1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wyldfae Mantles

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ravnius, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

So, I have a purely theoretical question. It's never addressed in the books, and as far as I can tell, there is no WoJ on the subject.

Can the Wyldfae that are explicitly stated to be as powerful (or close to as powerful) as the Queens have Knights? Not do they, as it either hasn't been addressed yet or doesn't exist, but COULD they? All opinions welcome.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's theoretically possible, as a Knight is nothing more than a mortal champion. A Fae with free will, essentially.

I doubt there currently exists a "Mantle of the Wyld Knight" or whatever though. It would probably have to be created, much like the Summer/Winter Knight Mantles were.

3. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Well I would think all the most powerful of the Wyld would make one. Knight of the Erlking, Knight of Santa and so on. Heh, Knight of Santa. Wouldn't that be awesome?

4. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Depends on how easy it is to create such a mantle. It might be a lot harder than just removing a part of your own power. We don't know how the current mantles were created afterall, it might require something incredibly unique.

5. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Well it's likely going to feature in my current fic, so I've been really thinking on the issue. Keep in mind this is ALL my own opinion and ideas. I just want to see if it sounds plausible. If ANY of this contradicts directly stated canon or WoJ, please bitch-slap me and correct it.

So far what I've been thinking is that it requires a tangible sacrifice to transfer. When the power is to be shifted, someone has to die. Whether it's the current holder or someone else depends on the circumstances. Plus, the Mantle itself is not just an investment of power, it's a portion of the Fae's being. For instance, the Winter Mantle embodies characteristics of Winter. So the granter of the Mantle isn't just giving up magical juice, they're embodying a mortal with a bit of themselves.

With those ideas in mind, the actual method of transference should be considered. I remember in Changes they performed the ritual at the Stone Table, which is specifically designed for that kind of thing. So place is definitely a factor.

Dammit I really hope I'm making sense. This is kind of a linchpin to my story, and I don't want to fuck it up.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, it depends really. The Knights are around because the real big players don't tend to set foot on Earth (WoJ has it that doing so effectively breaks reality while they're there), so they use lesser beings and Knights as their emissaries. Santa/Odin already hangs out on Earth a lot so he doesn't really need a Knight, whereas the Erlking is a recluse when he isn't leading the Wild Hunt.

Doesn't mean there aren't other Knights around, of course.

---------- Post automerged at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

As for creating mantles, I'd say you can do it anywhere and when you please, if you know how. It wouldn't be a very powerful mantle, but you could do it (not all mantles are made at the Stone Table after all). The Faerie Queen mantles gained power through ritual sacrifice, which they then passed on a slice of to the Knight's mantle. There may be other ways to power up a mantle, but sacrifice is the good old standby and is probably the most effective means of doing so.

Remember that Cowl was trying to create a mantle with the Darkhallow and the process for it is described as pretty simple, in theory.

7. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Shit, that's right. I forgot to factor in what we learned about the whole concept of Mantles in Cold Days. Thanks Aekiel.

8. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I feel like any Wyldfae powerful enough to consider making a mantle would be very cautious about doing so. IIRC Wyldfae are a little bit stuck in between Summer and Winter. Even giving up a little power to create a mantle for a mortal champion could throw off the balance of power somewhat. Or alternatively be seen as the "other side" (i.e. summer or winter) trying to quietly make a move using the Wyldfae.

Or something. I'm not especially up on WoJ.

9. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Hmmmm...I had thought of that, but was going to try and brush off the issue. However, that could be a good plot point for a sequel. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

10. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

I don't think that that amount of power would really make a difference.

Plus, they're Wildfae. They are NOT Summer or Winter directly.

If Lea or Maeve or Eldest Gruff were trying to make a Mantle? It might draw notice. (I don't know if it would actually affect things, though, because it would just mean that rather than having 10 points of power they'd have a Mantle worth 10 points of power -- power is shuffled around, but not ultimately removed from the influence of its home court.)

11. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Well it's not so much about direct power as it is influence. Having a servant fully able to interact with the mortal world and fit in is a powerful tool to the Fae.

12. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

But the question is why would need/want the Wyldfae that sort of influence? Even Summer and Winter mostly ignore the human world and the only powerful wildfae that has interest is the Erlking who doesn´t need a knight.

13. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

My story involves old Celtic mythology. I figured the Morrigan, who likes to meddle in EVERYTHING, would appreciate that kind of power.

14. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

I think in the short-story "Curses", Harry learns that the "don't kill mortals" thing is strictly Winter/Summer.

Other fey or sidhe, such as the Welsh Tylwyth Teg in "Curses", are not bound by that.

15. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Even still, a Wyldfae with queen level power would be just as bound by the constraints of reality if they entered the normal world. I believe WoJ is that most high-level fae are cut off from the majority of their power because otherwise they'd break reality. Having someone who can do your will with a bit more subtlety could be useful for such creatures.

Or, you know, you could appear and start melting faces with your very presence.