1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Favorite HP Fanfiction Tropes?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by MysteriousVibes, Feb 21, 2021.

1. MysteriousVibes

MysteriousVibes Squib

I'm just curious. I have seen (not on here, but frequently on other websites) forums that feature people's least favorite tropes.

Mine is Dark Harry Potter. Yes, I know that within these Harry is, essentially, an original character by everything other than name and appearance. However, I love anti heroes with a passion. All of my favorite media feature anti heroes - Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Vampire Diaries, and more I can't think of on the top of my head. By Dark Harry, I just mean a morally gray Harry who uses dark magics for either his own benefit or a select few.

So, what's your favorite Harry Potter fanfiction trope? And why?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's good that you clarify what you mean by Dark!Harry because there's a gamut that runs along from outright Evil!Harry (Downward Spiral Saga anyone?) all the way through anti-heroes (your favorite) and Grey!Harry and into some version of Indy!Harry where he occasionally uses a naughty spell and gets labeled dark.

My favorite trope of this nature is probably the trio fic, which I consider to be a subset of gen-fic. If there's a romance or pairing it takes second place to the dominant relationship of friendship between the trio, who act as a team. This style of fic is a lot more common in Naruto fics for obvious reasons, but there's a few in HP as well. Forging the Sword is an old favorite.

I'm also fond of mentor/protege fics. I personally differentiate these from master/apprentice fics or from a parental-figure, though there's significant overlap between the three.

/inb4 Daphne fanboys.

Edit: Also, @MysteriousVibes I'm a bit confused. At the start of your post you mention LEAST favorite tropes, but then talk about your favorite one and ask for favorites? As for least favorites... years ago we had a reputation for despising Ginny. Now we tend to have zero patience for bashing.

3. MysteriousVibes

MysteriousVibes Squib

Sorry about the confusion - I didn't specify. I just meant that I had seen tons of threads featuring least favorite tropes, but little to do with favorite tropes. I am sure they are out there somewhere, but I haven't seen them. Reading over it, I can see why you're confused. I wrote that right after a very long meeting so I wasn't thinking clearly.

I have begun the Downward Spiral Saga, but I didn't get very far into book one. It's just, well I know Harry is only 11, but I hate how easily he's manipulated. It makes me feel like his choices are not his own because I assume it goes like this: he was young and impressionable, the wrong people ingrained biased beliefs in him (not that Dumbledore isn't biased against Slytherin, but he doesn't directly harm them) and he eventually, as a result of manipulation, becomes evil. And he's not sane in the slightest. Again, these are just assumptions, but that assumption of the plot is a real turn-off for me.

As for the trio fics, I haven't read many like that. I am sure I have at some point, but I can't think of them at the top of my head. However, for the mentor/apprentice fics, I really like Severitus. I just like Severus Snape. I am not saying he's a good person, but I do think he's a good character. Probably because of the anti-hero thing, and in my opinion, he fits the bill.

4. Ched

Yeah, I don't recommend Downward Spiral for you. It is a bit much for me, but I can admire how well it does certain things.

I do recommend Forging the Sword - but I recommend that to everyone as it's one of my rare 'highly recommended' stories.

Here are some of DLP's more recent thoughts on Snape. Don't bump that thread unless you have something unique/interesting to add to the conversation but it's food for thought.

If you like Severus as a character a Severus-centric fic I can easily recommend is The Apprentice. Snape goes back in time. There is no Harry in this at all.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The Downward Spiral is a great saga to read when you're feeling unreasonably happy at life and in general and you decide that you just can't have that.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't say there are any tropes I unconditionally like. If they're executed badly, I'll still walk away. But there are some tropes that are much more likely to get me to check out a fic.

1. Talented Harry. Ranging from "talented like his parents" to "talented like Voldemort". This is more or less a necessary prerequisite for me to read a fic.

2. Fem!Harry. Really hit and miss. I'm not interested in tomboy fem!Harry or fics where fem!Harry is just the same as Harry only with longer hair. If you're turning Harry into a girl, there should be something about the story/character which couldn't have been done with male Harry.

3. Wizengamot politics. This one is almost always a disappointment, because 99.9% of these "political" fics are just Harry inheriting a ton of political power and then throwing it around without any challenge.

4. Gen fic. Usually a good sign that the story will attempt to have some semblance of a plot.

5. M-rated fic with any of the following pairings: Harry/Fleur, Harry/Susan, Harry/Parvati, Harry/Daphne, Harry/Pansy, Harry/Romilda, Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Luna, Harry/Astoria, or Harry/Gabrielle.

