1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

World Politics thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Faun

Faun Second Year

High Score:
    India cannot do anything more than shelling, crackdown in the valley and rhetoric. China makes everything on diplomatic and economic fronts redundant and India cannot afford escalation.

2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The bright side for all the wrong reasons:

The last time India and Pakistan tested nuclear weapons was 1998. The one thing worse from a nation's geopolitical point of view than detonating a nuclear bomb in a war would be launching a nuclear bomb and not having it detonate.

Short of either facing existential pressure from the other, I'll worry about India/Pakistan getting involved in a nuclear conflict with one another if either (which inevitably means both) of them undergo another series of tests.

3. Agni

Agni Third Year

Ah...there is always the water card to play. The Indus river along with its five tributaries is the lifeline of Pakistan. There is an ever increasing call and indeed inclination to deprive Pakistan's most (read only) fertile province of water.

Then there are other options as well. The 2001-02 military stand off cost India 3 billion dollars and Pakistan 1.5 billion dollars in just a few months. Considering that Pakistan currently has just 8 billion dollars of the foreign exchange, a similar stand off would cost around 3 billion dollars, thus effectively flushing Pakistan down the economic commode.

4. Faun

Faun Second Year

High Score:
    It will be hard to cut off Pakistan's water supply. India doesn't have the infrastructure to divert all the water in the Indus basin. It will be a long term project In the short term, India can easily restrict water flow during the summer, but a normal monsoon will force us to release water.

Mobilising the armed forces can easily escalate into a full blown war, it's more likely that the armed forces will act only when they have credible actionable intelligence. Restricting any potential conflict to the area around the LoC is in our best interest.

5. Agni

Agni Third Year

Yes, that is true. A sudden release of dammed water during the monsoon will do wonders downstream.
    The escalation is always a real possibility; but both the states have indulged in brinkmanship twice after 2000 without going all out. Doing it again would be a matter of taking a calculated risk.

6. Faun

Faun Second Year

High Score:
    Punjab is downstream. Pakistan might be willing to to employ self-destructive tactics, India wouldn't.
    Mass mobilisation will satisfy the armchair warmongers, but a more measured and precise action will serve us better.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    I figured this was a good place for this:

[​IMG]

Source

I found that interesting, especially regarding Ukraine, given the annexation of Crimea. Folks on DLP have expressed different views on NATO, American interventionism, and US being the guarantor of Europe's safety, all while Europe is unwilling to take responsibility for its own security. My position is that Europe should get off its ass and secure itself at the very least. No single European country could project power like America, but if we could figure out this European cooperation thing properly...

I'm a secret European Federalist in my heart of hearts.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I see YouGov is taking a punt on climate change there...

9. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Wow. Fuck you too Germany.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    Not having consulted any specific sources, I’m nevertheless willing to take a punt and say that the unwillingness to “defend” the US against a Russian attack (as if the chronically embarrassing Bundeswehr could ever meaningfully contribute to that) comes down quite a bit to Schröder’s reluctance to back the Iraq War which is a decision most of the German people stood and, according to what I have read, still stand behind. The man himself may have become a glorified Putin shill in recent years, but this is still recited as one of his more enlightened policy decisions whenever his tenure as Chancellor comes up. I would not be surprised if those days left behind some lingering resentment.

If I had to guess, Turkey might be significantly down to Erdogan, who routinely engages in anti-German rhetoric with the more-than-occasional Nazi jibe both in person and via the government-friendly media.

Genuinely no clue about the other two beyond “foreigners are bad“ and that in the minds of many they’re far enough away from the German border to not make undue fuss about.

11. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

The extension of NATO to the eastern periphery was highly fraught with controversy that's never fully settled (but taken particularly to avoid the prospect of eastern european refugees streaming across the borders en masse). It's been a consistent source of strife in US/EU relations, particularly as, like @Nevermind mentioned, the eastern europeans voted as a bloc with the Italians and Spanish to support the American war effort; which Rumsfield used to embarrass the isolated French/Germans.

Worth remembering that NATO membership has been rescinded before. The French withdrew from the military organisation under de Gaulle to rid themselves of non-French bases. Didn't rejoin till 2009.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  12. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

No. That was him taking France out of combined command, which would naturally be dominated by Americans.
    France never left NATO.

13. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Which amounts to leaving the "organisation." France never left the North Atlantic Treaty. Some would call this quibbling, but I beg to differ.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  14. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks like that shitbag Netanyahu is on track for another term.

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

ANTISEMITE!!!!! /s

16. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Is exactly that kind of behaviour and "joking" that results in the ideology of people like Brenton Tent and allowed the alt-right to take over reddit and the -chans...

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Reddit is no danger of being taken over by the alt-right. It's possibly the most left-leaning social network on the web.

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

Lighten up, Francis.

I mean, if ever there is a place for the "both sides" argument, it's this. There are a lot more users on the left-leaning r/politics board (which gets more and more echo-chamber the farther you get from the top few comments, admittedly) than 'T_D' IIRC, but it's not like the rise of the American/Russian/Conspiratard right-wing propaganda machine wasn't pretty much honed to a fine edge on reddit and 4chan. They just don't get to make all their stuff automatically hit frontpage anymore after their bot/brigade tactics came to light. Womp womp.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  19. BTT

BTT Second Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Scott, it hosts r/The_Donald because of muh freeze peach. It's not really leftist by any stretch of the imagination. I know you're probably so far gone you'd think everyone vaguely to the left of Hitler is a Stalinist SJW Moslim planning white genocide, but at least try to see a little reason.

20. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Then it would probably behoove everyone to ensure the kernel of truth the joke's built around didn't exist, wouldn't it?