1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Wish Carefully by Ten Toes - K - One Shot

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by bornagainpenguin, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: Wish Carefully
    Author: Ten Toes
    Rating: K
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Dark Arts or General Fics
    Pairing: Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson
    Words: 7,964
    Published: June 28, 2008

Summary: one-shot told by Lucius Malfoy. What might happen if the Death Eaters got what they wished for…

Link: FF.Nutz

Whoa... I'm not sure what can be said about this without ruining the impact of the fic... All I can say is this is one way the series could have ended well even if it would have been totally OOC for JKR to have done so. Not too sure how heroic this makes Harry out be either, even though it certainly is a brilliant way to do things. I believe it is slightly (as in a pinch of salt, slightly) influenced by Bobmin's Wizards Fall series, anyone whose read that series will see the influence when it shows up.

Delightfully in the way the character inflections come out in the writing style, giving Lucius Malfoy his own "voice" in this fic. Minor quibbles towards the end when there are a few stumbles over the tenses used, but really that's just nitpicking on my part. If this fic isn't DLP.net worthy I'll eat my hat...

--bornagainpenguin

Checked by Minion, March 30, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  2. NataliaGAG

NataliaGAG Fourth Year

I liked it very much!

Good Lucius characterisation, consistent idea and a smart Potter to top it all!

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I couldn't get into it. Idea doesn't seem to be used, but it was wasn't satisfying reading that. Seemed...boring. Couldn't read all of it.

4. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

I actually enjoyed this a little. Sure it had that whole inbreeding makes squibs cliche but it was still entertaining. The irony in particular was delicious. I always love it when people get exactly what they wanted and regret it. The writing was solid and I like the PoV.

3.5/5. Not quite as good as 4 but not as bad as 3.

5. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Quite good. The only problem I see with it was how hard it would be for Harry to get his plan to so many of the "light" side without any of the others finding out.

6. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

The major point that sticks out to me is how it doesn't say anything about people not resisting the move... I know people who won't move from their house for a million dollars just because of 'personal value.' I would imagine the same could be said for quite a few people who have to move in this fic and yet nothing is said about it.

3/5 because I'm removing a point for that lack of realism.

7. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

It's a haunting one-shot, well for the Voldemort supporters. It had some great characterization for Lucius, like bornagainpenguin said the author gave Lucius a voice. The Harry in this story was pretty smart, as well, eventhough we didn't see him on screen, I still liked him.

The only problem I had with this one-shot was Voldemort's characterization. It had a him as a Crucio throwing around maniac, who didn't see the problems with his society. It just came of as unrealistic.

4/5

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

QFT - It was because of this that I couldn't get into the story. I pictured a rabid dog, who wouldn't have been able to rally a sect of Purebloods to follow him in the first place. Still, the writing was semi-decent, and the plot managed to hold my interest. 3/5

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I like it, if only as a guilty pleasure kind of fic. The fact is that JKR would never make a Harry as smart as this one seems to be. She was content to stick with an emo-Harry who lived most of his childhood in a cupboard.

For some reason, this has the feeling of a Disobediencewriter style of fic to me, and I like that.

Reading this, I get the feeling that this kind of plan was thought up by Hermione. This kind of revenge stinks of Muggles-trumping-Wizards just by the very concept. And a certain kind of Harry, presented with this option, might just go for it, instead of wasting his 7th year trekking around for the pieces of a Dark Lord's soul like in a certain Book-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

And as for Voldemort? Unless written in a smart way, like jbern did with To Fight the Coming Darkness, Voldemort seems to me the kind of person that can fight the war, but cannot live in peace. having a victorious Dark Lord is no victory at all.

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Has anyone read " I would rather be a mudblood than a Mudbrain"
    Same idea, way different approach.

Google is your friend.

or Not?

11. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Well I always figured that (going by JKR's characterizations) something Voldemort did over the years--some ritual or another, the making of the horcruxes or even the resurrection ritual itself perhaps had dimished him from his earlier self.

The sly and ambitious boy who grew into the leader of men we see in the books is at complete odds with the Voldemort of the second war. He simply doesn't fit the earlier pattern. So basically I don't have so many issues with this characterization of Voldemort as some of the rest of you do. Do I prefer a more intelligent, more capable Voldemort? Sure! Do I think canon Voldmort desperately needs to read a copy of the Evil Overlord manual? Well....Yes, yes I do.

Even given this 'flaw' I still think its worthy of the Library just for the portrayl of Lucius Malfoy in a realistic manner with a voice befitting his true nature. It'd be nice to see more writing like this from her in the future...

--bornagainpenguin

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was a bit...boring. Less of a story, and more of a plot bunny, explained through Lucius Malfoy's eyes.

Also, there were a few problems with it:

1. Voldemort's characterisation.

2. How completely and easily Harry won.

3. False information regarding inbreeding. It takes several generations to have a noticable effect. Taking away Muggleborns would not lead to a sudden burst in Squibs/lossin fertility, even if you were to say that the Magic gene could be lost through inbreeding (unlikely, since the reason inbreeding is bad is that it causes a loss of genetic variation, and thus you're stuck with what you've got, which in this case includes the magic gene). Pureblooded people had been around for centuries without this "calamity" occurring.

4. Unrealistic in almost every way. The Death Eaters would never have agreed to it, not when they were in the position of having just killed Dumbledore. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by making an agreement with HP like that. The whole "parle" idea was massively overpowered, as was Harry's ability to predict the future.

5. All the "How stupid we were/Harry's so great and was right all along" stuff. It's like reverse self-rightousness: Lucius Malfoy being rightous on Harry's behalf, even though they were enemies.

2/5

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  13. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I agree it's library material, simply for the characterization and "voice" of Malfoy, that's why I gave it a 4/5.

However, the portrayal of Voldemort is a huge flaw in this story. Is Voldemort a little insane? Probably, but he is not like the idiot he is made out to be in this story. Seriously Voldemort isn't about to get outsmarted by the likes of Lucius or Draco Malfoy.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This was a delightful if highly flawed idea. Yes, it's definitely lacking in realism and the scientificky science to back it up. Voldemort is pretty much a caricature of a Dark Lord. And yes, writing about a complete and total loss from the slightly twisted viewpoint of the losers is a nice gimmick to really twist the knife for reader's enjoyment.

My biggest problem was that you get the idea and point, pretty early on. And then we just get more details that anyone with two brain cells to rub together has already extrapolated on their own.

Maybe if we got to hear how distasteful trying to sire heirs with brood mares was, or some further point to the inbreeding reaction we covered in specifics. Instead by the end it felt more like a history book to reference later and less like a snarky personal account.

But that's just nitpicking on a short one-shot with a pretty good and original idea handled well. 4/5

15. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Ok. It is completely out of character. It has a lot of plot holes. The science is whacked, but it is magic, remember Taure, magic isn't logical =D

The reverse self-righteous thing bothered me too, but not enough to not get sucked in. It was interesting, and I was drawn into the story. The narrative was very well written.

4/5 - Library material. It's fanfiction. Not all fanfiction has to be canonically possible.

16. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Nice, solid story. It's not perfect, and it's not Harry-centric; however, it is library quality. 4 stars.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd say I agree with just about everything that's been said so far. Well written, with several flaws, but for a oneshot? It's quite above average.

3.5/5
    -J