1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows7/IE(or Chrome) default proxy settings save.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kthr, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

So, I finally snapped and got tired of enabling the proxy by reaching into the internet properties every time I want to use the internet on my campus. Since Chrome uses IE's settings to configure it's connection, I tried searching a bunch of folders looking for some kind of .ini file where I could write a code in C++ just to change that 0 to 1, in the enable proxy awesomeness setting line.

Thing is, I didn't find it. I tried the registry next, but had no luck there either.

So, anyone knows where the heck can I find the actual location of that damn setting so I can write the script and clear my mind?

Next step in my desperate plea for help would be sending an email to microsoft hoping they would answer it.

Edit: I can't just edit a shortcut path to include the -proxysomething command since I need to enter a username and password(which Chrome and IE save for you.)

Edit 2:I may have found something in Hkeylocalmachine\software\microsoft\Internet explorer\advancedOptions\Http\Proxy (don't know how I missed it) but it's beyond my knowledge to see if any(if it's there) of the options would be the one(my money is on default value)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I believe it's a set of registry entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Most proxy and connection settings are stored there. If you export the settings in one mode (College connection, let's say) and save the .reg file, then change the settings back and export them again as a different .reg file, you should be able to switch fairly handily.

3. Kthr

But by changing the whole lot I could potentially fuck up the system once something cause a change in another part of the register, unrelated with the proxy settings or not, once i change it back to an older version. sorry about the formatting, as I typed this on my cell that can barely connect to the internet

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Right.
    Run regedit.
    Find the registry key, right-click and choose 'Export'. Name it something like 'original.reg'.
    Close regedit.

Make the proxy changes you normally would for the College connection.
    Run regedit.
    Find the registry key, confirm that some of the settings have changed to fit your proxy setup. Right-click on the key and choose 'Export'. Name it something like 'ProxyIE.reg'.
    Close regedit.

Double-click on original.reg and accept changes to set IE back to non-proxy settings.

Essentially, you've made a registry backup of both environments, and can switch them at will.

This gets slightly more complicated if you're using a 64-bit OS version, as there are two keys to consider.

This is a sloppy way to get this done- many wireless NIC managers now allow you to store connection parameters depending on what wireless SSID you're connecting to. Since your hardware/software may vary, this is the generic solution.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  5. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If I understand you right, and I'm not sure that I am, why not use an external Proxy programm, like Polipo, and let Chrome use the settings from it?

6. Kthr

It doesn't have the same level of awesomeness as doing your own. Besides, if you just trust other programs to do everything you wont learn a thing:cool:

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If anyone else is looking for an easy solution to rapidly switching proxies in Chrome, then your best bet is to use a Chrome extension such as Proxy Switchy!, or Switch Proxy.