1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Which characters do you dislike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexx, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

I can't stand Remus Lupin. He never once tried to contact Harry during his years at the Dursley's even though Harry was his best friends son. But the most infuriating thing is he abandons Tonks when she is pregnant. Seriously the guy is so pathetic.

Which characters do you dislike?

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Original Characters and Mary Sues mostly. Oh and Snape. Fuck Snape.

(By that I mean, Don't Fuck Snape, cuz no one's going to touch him with a ten foot pole).

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

There's a perfectly good reason for him not to check in on Harry. Ditching Tonks when pregnant is a complete dick move, though.

Malfoy is probably my most hated character. Snape's as much of a douchebag, but Snape at least amuses me. Malfoy, though, is such a snivelling shit, such a failure in so many ways.

The fact that he has such a huge part of the fandom fawning over him only makes it worse. It's the same kind of retarded shit that's made Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey huge hits and I really need to stop ranting now.

TLDR: Malfoy sucks.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

To the first point... I have to admit, if my best friend from High School got murdered and his kid was placed with his wife's sister, I probably wouldn't make checking up on the kid my first priority either. Especially if I was assured by someone I trusted that the kid was in good hands. I'd like to think I'd do better than Lupin, since if I never heard a word about the kid I'd eventually attempt to make contact with the Aunt, but I can understand this mentality.

On the second point I agree. He got scared and tried to abandon his pregnant wife. Harry had the right of it there, I think.

Snape is irritating, but I don't hate the character. If he was a real person I probably would, but as a character I find him interesting enough I guess, compared to most.

Malfoy I actively dislike. But then he was written to be a stuck little shit of a kid, and that's what he is. As a reader though there's just nothing for me to get behind regarding him.

In fanfic I mostly tend to dislike what authors try to do with all the Slytherin girls (Daphne, Tracey, take your pick). Just doesn't tend to work for me, whatever they're trying to do. They're blank slates with canon names, and it's rare to run across a fanfic author who can make that work.

5. Alexx

Lupin was one of James best friends, why could he not sent a simple note to Harry for almost 12 years? It just shows he is a wholly self-absorbed man. There really is no excuse for him.

6. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Cho Chang, hands down, is probably one of my least favorite characters. She's realistic to some degree, sure, if barely developed beyond - "plays quidditch, is pretty, and is devastated by the loss of her boyfriend". That said, I wanted to beat my head against the wall every time she showed up in OotP. I didn't care about her, her relationship with Harry, or her overall character arc.

To be fair, my dislike of her is primarily driven by my dislike of reading teenage romance in general, however she holds a special place in my heart for being particularly annoying.

Also, I hate most fan interpretations of Fred and George if they're anything more than bit characters, for obvious reasons.

On the topic of Remus Lupin... His reaction to Tonks' pregnancy, though shitty, was understandable, considering his werewolf status. Lupin is a good person at his core - he just needed Harry to reel him in a bit, set him back on the right track.

7. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Not even going to bother with the borderline-trolling about Lupin. I completely agree with Zeelthor on Draco, and the same goes to Lucius as well.

After them on my list there's Snape, for acting like a retarded 8 year old despite his seeming intellect, and Umbridge for being disastrously stupid. A broad power gap apart there's Hermione for being annoyingly self-righteous, rigid and fun-hating, and Cho for her lame manipulations, excessive femininity and shitty choice of friends.

8. Alexx

Malfoy is not actually useless. He learnt Occlumency, fixed a magical artificat and managed to find a way to let Death Eaters in Hogwarts. Also he can do unforgivables. He has the samelevel of compotency has Harry.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Umbridge. Seriously one of the reasons I can't stand book 5, despite it being a very good book.

Rita Skeeter after her, I just can't stand reading about her, and every year 4 fic I write I just ignore her completely.

10. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I can't bring myself to really hate any of the canon characters but I'll have to say Petunia Dursley is probably the worst character in the series. Her levels of pettiness actually surpass that of Snape's. Every other character is given some redeeming features but Petunia was just an immature and jealous cunt.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm self-absorbed too, so maybe that has something to do with me not having any beef with Lupin besides that episode in DH when he walked out on Tonks.