6. If there is an indication that the story does not include expendable magic/magical exhaustion, that will increase my interest.

7. If there is an indication that the story recognises the supremacy of magic over technology, that will increase my interest.

7. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

For a while, I've read only the fics that start in Harry's 4th year or above, but more recently I found fics closer to canon much more to my likings.

I don't know what trope to put it under, but I like reading about young Harry being a child with other kids, exploring magic, and having a sort of mystery to work with (like in canon). You know those cute little fics that make you smile a little without even realizing it? Well, that's my favorite trope.

I suppose most of those are canon rehash, but if the author tweaks it just enough, and is a decent writer, they can work wonders by changing only a few little things and butterfly it into a decent, but still new intrigue all while keeping Harry in character. I don't care who Harry's crowd is as long as they act their age.

8. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

I'm a big fan of outright Evil!Harry. Something about him being warped by Dark Magic is appealing to me.

9. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

I've read very few fanfics about Harry's generation, but the ones I have read have been time-travels of varying quality as well as a few one-shots. So I suppose time-travel would be a trope I'm somewhat fond of, although I haven't read any I was completely happy with. I want the characters and the world to be as close to canon as possible, and most tropes I've come across don't interest me.

I've tried reading post-Hogwarts fics and ones about Harry's kids but I suppose the characters don't interest me enough. Marauders era I do read and write, write more than read nowadays. With those stories again it's the characterization that draws me in more than any trope, but i suppose some fanon characterizations do become tropes after a while, so in that sense I'll avoid anything that makes any character romcom clueless and whiny to the point where they only care about their love interest, or dumbs them down or levels them up in intelligence or magical ability from what's in the books. I like a bit of violence and sex in fics, but there's some scenes I feel I've read variations of dozens of times, so less good guys vs bad guys on the cobblestones of Hogsmeade and awkward fumbling in broom cupboards scenes would be great, I'm sure that must be tropes across all HP fics. I'll also avoid anything that adds a lot of new werewolf lore to HP.

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ok, you got me. I'm VERY guilty. If the main character is getting a wand, I actually love when it's teh spechul unique wand of destiny. I don't give a crap whether it makes sense that the core is dementor's cloak or mountain dew. It's just fun.

11. Ched

You're weird.

12. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I like timetravel/ timeloop fics regardless of fandom. When done right, nothing beats this class of story. Immersion is a top priority of mine and these stories tend to offer that. Conversely, it is because of the same reason I generally despise stories with a focus on the muggle world; they tend to tear down the wizarding world and make a muggle clone.

I look out for fics with immortal wizards, though there seem to be no good completed/updating stories of this type.

I also keep an eye out for fics with multiple factions duking it out.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm more likely to read fics without romance than with them. I don't care about it at all.

I'm into adventure/mystery and time travel.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm still an absolute sucker for a talented, powerful, political Harry. And for anything that does a lot of world building, even where its completely unnecessary for the the rest of the fic - for example, I love a good shopping trip to Diagon Alley, so long as it isn't bland and generic, but actually tries to give some flavour to the world.

15. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

1. Harry is betrayed by everyone, Ron and Hermione burn his photo album in front of him, he is sentenced to Azkaban, etc
    2. Harry finds a Dark Arts teacher (diary, portrait of slytherin, etc) and trains under the nose of Dumbledore
    3. Poor orphan Harry is disparaged at Hogwarts, but he is actually the most powerful and talented student and everyone claps at the end
    4. Marriage Law fics
    5. Animagus forms
    6. Manipulative villainous Dumbledore

16. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

I've always been a sucker for Harry suddenly gets memories/magical skills fics. It's just fun to read about Harry increasing his ability exponentially and surprising everyone with his newfound skill.

17. MysteriousVibes

MysteriousVibes Squib

I love all of these - well, most. I haven't read many marriage law fics. For the second one, I really want to recommend one. It's one of, in my opinion, the best fanfictions in the fandom. It's a little dark, but I think you would like that.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10937871/1/Blindness

If you do end up reading this, please tell me what you think. The author is a genius. I know this wasn't originally a rec, but this fanfic is worth it. To me, at least.

18. MysteriousVibes

MysteriousVibes Squib

I like these as long as the magical abilities/memories come slowly. Development is important to me - if he's powerful from the get-go, that's one thing. I am personally fine with that. But if he is weak one day and then gifted with tons of abilities, I am not the biggest fan.

19. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I swear I already dislike both of you, unless you are joking of course.

20. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are a lot of people out there that only read Marauder's era fics, almost always featuring Sirius/Remus or Snape/James. It's huge on Tumblr and AO3. I suspect there's next generation fics like that too.