1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Who Dares Wins by OlegGunnarsson - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Advice Needed, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Title: Who Dares Wins
    Author: OlegGunnarsson
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternatives
    Pairings: Harry P./Susan B.
    Summary: Harry Potter has been training himself and his friends for months, in preparation for this day. Today, his war begins when Voldemort plans a trap for him at the Department of Mysteries - only it's Harry who has the upper hand, until a trio of faces from his past make a very unwelcome return. Grey!Harry, Military!Harry. A subversion of DZ2's Prodigal Son Challenge.
    Link:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13182638/1/Who-Dares-Wins

The first 'Military Harry' combined with the standard WBWL formula story I've read. Harry grows up in Privet Drive and befriends a retired military official before Hogwarts that teaches him the Art of War basically. There's mild Dumbledore and general Potter family but I think it's realistic for what the story is going for. Technical writing is good, minor inappropriate capitalizations but nothing too serious. There are a few tropes (Lords, Heirs and Heiresses, Manors, Blood Feuds, Regents, etc) but nothing super overwhelming. Good friendships with Ron, Hermione, Neville, Sirius, and Susan Bones. Also includes different third-person POVs of Slytherin characters which is a refreshing change of pace.

3.5/5, rounding up to 4.

2. LinguaManiac

LinguaManiac Seventh Year

High Score:
    This is... really bad.

There is nothing blaringly wrong with the story's grammar or spelling. That is the best that can be said for it.

There are three failures which are so consistent and overwhelming as to make the story unreadable. They are 1) an avalanche of exposition, 2) a shifting perspective, and 3) wooden dialogue.

1)
    2 and 3) To spare you any more pain, I will give a quotation which combines what I mean by both 2 and 3.

And it keeps getting worse. I couldn't read much past there, though I'm not halfway through the chapter.

Maybe it gets better, maybe I'm missing out on a gem, maybe it becomes an Epic for All Time... But I doubt it.

2/5

3. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Blood feuds, Lordships AND The Art of War. This sounds awful.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Then don't read it.

5. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

That sounds like an excellent idea, thank you!

6. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

Muggle military/government wank? Check
    Muggle weapons? Check
    Basilisk AKA blatant muggle armor ripoff? Check
    Houses and weird and laughable rituals which are even formalized in wizarding government? Check
    Hand to hand combat, helpful goblins? Check
    Convenient oaths? Check
    The writing is passable but the plot is a combination of unoriginal concepts into something that requires one to suspend their disbelief to read through the story. Even the dialogue isn't original with liberal use of the word "pup" that one cannot find in canon and only in fanon. Honestly, the most impressive part about the story is that it didn't descend into Ron bashing as well.

As such, 2/5.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Telling someone not to read a fic put up for review?

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Seemed like the obvious answer when I commented back in January? They didn't like the summary, so don't read it. There are others that may like it and read it.