1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Fanfic that fits within Canon?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll try not to ramble too much here, but I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts in order to make this clear, so here goes.

Writing a story that fits within canon can be tricky for various reasons, the primary one being that it tends to rob your story of suspense or lasting impression. I.e. it's a 'filler' arc, for lack of a better term.
    Examples:
    Harry Potter - (1) Story that takes place during a summer not covered by the books, (2) Story that takes place during part of the school year that wasn't covered by the books.

Naruto - (1) A mission that wasn't covered in canon, like a filler arc, or (2) Writing about Naruto's journey during the Timeskip.

Dresden Files - Writing a case Dresden got involved in between book events.

One Piece - The Crew visits an island that isn't mentioned in canon.​
    In all of the above cases, you go into the story knowing that at the end of it none of the main characters are going to die, none of them are going to learn anything significant, and nothing that affects the greater plot of canon is going to be affected. B/c you've written something to fit within canon, and that tends to rob the story of some suspense.

Granted you can do this with parody or humor pretty easily, or by filling in a 'missing moment' that is confirmed to have happened via canon but not shown, but I'm talking about writing a complete original non-humor/parody fic.

The only way around the issues I can think of is to introduce an OC, make the readers care, and then use them to generate suspense. Any idea how else to manage this?

Or anyone have a good recommendation of a story that does this? I'm thinking in the 15-40k range. Any longer and it wouldn't fit within canon, and any shorter and you're likely not going into as much depth as I'm imagining.

At any rate, I had a story idea that I wanted to fit into canon. That's why I'm asking. But after giving it some thought and coming up with the above, I think I might be better off just using an AU world. I can still start at a time point in the middle of canon, and I can indicate that major events are unchanged, but if I stick enough deviations from canon in early on then readers should realize they're reading a short story set within an AU. I could leave the impression that major canon events are unchanged while all the minor events and details are different, and that should help with the issues.

Thoughts on that kind of story? An example would be...

Harry Potter - Summer before Third Year Harry touches a portkey that drops him off in the wilds of Australia with his best friend Seamus Finnegan. They mention events from canon to indicate that the major plotlines are all intact, and the story ends with them arriving at Hogwarts and starting 3rd year just as in canon, but there's 20k of Aussie adventures in there.

Naruto - A 'mission' that's assigned involves Naruto and his team going to... Uh, somewhere they didn't go in canon. Except his teammates are different, indicating an AU, but discussion/hints involving larger plotlines (Akatsuki, Uchiha Massacre, Wave Country arc, etc) all indicate that canon events happened.​

The reason I'd want to emphasize canon events having happened is because a short story like this wouldn't have time to get into those properly. Better to let your readers assume some things are the same while delving into something completely original. Change too many major things and you need to explain what's going on.

So when is the right time to do those things (i.e. fit within canon vs au short story), and what are the challenges of doing them? How to do them right?

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I have some thoughts on the rest of your post, which I'll get in to tomorrow (maybe, if I'm not lazy), but I did want to point out this one:

The Strange Disappearance of Sally-Anne Perks

...basically fits what you're looking for to a T. Smack dab in your word count range, a neat little pocket-mystery during October of PoA, before the Sirius Black thing heats up too much.

Completely original, non humor, non crack, set within the canon framework but completely independent of any of the overarching plot.

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It could serve as a good space to slip in romances that did not appear on screen. For instance, there's a whole lot that could be slipped into that space between Harry's first kiss with Cho and his arrival in the common room looking rather 'rumpled.' It doesn't have to be parody or humor, but conversely, could be paired very nicely with it.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You mean like the Dresden thing I wrote called Voices? It was 10k of words and it barely got any attention. Kinda stopped me from dipping my feet in that pond again.

Admittedly, when I wrote it the Dresden scene wasn't as big as it is now.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Interesting point. One thing to consider, if you want to stay canon compliant, is creating enough suspense at the beginning of the story that readers can’t help themselves but to plough through just to see how you connect whatever you mucked up for the protagonist at the beginning to the end.

Also, I’d abstain from using plot elements that include physical danger, at least in the sense of someone dying, or getting seriously injured. The ‘known’ fact that Harry is still alive (Seamus probably, too), takes away every bit of suspense. Which is sad, because I’d love to see Harry go up against all the nasty Australian critters.

6. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

What you're looking for sounds a lot like the Naruto story I'm currently writing. It is an AU and I've posted it in the WbA section.

7. Stan

Stan Order Member

Its been a while since I read it, but if I remember correctly, Geminio by Portus is a one-shot that fits within the framework of canon. Its slightly hard to keep track of all thats going on in your first read, but its a great story.

Sesc has a couple of stories of this kind as well. Pillars of Power is a great political story, as is A Beautiful World, which I can't seem to find at the moment (I would appreciate a link - it isn't there on ff.net despite saying so on the profile page).

