1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Will this computer last me 4 years?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sarah, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Seriously I'm a cheap bastard so I was wondering if this computer would last me at least 3 to 4 years.

Its a HP HDX16t series

Specs:

OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1 (I know but I can't find one of these comps with XP [I'll just get the downgradeable Vista])

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4GHz)

Display: 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)

Memory: 4GB DDR2

Graphics card: 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M

Hard drive: 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)

Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit

Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Primary battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

OS and recovery media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

It got mostly good reviews ( 4 and up out of 5 ) but another opinion would be nice.

Heck is this even worth $1700.00?

And if not can anyone recommend a powerful computer with good graphics that will last me 3 + years?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If you're asking if it'll be able to play the latest games for four years, all I can do is laugh at you.

If you're asking whether it'll be good for older to average age games and surfing and whatnot for four years, sure, why not.

And I wouldn't spend 1700 on any computer, but that's just me.

3. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

First one is no...Obviously I didn't think that. >_> My old PS2 can't even properly run some of the newer PS2 games. I wanted to know if it would be able to handle newer programs. I hate PC games most of the time anyway.

But it having enough memory and speed to be able to run several programs at the same time is what I was concerned about.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

I wouldn't pay 1700 for that.

5. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Than can someone recommend a cheaper computer with the same specs then?

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Thinkpads are around the same price, but will physically last longer than shitty HP computers.

Get yourself a T500.

7. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

If it's at all possible, get a desktop, and build it yourself. I haven't worked it out myself, but it might be cheaper to do this and buy a shittier laptop, if you can settle for a laptop that's mainly for surfing the web, email, writing papers, stuff like that, then try to get a laptop that can do both.

Maybe if you can find a laptop that's a better deal than that, it might be worth getting a good one. I don't know to much about the prices of laptops, so I'm no help here

But, I built a desktop to similar specs to that 3 years ago, and it was only $1100. Now you could build a much better desktop for that much, and have enough left over to buy a sufficient laptop if you don't need to use any intensive programs on it.

8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

There's places where you can pick all the shit you want off the shelves, tell it to a clerk, and they'll build it for you. Costs a bit extra, but at least you aren't down near a grand should a stray spark of static hit the wrong place.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Just make sure you have the static field to a minimum when building a computer, and you should be okay. Static can kill a lot of electronics when you're not careful.

10. Trulle

Trulle Second Year DLP Supporter

Actually, most of it is a lot tougher than we might think.
    As I'm experimenting with liquid cooling (yes, my coolings system costs 1000€+ - at that time 1700$) I had some experience with WATER on my parts.

But as he searches for a laptop, have you thought about a MacBook?
    I know, most people are against it, but they last really long. I own one, and even though I'm more into Linux/ more used to windows, I am VERY happy with it.

11. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here is a nice site where you can custom build your own computer. I have a computer I bought last year, can play any game on the market smooth at maxed options, and it only cost me $1,200. Less, with rebates.

If you really want to go cheap, but get a great computer in the end, NewEgg and TigerDirect are great for individual parts. Get those, build it yourself, and save nearly a grand.

Just get on irc and batter me with nickalerts until I come to my computer and I'll go through it with you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  12. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

The thing about laptops is that they are made for mobility.

Sure they are getting more and more powerful these days but unless you are hardcore on moving around from place to place a desktop is going to be better, faster, more powerful, and cheaper. Especially if you or someone you know builds it instead of buying one out of the box.

You asked if it would last you 3 to 4 years. The answer is no. Your battery for one will lose most of it's main charge ability in about 1.5 to 2 years, as all batteries do. This will leave you essentially tied to an outlet for a good period of time. Which is basically turning your once mobile machine into a smaller, more portable desktop with less abilities and a higher price tag.

You have what sounds to be a decent machine but the price is way too high. Think about it, most computers have the same internal components. Same memory and processors. Your just paying 1700 because "it's an HP". 1700 is too high for any computer let alone if you aren't that concerned with video games and graphics.

And the above commentary is for PC's. Macs are a whole different ball game with their pro's and con's, same goes for Linux systems.