1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why should Hogwarts relocate to Canada?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spanks, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Okay, this is really stupid, but my little cousin got a homework assignment from his English teacher. He is having them write a small 2-3 paragraph persuasive essay on why Hogwarts should relocate to Canada. So, if any Canadians here or anyone know is knowledgeable on certain perks about Canada compared to the UK could give an idea or two it would be mighty awesome of you.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But, uh... isn't Hogwarts in Scotland or something?

3. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

I think the most obvious comment would be that there's less people in Canada and larger tracts of wilderness where you could build Hogwarts, but besides that I'm unable to come up with anything else really. It does seem to be a pointless assignment...
    Edit: That's why it's relocate.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the Wikipedia references:

Antichrist:

5. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Okay, Canada compared to where ever Hogwarts is located in canon. Forget I said UK.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Canada has a lot of empty space so more room for the school, magical animals... maybe they could fit a stadium for something other then Quitditch on campus.

Canada's a beautiful country, much better scenery then jolly old England.

Considering the distance necessary for every student to get to the school a single train would be ineffective meaning we would get a better plot setter then the background info/foreshadowing rich train ride.

Canada's a young country JK would have to come up with a better villain then fanatical aristocracy...

7. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Besides that I don't see any advantages in locating Hogwarts in Canada. In fact there seems to be several disadvantages. Most importantly, if we assume that Hogwarts was made for the magical education of UK children, so there's no point in having such a school in Canada; it'll only increase the transit distance dramatically for Muggles and probably create difficulties for magical parents as well.

However I did think Canada was a bit more isolated than Scotland, but maybe not.

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Yeah, but I just need some reasons for why someone would have Hogwarts in Canada compared to Scotland/UK or whatever. Your points would be great for a refutation paragraph, but he's only 12 so he isn't required to have one.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, Scotland (as of now, anyway) is part of the U.K.

Anyway, this is typical Canadian pandering. Just build your own damn school of magic.

But on topic:
    1) It's close to America. So that when the next dark lord rises, you'll be super close to those uber awesome freedom loving American Aurors who respect muggles!
    2) It'll make it easier for fangirls to not bother with 'Britishisms'.
    3) Just so that I actually help with this assignment, let's say... by being in Canada, Hogwarts would be more ideally suited as a 'Commonwealth' as opposed to a 'British' institution, and thus enjoy both a larger and more diverse student body.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Snowy owls are native, so *everyone* could pretty white owls to deliver their mail, instead of boring brown ones. Also, Hedwig would be able to "blend in" much better, and would be less of a security risk.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    the location of the school doesn't matter. I mean, they don't really interact with the muggle population at any real point. Everything can be replaced with random city in the middle of russia for all that it matters.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That's the faggiest homework assignment I have come across in quite some time.

13. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

sixth grade is tough, guyz

14. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Your little cousin's teacher is a fucking idiot.

15. malaga

malaga Auror

Better weather?

Are you asking for advantages based on Harry's Magical Adventures (TM) -Like the one about owls already mentioned- or on a secretive school system? Because IIRC there was some incredibly long story about a magical school in Canada with vampires, I'm sure in the kazillions of words written they put in some advantages of Canada.

Personally, I can't really see the advantage. I guess you could say the school would be accessible to more people than Hogwarts, which is so close to Beauxbatons, but with magical travel that point is moot. Canada has more open spaces, but a muggle repelling charm and a little cash means Hogwarts could have all the private space it wants anywhere. With a decent expanding charm, they could fit the whole school in a New York apartment building.

Maybe go into an 'escape from You-Know-Who' back up plan, but I don't know how you would expand on that.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

What World said. I read this earlier, but I couldn't quite put into words what I felt about it.

17. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I remember a while ago, about a month, someone posted some morons idiotic claim that Canada is flat because Indians laser-ed it to the ground and that the human race was once much smarter. I'm sure someone remembers, because I was quite traumatized.

Anyway, although that's fucking ridiculous and you should be punched in the face if you actually believe it, it might funny to e-mail the fucktard who thought of it with a story about Harry Potter and magic with his theory.

Also, if you want to make it like the real HP where the cultural base is England and the school is in Scotland, you can replace your Scotland with Greenland... lol

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Wow, Harry Potter fangirl and a Canada fangirl wrapped up in one pretty little package and teaching your cousin. You normally see that more in Americans.

19. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Your little cousins teacher isn't called Ms. Flairgold by any chance, is she?

20. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

The Boreal Forest of Canada is fantastic and very open. You have acres and acres of Forest.

Screw Forbidden forest you have enough land to make your own continent here. You might as well move the entire population of Wizard kingdom here.

Plus the people are nice.