There is also A Very Secret Diary which is a chilling exploration of events that took place in the background of the Chamber of Secrets plot. I'm not sure whether its exactly what you're looking for though.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

This is kind of a shared responsibility of the authors in the fandom, helping one another out with feedback. I personally rather like stories like that. Dunno about others.

Twine Bracelet comes to mind.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to find that fic you mentioned, Jon.

9. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

I don't really need to fear characters dieing to have suspense. Not everything has to be a life or death situation.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A Beautiful World can be found in the WBA, here.

I came here to recommend The Strange Disappearance as well. I think it has exactly the right formula for how to run a canon-compliant story - that is, tangential to the plot, with it clearly present, but not focussed on or pushed in your face, and entirely self contained in its own story.

I agree that if it goes alongside canon (as opposed to being set in a different era - I'd consider, for example, Hogwarts House Divided and large portions of The Snape Chronicles to be canon compliant), either the protagonists must be changed, or the focus needs to be such that it can work in a very self-contained manner, as obviously we're not seeing its influence on canon. That means things like mysteries/detective stories, romances, or on magical culture not explored in canon are much more likely to work well - you can't very well have a Death Eater attack in sixth year and expect it to slot in well with canon, for example.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Good points so far all.

Regarding the suspense angle... Well, in my case, the idea I had was for the Naruto fandom. It's not required that it contain a life-or-death situation, but I'd feel I didn't do the story justice if they didn't end up in a big fight at some point.

But even without life-or-death situations at hand, it's hard to have any kind of major situation that would cause character changes or whatever else fit into canon. Hence why I was considering the AU angle.

But so far I've gotten a few things to think about here. Good points all around, and some good recs.

12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

If it was HP, I guess you could use one of the holiday breaks to write a plot and then obliviate the character(s) at the end. That would be quite convoluted, but I imagine the success or failure of the story would probably depend on your plot itself.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Besides the solutions already covered, there are two additional ways: The first is to change the POV, so you basically have Canon, but a different perspective on it (this is what I did in A Beautiful World, another example would be The Secret Diary of Fleur, aged 16 3/4), and the other is probably my favourite way: You actively use the foreknowledge the reader has by creating a tragedy. This is partly what I did in Pillars.

A defining element of a tragedy is that you can see the end coming -- often the characters themselves see the end, but are unable to do anything to change it. The tragic ending is inevitable.

You see how this can easily tweaked to work here: You use the knowledge of the reader about the future to create the end condition, and then all that's left is to write a decent tragedy, which works in the usual way: the reader knows how the story will end, the reader knows whatever he reads can't make a difference because the outcome is inevitable, but he can't help but hope.

Stan -- the reason it's not yet on there is because it has a rather large continuity error I haven't fixed yet. I should probably do that sometime soon, yeah.

14. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Ugh, please don't. It's infuriating as fuck when this happens.

As to suspense: The Ciaphas Cain (hero of the imperium!) series manages this relatively well even knowing Cain, Jurgen and Amberley will be just fine at the end of it.

Dresden Files already has many short stories which fit right into canon yet are never mentioned except throwaway references.

15. DC

DC Groundskeeper

This is something I've wondered about recently. I'm a part of the Naruto fandom as well, and I know you know that bad self-inserts have taken it over.

I thought about - HEAR ME OUT - writing the same for Harry Potter. I'm pretty sure nearly every DLP member is going to end up in Ravenclaw, to experiment with and learn as much magic as they can. Here's the catch -

Ever thought that there was too much coincidence in the Harry Potter universe? Challenges tailormade to the three protagonists, clues falling right and left into their laps, minimal casualties despite the fact that the Death Eaters and their leader are supposedly the stuff of nightmares? That's the SI's job. Make sure everything stays canon, while wrestling with the fact that they won't get any recognition for their efforts. They're forced to stay within limits because a single wrong move may end up killing hundreds of people. At the same time, they have to deal with the fact that their own family is alive, but won't recognize them. Maybe they're even in love with one of the main characters, but can't do anything about it without risking a massive timeline change.

Even a standalone few chapters during the Seventh Year would be a great story. Get dropped right into the action, and see the hero(ine) go crazy trying to save lives and protect Hogwarts from antagonists left and right.

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Uh, no?

And self-insert stories are shitpointless.

And that sounds even more stupid. If it actually was me, I would stop doing that at once. I've got my own life to care for.

But then again, I disagree with the premise already (no, I don't think Canon is overly convenient), and other than that: what I said above.

17. James

James Unspeakable

Ugh, I hate this, in both time-travel and self-inserts.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Instead of Canon I saw Conan in the thread title. Was disappointed ;)

19. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

No, definitely not. Where did you even get such an idea? I think you're focusing a little too much on the house clichés. Raveclaws do not have a monopoly on learning magic or experimenting with it.

20. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Only if your goal is to troll your readers. There's probably worse ways to end a story, but I can't think of any.