enjoyed reading it, and it WAS well written. But it almost felt like prequel/prologue/epilogue. If this was the start to the adventures of Cpt H. Potter onboard the USS Lily (Damnit Harry, Dobby be being a house-elf, not being a psychiatrist), I would be completely enthralled. If it was the end of a story, but put at the beginning because that's just how you roll, I'd be intrigued.

3/5, as I enjoyed reading it, and it was better than most of the stuff out there, but was not nearly the standard I'd expect (though still better than anything I'm currently capable of).

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Part of me suspected that it was a decent Stargate crossover at first.

You know, one that actually blends the two universes' mythos together seamlessly? (Though I suppose the new crop of unexplainable shit/facts from Pottermore would kill that, now).

You know, I would totally read a Star-Trek style Harry Potter fic'.

---

Hermione groaned. "No, Ron - the Moon isn't made of cheese. And no, you can't eat it even if it was."

---

"Hermione, why are you poking Ron's...uh, lump?"

Hermione shrugged. "Why not? If it just happens to burst while I'm here, I can take samples!" She grinned maniacally. "You never know, Harry! This could be the cure for... something!"

"So, a pulsating orange boil on Ron's arse could be the cure to Dragonpox?"

She shrugged. "I was thinking of magical eating disorders, actually."

Harry could only blink. "Huh."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

It was pretty average. 3/5

16. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I get the humor, as well as the homages it attempts to pay, and rather enjoy it.

If it was from any other author, I'd give it a 5/5 in a heartbeat, and maybe I still should..

But seeing nonjon's name attached to it makes me want something 'more', even if that's not entirely fair. Our perception of the work is likely clouded by what the author can do at his best, rather than judging the story on its own merits.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not for me. If it was any other author, I would've stopped reading it 30% through. As it happens, I thought it got worse. I found the characterization flat and cliched, the twists meaningless and nonsensical, and the story arc painful to read. There was nothing actually original in this story, and I am sad to see that nonjon is basically pandering with this one. Now, I'll easily admit nonjon has never written Harry well, but it's often fun to read "his" version of Harry (like in Browncoats or Black Comedy). This time though - his Harry just annoyed the crap out of me. I didn't like him. Thus: I didn't like the story. I also didn't appreciate the Dumbledore and Ginny bashing, which which was just boring and unoriginal. (Meaning it wasn't even something NEW about their characters to attack. Ginny was a whiny girl who for some reason Harry hates, and Dumbledore is obsessed with "The Greater Good". I'm a bit sick of hearing that phrase)

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I stopped reading even though it was nonjon anyway. It's too dry, a plain progression of events without much to hold interest.

I mean, look at the first scene.

"Hermione was not a happy witch."

Exposit on some reasons why she wasn't a happy witch, then end the scene with,

"No, Hermione was most certainly not a happy witch."

Come on.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is a lot of "tell" here. It's disguised as dialogue to make it seem more like "show", but it's tell nonetheless. If doesn't feel like we're reading a story, it feels like we're hearing about a story second-hand.

3/5 for technical proficiency. But the story didn't hold my interest at all.

Bummer :(

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It feels like I'm reading a fic that was written years ago, with all the negative connotations that come along with it. Hopefully if nonjon keeps writing he'll get back into shape, but if he just stays at this level of quality I'm afraid I won't be keeping up with his works.

3/5