1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World Building

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Sechrima, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I'm working on a long-term original fiction saga in the fantasy genre, and currently I'm doing a whole lot of world building (or world planning, really), with only a minimal number of forays into the actual writing of the story (each time I try to start writing, I run into issues that I feel need to be fleshed out in greater detail before continuing). And while I've been world building, I've come across a few issues I'd like to get others' opinions on.

The fantasy world I'm building is roughly akin in shape, inhabitants, and history to Europe, North Africa, and the Near East of the Middle Ages, which is all rather commonplace in fantasy, really. A major difference is the lack of any historical equivalent to the Roman Republic and Empire, along with all the religious and political consequences of that. Also, magic. My first questions are: can a fantasy world modelled on regions of our own real world still raise interest in readers these days, or is it something clichéd and done to death already? Would an entirely unique and completely unfamiliar fantasy setting be preferable? What are the advantages and disadvantages from both a writer's and a reader's perspectives of these two options?

So far the majority of my time has been put into creating a number of languages. Rather than creating slapdash fantasy names and words from the top of my head, I'm following Tolkien's example and developing several full, integrated, and interrelated languages from which a mythology, multiple cultures, and a world history can all be derived with a high level of authenticity. I have an interest in linguistics and languages, so I do tend to enjoy this creative process, even if it does take ages. So, my second lot of questions are: does anyone else go this far in their original writing projects? Why or why not? What would you do differently or in addition to something like creating a whole new language? Do you think this much attention to detail can actually pay off, or are most readers dismissive and unappreciative of such things?

The dominant culture in my story speaks a language which I've loosely based on Old Frankish, Old High German, Old Low Franconian, Old French, and some Latin. The grammatical structure I'm using is virtually identical to German, since I'm familiar with it and didn't feel like inventing an entirely unique grammar. I might eventually do that, however. This culture will roughly resemble the Carolingian Empire, although with some major differences. Chief among these is that the religious climate isn't strictly monotheistic, but rather corresponds approximately to the period of classical history when Sol Invictus and Mithras were in vogue. Also, this Kingdom never fractured in the way that the Carolingian Empire did, although there are stresses between the member ethnicities.

The second-most prominent culture (also a member of the abovementioned Kingdom) is inspired by the Norse, but with a strong Slavic flavour mixed in. I chose to do this so I could write about a Nordic folk without too many of the most common stereotypes. Instead of the Viking adventures that the English-speaking world is most familiar with, I want to explore the Varangian aspect of Norse history. My 'Norse' characters will follow great rivers into the tundra and steppes of the East, and serve powerful satraps in the South as elite bodyguards and shocktroops. As a result of this choice, my Northern Tongue is based primarily on Old Norse, Old East Slavic, Russian, and Finnish.

One question related to all this is: how distinct and unique should a fantasy language be? I want the reader to get a sense of the Nordicness of my Northern Tongue, and of the Frankishness of the Kingdom's speech, but I don't want the languages to appear as cheap clones. Apart from Tolkien's Elvish languages, can anyone point me to any original fantasy languages done right? I'd appreciate it.

So, this is how I've begun to plan the world I'm hoping to write about. How do you all go about it with your own projects? What do you think is important or unimportant?

I have more to say and ask, about common fantasy themes, magical systems, the nature of magic, and its connection with metaphysics and mythology, but I'll leave that for a later post.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would avoid on drawing any too direct parallels. It's good to base some stuff in real life, as that gives a feel of authenticity, but you also want to avoid direct analogy.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a good example. It's vaguely reminiscent of the War of the Roses. But at the same time you have something that makes you think of Hadrian's wall, and the exiled royalty looking to regain the throne after being deposed makes you think of the English civil war and Charles II. The Dothraki are similar to the Mongols, and the Free cities are a bit like the city states of Italy.

So you have a real mix of different eras and areas that combined in an original way that makes any direct historical analogy impossible. But at the same time, it all feels very authentic.

Also, as you say, Tolkein linked his languages with the history and geography. That's what make them interesting. Much of the grammar and vocabulary he invented didn't make it into LotR. It can't. You can't write a story that's a grammar textbook. We can only get glimpses. So if you want any of the your work on the languages to have any effect on your readers, it must be through the way the language is tied into the history and geography. Hopefully history that's relevant to the plot of the story you're telling.

Speaking of story: world building on its own is fine, and fun. But I've found a great way to world build is to write. As you write, you get ideas that are much better than if you'd just been sitting brainstorming.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Like Taure I see no problem with the similar world, in fact it makes it easier for the reader to envision your writing. Guy Gavriel Kay or Phedres Triolgy by Jacqueline Carey are in my opinion a good example on how such a thing is done right.
    A new setting would be preferable if you want to use different races (Dwarves, Elves etc).

The languages thing is an interesting idea but you should be careful not to overdo it. Remember that most of your readers don´t want to learn a new language to understand you story. I would advise you to use it only sparingly like Tolkien. Worldbuilding, languages are all important and can make your story truly great but your plot and your characters are the ground on what you build everything so you should not forget them.

4. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

In my opinion, putting extensive thought into imaginary languages is rather pointless. Yes, it's good idea to decide on some generalities but there is no real reason to actually create the languages. That effort would be mostly wasted.