1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot When Worlds Collide by Armless Penguin - R - HP/BZ

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Zevrillion, May 20, 2005.

1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Title: When Worlds Collide
    Author: Armless Penguin
    Category: Romance
    Rating: R
    Ship: HP/BZ
    Words: 9,409
    Published: May 22, 2004

Summary: Following a detention with Snape, a single choice lands Harry Potter and Blaise Zabini in a world of trouble. HarryGirl!Blaise. One - Shot
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1874005/1/

A very good Harry Potter/Blaise Zabini story.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked by Sorrows 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

nice story a bit suprised tho but overall it's a very good story

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

pretty good... i liked it.. but *shurgs* i like some pretty weird things... read a book called "what ewomen want men to know" by some lady.. pretty much an instruction manual for women... that, friends, is a brilliant idea!

4. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, seems improbable of ever happening, but I still liked it.
    Haven't seen too many Harry/Fem!Blaise, and this one seemed to go along..smoothly.

Although points off since the first spell to come to Harry's mind was stupefy.....insulting the mother of your child.....AK that asshole.
    4/5

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I hate pregnancy in stories where harry is still a teenager and doesn't mean to impregnate.
    >_< 4/5 anyway.

6. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Dear god, why do you necro a post nearly two years old?

7. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Now, I think you are an idiot, sir. They bumped in a library and added content. No one cared except you, who wanted to add nothing to a topic.

I read this a while ago and thought it was pretty good. Reading it again is good as well, but seems to lack something as time goes on.

4/5 in the beginning, 3/5 second time around.

3.5/5 total.

8. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i like it and it definitely has the advantage of its ship. 4/5

9. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    For some reason, I like this ship more then most. Perhaps its the rarity of it coupled with the good quality... or something to that affect.

4/5, only holding on the 5/5 for lack of HBP continuity at the end.

10. natamox

natamox Guest

i liked it alot 4/5 :)

11. treacle.well

treacle.well Guest

Considering this story was written over a year before HBP was published, I think we can cut it some slack...;)

12. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Considering the lack of good Harry with !Femblaise stories, this is a rare find and gem from that ship. What's even more amazing is that it stood the test of time, and was well-written with a good amount length. I would of loved to see more though, that much is certain. 4/5.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This one is pretty good. I'd give the first half of it 5/5, because that is how you bring Harry and a Slytherin together. Bitch!Blaise FTW.

The second half, however, I'd give 3/5, because:
    it feels contrived. Harry rescues the maiden in distress from Malfoy, it turns out she's a muggleborn in Slytherin, and in the end they profess their true luurrvve for one another.

Still, it's worth a read on the whole. 4/5

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Basically what DLM said here.

First half was 5/5, amazingly well written. Second half was meh. Preg + lurve as stated above.

15. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I like how he refused to call her beautiful, but made her sound hot. It is rare to find a author that does that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  16. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Really? I thought it was most common nowadays.

Also, from the story:

Ahem.

There were way too many phrases meant to replace the characters' names, such as "the darker-haired male". Those are much more awkward than the repetition of the names would ever be. The passages about Sirius were heavy on the pathos, and lacked the originality that would've made them bearable. I felt as though I was reading a list of commonplaces. Thank God they were short.

Bitchy Blaise is nothing to squee about. "Bitchy love interest" is just going one tiny step further than the dreadful "feisty love interest." Ginny, anyone?... It doesn't help that she gets semi-redeemed by her status as a Muggle-born. "Slytherin, but Muggle-born."

The circumstances of their encounter in the broom closet are unoriginal. After we find out Blaise got pregnant, we have to wade through one cliché after another. The last two scenes were so honeyed I got diabetes by just looking at them.

Below average. 2/5 for decent writing.

17. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

At second asking, I have gone back and reread this fic with a new mindset. I'm not a huge reader of romance fics, so I have not been affected by the whole cliches that are now evident in this story.

I still think this story is well-written, and the length is good for a one shot. However, the cliches are now pretty obviously once shown.

Revised rating: 3 strong/5. Not sure on whether it being Library worthy. I enjoyed it though, and it was a good time killer.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  18. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree with Tinn.

I've read stories that were worse than the first half, true, but the second half more than made up for it with how awful it was.

One round of casual sex and they've conceived - gee, I bet that's a snub for all those couples who track periods and try for months to have kids, eh?

Harry to the rescue! Because shock, Blaise isn't a pureblood - after all, they're irredeemable and teh evilz!

Superficial, at best, characterization; the fact that it's a one-shot with nothing else, like say a possible conquering of Voldemort, to redeem it makes this FAR from library worthy.

2/5 for decent writing, as Tinn said - I'm going to go get some insulin so that I don't go into diabetic shock now.

19. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

When Worlds Collide is typical of the Library's early inductions, which is to say that it isn't very good at all.

The presentation of Fem!Blaise as a proto-Daphne character is of some interest, but little else (add half a point for a clumsy attempt at making Astronomy relevant and another half for Ron not being a total jerk). The author obviously did not have the life experience to inform the content—and this is a good thing, at least for the world, as the story hinges on a romanticized ideal of teen pregnancy. Pointless tangents, semicolon abuse, and casual sexism abound.

Banish it to the shadow realm.

1/5

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016