1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wifi connection problems on the mac

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Paranoid Android, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

Hey I've been having some problems with my mac wifi. Whenever I try to connect to a network I'm unable to and I get the error message 'Wi-Fi has self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.'

I've checked on the mac tech support forums but none of the offered solutions have managed to help. Running out of options I decided to do what anyone in my position would, ask for help on a Harry Potter fanfiction forum.

Anyway hopefully one of you guys has an idea on how to fix this. Thanks

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network and chose your wifi connection and take a look if it says "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP". If it doesn't then set it to that.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What have you tried so far?

It sounds like your computer wasn't able to contact the router/AirPort's DHCP server to get an IP, so it assigned itself an APIPA address (169.254.x.x).

Do other devices on the network have the same problem?

4. Paranoid Android

As far as I know none of the other computers on the network have this problem. From what I've found googling this is a somewhat common problem with macs. The computer is set to DHCP but it's unable to automatically find the IP. I've tried using the diagnostics tool, restarting it, turning off th firewall to see if that was interfering and I've tried deleting the network off the keychain app ( apparently that can cause my problem as well).

5. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I am no computer geek and definitely no professional. Following are just my ideas.

I would try this, if I were you. Updating wifi drivers could also help.

I found this:
    Maybe changing encryption to WPA2 (in your router/modem/whatever) would solve the problem.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Try unplugging your router, waiting a full 60 seconds, plugging it back in and turning it on.

7. Paranoid Android

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried all of the above, except unplugging the router ( it's the college internet), but nothing managed to fix it. However the problem ended up fixing its self after a while. Which is going to bug me 'cause I've got a gut feeling that this is going to happen again one day.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Next time I would try releasing and renewing your ip and flushing your dns. That often resolves issues like that. If you're connected to your uni wifi then chances are you were suffering from a congested network or your computer wasn't being giving an address to connect to the internet due to, again, heavy traffic flow. I don't think it's something that's an issue on your end, but rather a limitation of the network you're working on.