1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel of Time TV Show

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ShotgunWilly, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

I just saw something interesting. I presume that, this being DLP, some people around here probably care at least a smidgen about WoT, so here goes. :p

Looks like there will be a pilot episode for a Wheel of Time TV show on FXX at 1:30am EST (12:30c) tonight. The the title is "Winter Dragon." Description follows:

(see attached for screenshot)

Funny how there's no official announcement otherwise.

Jason Denzel from Dragonmount.com (currently offline) said this on facebook:

So while I'm not expecting pure greatness, here's hoping they didn't just shit something out last-minute....

But while I have hope, I imagine that they're right and this won't be any different than the FF movie where they just wanted to do something to renew the rights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So this was bad.

3. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

Was it as horrible as I feared? I didn't get a chance to watch it.

Disappointing though. With as much effort as REE has seemed to want to put into it I'd hoped for more

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The acting was pretty wooden, the SFX were like a bad 90's show, the OP and EP were disappointing(outside of the narrator reading the Breaking quotes and the Wheel of Time turns and ages etc. bit.)

The pronunciations were incorrect and 90% of the dialogue was Lewis(sic) Therin yelling Ilyena in a variety of ways, followed by Ishamael yelling Dragon over and over.

Also, Dragonmount was apparently birthed by Lews Therin getting freaky with an edgelord knife on top of a staircase. All red and black and spiky, I'm sure I would have thought it was badass when I was twelve.

EDIT: It looked kind of like this. Lews Therin walking offscreen with this was the end of the episode because apparently he kills himself by cutting.

[​IMG]

All in all, a thoroughly disappointing production and yet exactly what I expected.

5. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

Yea, I figured it wouldn't be good if they didn't bother to advertise it. Still... *sigh*

I had hoped it would be at least *close* to the original even if the acting might be bad... Sounds like they barely tried.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I don't think they care about acting or special effects or letting people know they made it. They just wanted to keep the rights. I don't know why, though.

Unlike Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time would be incredibly hard to make a tv show out of. How would you show all the mental aspects of channeling? How would they convey the different feelings men and women got when accessing the One Power? How would they show a man channeling in front of a woman who can't see his weaves, or vice versa? How to differentiate between different weaves?

Wheel of Time is also well past its prime (probably by more than a decade now), how much interest would there really be? It's really long, too, which means they'll have to cut some stuff out and risk alienating the fanbase. Just look at the monstrosity that was GoF.

Universal Pictures bought film rights to Wheel of Time way back in 2008. Nothing has been done about it since. I doubt anything will. It's an amazing series and all, but it never generated the amount of flurry around ASOIAF or HP. And their screen adaptations came at a time when interest was highest in their books. Wheel of Time is awesome, but I don't think it has the impact or long lasting appeal of something like Lord of the Rings.

7. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

From Harriet:

Something fishy is going on...

8. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Somebody's about to kneel to Lady McDougal or be knelt.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find it incredibly hard to believe something was made and more impressively AIRED without that chick's knowledge.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why? It's not her job to investigate these things constantly. Can't stop what you don't know about.

11. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

Rumor has it that they put this to get really really fast too. They only got done filming just last Wednesday, aired it wee hours of Monday morning too. The director had a 'crazy timeline'

Unfortunately, said director had a fatal car accident the very next day. >.<

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The drama surrounding this pilot seems more interesting than the pilot itself.

A car accident, eh?

13. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

yup

https://www.facebook.com/WheelOfTime/posts/10152818252783089

text:

14. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

My bullshit detector is pinging. Something's really wonky about this whole story.

That being said, as much as I'd love to see a well-produced Wheel of Time show, it just isn't happening. I agree with Narf - WoT is probably the most unfilmable series out there. The scope is simply too large - even if you drastically simplified the plot, you'd have at least 25 important leads, and if you moved past Book 3, the threads unravel enough (main characters with their own plotlines) that you'd have 5 separate things going on at once.

You know how in GoT you have Dany doing her thing on a separate continent, and only very recently (in the books) are the plotlines starting to converge? Imagine that, but over the course of 10 epic-length novels. Between, say, Fires of Heaven and basically the end of the series, you have anywhere between 4 and 10 major threads happening at the same time, each of them involving a handful of the main characters. It just wouldn't work.

Whoever you cast as Lanfear to look alluring and sexy in Book 2 would be about 50 years old by the time she goes full nutso at the end of Book 5.

15. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

Probably... *sigh* makes me sad though. lol.

Supposedly an Eye of the World movie seriously was in the works at Universal, not sure if anything ever happened there though...

Also, to think, A Song of Ice and Fire was apparently originally planned as a only being trilogy too.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think a proper Wheel of Time adaptation would need to do more than just trim the content down -- it'd have to almost rewrite it entirely. To be honest I wouldn't consider that a bad thing, but it'd be a big undertaking.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I agree that a live-action WoT adaptation would be impossible to do competently, but I could get hype about an anime/cartoon thing. And I don't really like anime.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

They have the rights, they haven't done anything with the rights yet, as far as I know.

19. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

Apparently Sanderson was writing a screenplay for the studio at one point - I think the interview was back in 2011... But yea.

So yea, I admit, it probably isn't go anywhere, *especially* with the film rights also expiring this upcoming Wednesday. buuut... *shrug*

All I know is that very very sparse listings at least exist on imdb and film releases

20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I could see it going the same path as the Marvel movies. Start off with a few key PoV characters, and if things take off add more as needed.