1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete When Darkness Falls by Dauphin - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: When Darkness Falls
    Author: Dauphin
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    Rating: T
    Words: 79024
    Published: August 8, 2002
    Updated: May 23, 2005
    Pairings: Harry/Cho
    Suggested category: Azkaban Fics
    Summary: Sentenced without trial to life imprisonment in Azkaban for the brutal murders of one hundred and thirtyseven people at the siege of Hogwarts, Harry Potter appears the scourge of the wizarding world. But is the truth really as simple as it seems? PreOOTP,
    Link: "When Darkness Falls" hosted at fanfiction.net
    Link: http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/stories/viewstory.php?sid=101

A warning ahead: The story is not easy to read. Especially the first half is even more confusing than razz's Tergum Rursus: Different and often changing POV's, spiked with flashbacks to explain the events of the war with Voldemort and the last battle. Huge parts of the story are based on the emotions and thoughts of various people dealing with the result of the war and their feelings for or mostly against Harry, their hate, suspicion and doubt. It is quite angsty until the end – for instance Harry is highly affected by the dementors.

For those who intend to read the story: Bear in mind it's a story started long before OotP was published. Pierre and Amanita Lestrange are in fact Rololphs and Bellatrix – only their surname had been mentioned in GOF; Trelawney's Prophecy hadn't been mentioned yet; etc.

The story:
    Several years after Hogwarts: During the last battle – a siege of Hogwarts – a lot of 'good guys' died. Harry is blamed for their murder, despite that he killed Voldemort, and is sentenced to a lifelong sentence in Azkaban.

The story starts two years later with a (complex) description of the situation of the protagonists. Sirius is alive, Hermione Headmisstress of New Hogwarts, Snape still teaches potions, Ron leads a group of wizards who want Harry to be kissed (by dementors, of course, not by Ginny, who is dead anyway).

Meanwhile the remaining Death Eaters seem to reassemble again and new dangers or even a new Dark Lord loom in the background, waiting for their chance. And again there is the question: Is Voldemort dead at all?

It is Harry-centric but other characters dominate large parts of the story, too, when it is told in their POV, especially Ron, Hermione, Arthur Weasley.

I think most parts are great, as is (especially) the end, but I know that a lot of people here will find it's highly confusing. The clouds start to clear around the middle of the story, but then there are some original elements added, which I think are far fetched, like the background explanation of the connection between Voldemort and the Potters.

Altogether I say 4.5/5. There are better fics, but only very few.

Checked by Minion, Dec. 15, 2012
    Dead link is dead, but the story is available elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I'm pretty sure this already here... I'll find out and edit.

Nevermind, just another story by Dauphin on here with a really overused sorta name, so many darkness (insert dark word) story titles I get them mixed up.

Story wise, well it's pretty good but I've only read the first couple of chapters.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I have this marked as 'started', but it obviously failed to keep my attention, since I never finished it.

I don't think I'd be interested in reading it now since post-GOF stories are simply WAY too outdated, considering current HP canon. No prophecy, Sirius being alive and with a major role, no silent casting (HBP), no curses in fight scenes (OOTP), no Tonks or any other Order members, no Occlumency etc... Too many things are missing for this to be considered HP fanfiction any more.

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

It was published in '05, so why didn't the author use OotP canon? Seems a bit ridiculous, and with that canon available, leaving out such interesting components as occlumency and the Prophecy seems like a bad choice. I'll edit this once I've read the fic.

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Published, '02 finished '05.

6. Lightning89

Lightning89 First Year

I don't think this story is outdated or too old. Yes, there is no Order or Occlumency but it has more than a few nice ideas... but the best thing is the feeling of a good old fanfic and the interaction between the people.

I love this fanfic and the change in the feelings by the persons. Not many Azakaban-fics have done it this well and believable. And the end is fitting. No Happy End, no endless hate, more the accepting of the past...

To put it simple: I love this fic.

4.5/5

7. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

Wow, I really liked this, especially the ending. Very impressed with the author's decision there.

I agree I did get a bit confused, but not as much as you seemed to imply I would. It would help if the author had put breaks in when switching between POVs but half the time there aren't any. That's the main problem

Quite a good story there. 4/5

8. Dark Minion

Yeah, thats right. It unduly complicates the fic.

Another thing I like is the absence of several usual Azkaban-cliches, such as superpower!Harry, burning of his photo album, the revenge, etc.

9. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It started in 2002 remember? For all we know, the author started these cliche's.

10. Dark Minion

No, he/she didn't.

1. There had been other Azkaban-stories beforehand.
    2. This story doesn't contain much of those cliches. That's the point.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Yes, but im sure the starting Azkaban stories didn't involve cliches for the first azkaban stories needed to create the cliche.

As I was saying, for all we know, this story created 'those' cliches

12. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

Maybe this story did, to many wanabe writers writing stories full of overused bullshit that others love to jump all over and they have seemed to clog the good ones up and bury them so far away they wont ever be seen again......

13. i think it was a great story, it was confusing at first but i got over it. I also think it is one of the better AzkabanHarry storys.

14. karlii

karlii Guest

I just accessed this yesterday at fanfiction.net, and today, it has been yanked!!!:mad:

Is this fic anywhere else???? I was looking fwd to reading it again...

thanks!!

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Hmm. Looks like Dauphin may have taken down all of his/her fics.

But I know you can find this fic in its entirety in the DLP Recommended Archive if you're willing to download 72MB. Thread about the archive is here.

Author's page if anyone wants to ask Dauphin why the fics were removed: http://www.fanfiction.net/~dauphin

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Story moved here until a re-posted version by the author is found.

17. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper