1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Wizards Fall by Bobmin356 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Dark Minion, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Wizards Fall
    Author: Bobmin356
    Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 143,427
    Published: Dec 27, 2012
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Summary: A different spin on the Potter Verse featuring a manipulative Dumbledore and an evil worse than Voldemort. A look at what could drive three people to destroy the Wizarding World.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8837257/1/Wizards-Fall

The first chapter was first published on FFA as oneshot, and over the years Bobmin added the other chapters to expand some details and fill some gaps. That also means that the epilogue of the story is the end of the first chapter.

Over the years Harry built a small but growing society on a hidden island in the Bahamas. Now he visits Snape, who is incarcerated in Azkaban, to bid farewell and explain why he is and his people are leaving this world. Thus the first chapter basically summarises the events since Voldemort’s death and the beginning of the fall of not just magical Britain but the magical world.

Apparently the background is based on canon up to the end of book six. But Dumbledore just faked his death and came back right after Voldemort was killed, to take over magical Britain and to lead the magical world into a better future. Though his concept of a better future isn’t in everybody’s interest, and he doesn’t mind to sell out even his most loyal followers to reach that goal.

I like the “World-Building” part of the story. It’s a slowly growing society on a slowly growing island of people forced to leave the wizarding world. In contrast the development of wizarding Britain that’s driving them out has been done before quite often, though mostly worse than here.

There are some elements that annoy me. Dumbledore faking his death is one of the worst manipulative!Dumbledore clichés used in fanfiction. Harry has some emo moments, Luna is a seer with a Muggle science degree and she is the (actually quite ruthless) creative director behind their plot. I don’t mind the way Luna and Harry eventually deal with the rest of the world, but it will probably turn off quite a few people on DLP.

I don’t see it as a mere Muggle technology but as a magically enhanced technological concept that’s obviously inspired by the Borg

I rate it at 4/5 stars for its world building concept, but I assume most of DPL will rate it lower.

2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I've read the first two chapters and I really can't stomach anymore. The story is such a hyperbole - technically the writing is fine, but the story itself is so hamfisted. Harry is the "dark hero" who is naturally always right about everything and is also of course untouchable and totally justified for anything does regardless of how immoral it is. He is omnipotent and can do no wrong, taking a doting wife and having many children with Luna as well. Dumbledore and the Ministry are all bigots and idiots without any proper motivation.

There essentially is no conflict. Harry just plays at being god. It's humorless tripe; it's not even light-hearted or clever, it's just stupid. There's nothing thoughtful or fun here.

1/5

3. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

So standard Bobmin fare then.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

He was one of the first authors that I read multiple stories from, and at the time I hadn't really read much else, so I didn't have anything to compare it to quality-wise. This is a prime example of something not aging well for someone - I go back and look at his stuff, and much like listening to 80's music, I'm left thinking "I liked this once?"

This is the only story series of his that I don't think is just an angsty bash-fest now, and it's still just OK to me at this point - perfect almost recommended material IMO. I agree, his writing is technically good, but I'd love to see what a quality storyteller could do with this concept. 3/5 for me.