If Malfoy were a real person, he'd be one of those people who are the living equivalents of fingernails scraping a blackboard: he's just irritating on every level, you wanna punch him in the face.

12. Alexx

The Dursleys what kind of people treat a kid that is their own family like that? Seriously Harry should have tortured them and killed them.

Dumbledore the guy is just too manipulative doing things for other people's good when he has no right to. His treatment of Harry throughout the series irritated me.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are two types of dislike.

1. Dislike in a "I am Harry Potter, these are the people I dislike" way. These are obvious.

2. Dislike as a reader/writer. These are less obvious.

So, for example, I dislike Umbridge immensely in the former sense, i.e. if she were a real person an I met her, I would dislike her. But in the latter sense, I love her. She's the best villain in the HP series. You never hate Voldemort anywhere near as much as you hate Umbridge. She invokes powerful emotion, and that makes her a great character. It's just a pity we didn't get greater catharsis with her fate.

So, who do I dislike in the latter sense (which is the meaningful of the two, I think, as the former should just be a list of Harry's enemies)?

I dislike Snape, because I don't think he has anywhere near the level of complexity or depth people think he has. He's actually very one-dimensional.

I dislike Fred and George Weasley, because they're basically entirely interchangeable and thus lack individual identities.

I dislike Luna because there's no satisfactory characterisation of her that doesn't seem trite; the only way to keep her character is to never go in-depth into it.

I dislike Bellatrix, because she's too insane to be interesting.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I wonder if we'd hate Umbridge if she was hot.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You mean, Bellatrix-like hot, with deranged mind and saggy Azkaban tits?

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Besides Umbridge, I grew to dislike Hermione over the years. Then again, her overexposure in fanfiction as a omniscient mary sue probably helped with that.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I forgot about that description. Rofl where was it from again?

18. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

19. Stan

Stan Order Member

I don't really mind either Draco or Snape. They're unpleasant characters, sure, but they're meant to be unpleasant, so they aren't bad characters in the least. At least, I think they're meant to be unpleasant, I'm not entirely sure how JKR views Snape.

Umbridge is remarkable for the sheer hate she inspires. I'm pretty sure almost everyone who read OOTP wanted her to die a painful death on the first read.

Other characters :

I don't like James Potter. I find these "popular" bullies far more unlikable than bullies who everyone knows are unpleasant. Plus, for a supposedly sympathetic character, it is strange that the only time we get to see him in canon is as a schoolyard bully. We're told that that he became a better person later in, but we're only told, not shown.

The "Marauders" in general annoy me to no end. I disliked them the only time we see them as a group in canon, and fanon portrayal is even worse.They remind me of the Emma-Sophia-Madison trio of Worm in many respects.

I generally don't mind Hermione, but I do find her annoying when she has a fixation on a single topic and just doesn't let go. Like the SPEW business. Or the Potions book thing. It's a relatablity issue, I suppose. If I had got my hands on the Potions book, I would done the same thing as Harry did, and if my friend got all high and mighty and didn't shut the fuck about it despite me offering to share, then I'd be very annoyed.

As for poorly done characters, I think Lily Potter really needed more depth to her character based on her importance in the series. Her "love" is the deus-ex-machina invoked all the time in the series, and she somehow converted Severus Snape's allegiance even when she hated him, and Snape is the strongest wizard we see in canon besides Voldemort and Dumbledore. I think all this, along with the importance that comes up with being the Protagonist's mother would merit a more in-depth characterization. Instead, everyone in canon raves about how talented and good she was, and we know very little about Lily the Person.

A similar argument can be made for Peter Pettigrew based on his plot importance. JKR actually said his character would be more fleshed out in DH in a post HBP interview, but she couldn't fit it in, I suppose.

20. Alexx

We don't actually know if James was a bully. All we see is him humiliating Snape. Who's to say Snape hadn't done something to deserve it? I highly doubt Snape was bullied if anything I see a war between him and James.