1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Every Day: Application Matters (Even If You're A Goddamn Slacker Millennial)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Yuli Ban, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Squib

In the dystopian, cyberpunk world of 2015 USica
    Ol' Yuli Baba hasn't been around these parts much, but I promise it's not because I hate y'all— Tali!Ban is the hater.

I'm just trolling around to see if anyone has committed to writing a certain number of words a day, or maybe write for a certain bitta time. I've committed to it, and I've been consistent for about 10 days so far. I figured 5,000 words a day is a good challenge, kept on by the gynoid that lives in my head.

Already, I'm seeing results. Dysthymia? Social anxiety? Pauperism? Child hunger? Donald Trump's candidacy? All solved, give or take a few. Just the act of putting mah soul onto a screen or crisp shits of paper is all I needed. Sure, not all of it has been narrative, but that's okay— if all I need is a journal, or some outlet, writing helps. It wound up helping me establish solid goals that I've been achieving without fail.

So maybe it hasn't solved the issue of how to achieve peace on Earth, but it certainly has impacted my life. I'd go so far as to say it's the best damn choice I've ever made in my life (which isn't saying much; I'd actually need a life to begin with).

I recommend it! Writing every day helps. Most of all, it gives you a base to work with— simply writing every day isn't going to help you improve; no, you're going to need to actually work on that, but it goes far in that department.

Has anyone else tried anything similar?

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There's the 500 words/day club.

Zenzao, I summon thee.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    No mention for me, zenzao? Oh well, I suppose you wouldn't know since you don't frequent IRC much, but I tend to do my writing in big chucks. Like, 10-20k per day chunks, and then procrastinate for another month or so.

Nauro and Roarian often bitch of this. but such is the way of elbow people.

I'm not a very stable or responsible person to hold myself to writing everyday.

5. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Wait. What?

I'm never in IRC. I had no idea you... wow. Just wow. Fucking kudos, man.

6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Eh. I'm pretty sure 500/day is more efficient and productive overall. I just write fast when my muse is around. I'll have anywhere between 5-8k written in 2-3 hours, more on a good day.

But most days I don't write at all.

7. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    It can be fairly effective, yeah. I've charted a lot of different routes through a lot of different ideas. But most things come together very slowly. I rarely exceed 550 words a day outside of anthology drafts, as I tend to put it off to the end of the day(~11 pm). I don't think I've ever written more than 5k in a single day at my best.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Just as I can't practice piano for five hours a day, I can't sustain anything near 5k/day, largely because my stories tend not to be simple, linear things that can be splatted out quickly and with little fuss. When I'm writing, I'm happy to get 1k words/day. That's a long novel per year in terms of output, which is plenty for me.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Rep was writing in google docs once, while I watched. He honestly nearly writes as fast as I read, in some parts.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That doesn't mean much though because if memory serves, you read very slowly Drome.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't read slowly - I just paid attention to your writing in bursts. But there were times when you were spewing out sentences making it hard to catch up.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rep, that's crazy. You know exactly what you want to write when you type at that speed? I stop at least twice if a sentence exceeds five words. Jesus.

Writing every day isn't always feasible for me, but I try to hit a broader goal of 3k words a week. I hit it most weeks. Plenty of false starts and original fiction snippets. I've kept around even some of the shit I produced back in 2008. I come back to that stuff sometimes, just to ponder the journey I've made as a writer since then. The biggest improvement came in the last 2 years, since I joined DLP as a member instead of just lurking unregistered.

Zenzao, you're the fucking boss.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Eh. The uphill battle is actually sitting down and starting to write. if I manage that, the rest goes by itself. I usually have a rough outline already in my head before I start writing, but the rest comes at the moment of writing. I know what I want to achieve with each chapter and some integral parts of the process, but I let the story flow as I write it and it comes to me. It seems to make more sense this way.

Not sure if I made sense, heh.

14. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I use a similar process. When my muse is around, I'll dump 30k into whatever project I'm working on at the time. It's pretty organic actually, especially when dialogue is involved - much easier to just hand the characters the reins and let them take it where the conversation wills. I can refine everything later during editing.

But when the inspiration isn't around, writing is like pulling teeth. I've dicked around for hours before and come up with less than 40 words to add.

I know consistency is key, but damned if it isn't also the hardest part of writing.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    Isn't consistency the hardest part of anything?

16. Swimdraconian

If I can consistently show up every day for a job I hate, I should also be able to work on something I actually like every day. That's the rub.

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Basically this. Exactly this.

I've tried forcing myself to write stuff. I made it, but I was never satisfied with it.

18. Swimdraconian

This is why pretty much my only writing successes have been Circular Reasoning - which is a beautiful, beautiful accident - and my story Juxtaposition from the Unbowed, Unbroken, Unrelenting anthology. Both of which were/are created from this manic spree of writing. And then nothing happens for weeks afterwards. Everything else I've either missed the deadlines or I've flat-lined on where to go with the plot.

I have never found a cure for this. You can see this in my entries in the 500 club... which tapered off in 2012 from lack of effectiveness. I thought about blaming my ADHD, but that seemed too convenient.

It's like the creativity batteries need to recharge. The story holds my brain hostage until it's been written down and then I'm left with nothing while my muse fucks off for a while.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    I see your point, Swim.

For me, the thing about writing that most slows my progress is worldbuilding when it comes to original fiction specifically. Rep can confirm. Had an original idea, started out well. Then Rep poked holes in it and then I started coming up with even more backstories for stuff and eventually it ballooned into a pretty big document that just had me like "and where the hell am I supposed to start?"

Deciding on a point of start and which storyline I wanted to tell was harder than I thought, but once I got the ball rolling, it got a tiny bit easier with every word.

Also, I'm working on a bunch of short stories, loosely tied together. I write a few hundred words for one, then go to another. They're set in the same world and may reference each other, but each is still its own contained adventure. I try to focus more on the characters and events than worldbuilding.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There's the 500 words a day club, which you could probably join if you asked nicely. Zenzao wins the award for that, since I don't think he's missed a fucking day in like 4 years. I shit you not.

For myself... the main thing I've learned from my sporadic writing over the last three years (fanfiction and original fiction) is that if I'm going to finish something I need to outline it. Everything that I outlined to my satisfaction before starting I've finished. Everything that either wasn't outlined, or half-assed outlined, wallows in an unfinished state.

So once I have an outline, I can do 500-1k words a day, and have done in the past to finish a few stories. But personally I need the outline first.

The real reason I wanted to post though is to make sure you're aware of NaNoWriMo, which is coming up in November. Fanfiction is welcome (since it's an option on the drop-down menu when creating your novel), but it's primarily for original works. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50k word novel during November. It's a fairly big ordeal with a lot of support, forums, and other bullshit. Peer pressure to keep you writing.