1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-men Legends 2 Rise of Apocalypse & comic book summary

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Graphics: 3 out of 5. Its a comic booky feel, with 2 skin choices for your characters to start out with. All graphics are not where they should be. The enviroment's look good, the characters themselves however are another story. They're not blocky as hell like the shaded charactes in XIII were, but they aren't detailed enough, and do look odd.

Interface: -100 out of 5. It sucks more then a Ginny who hasn't had any jizz in the middle of a all straight male orgy. There is a setting to enable FSAA, and Screen resolution and that's it. The game is often very dark in areas, and since theres no in game brightness setting you're screwed.

Couple that with the fact that the game does NOT like to be alt-tabbed, and it will not run in a window.. meh. The movement controls are horrible. You can click with the mouse, which will leave you flinging it about like a child with A.D.D. on speed trying to click on the clusterfuck of things that get tossed at you at once, or you'll be using the WSAD keys to move... which removes the ability to use the MOUSE TO SELECT THINGS TO ATTACK?!? WTF?

Taking your hands off the movement controls will allow you to select a monster to attack, and then you get to either hold down LMB or RMB to do weak attacks that take forever to do anything, or you can use your mutant powers which run off a energy meter that runs out in about oh.. 3 seconds. Oh, and btw if you don't hold down the mouse button and choose to attack using the WSAD and the 1/2/3 keys, you will miss the enemy about 90% of the time.

You can quickly tell this is a console game at heart, as the menu system alone is enough to make you want to kill the programmer. You have to scroll, slowly to your selection. The scroll box stops slowly at each choice on the screen, and then moves, stops, moves, stops, etc, until it gets to your selection. Then, instead of opening up the submenu, you have to click again and wait 2 seconds or so for it to open.

Additionally the camera. It's either straight overhead, like 10 feet above the character's head, or it's at a 45 degree shot about 10 feet over. Meaning? You can't see shit. There is no long range game, despite the fact that the character often have ranged attacks going well off screen, you can't zoom out to see what you're getting into.

There is also piss poor documentation, which results in alot of the cool things you can do, being impossible to know about unless you went digging on the internet. That's inexcusable.

Audio: 5 out of 5. Just what you'd expect, including some of the movie actors lending voice work to their characters. The Wolverine voice isn't Jackman, but whever did it did a much better job.

Character Selection: 5 out of 5. There are combos you can do with certain characters, such as Wolverine+Colossus' fastball special that are animated incredibly. Another good example is the Magneto+Wolverine adamantium attack, or Cyclops+Jean Grey. They're all animated great.

General stuff and issues: You can't tell whats going on a good deal of the time. You have 4 characters onscreen, then combine that with the 3 you don't control like to wander offscreen to attack stuff, and anywhere from 1-10 enemies bumrushing you, you often are left trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

The loading is often very, very, very annoying. They should of tweaked the code for the PC version that you didn't see loading screens if you go into see the new artwork you just picked up, it's one damned picture frame for chistsakes you don't have to make me see a 10 second loading screen damnit everytime.

Overall: 3 out of 5. Fun game to pick up and play if you're bored, and maybe it'd be much better if you used a controller, but I haven't figured out how the hell to get mine to work with it yet, so maybe it's not possible *shrug*

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Wolverine! :p

3. Midknight

I managed to get a controller working with this game on my laptop earlier, and it's playability easily shoots up many, many times.

It still does not overcome the camera of various other issues, but for control it felt much better.

It is harder to attack things, due to not using a mouse, but the game feels way better this way.

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

fuck -__- ... and here i was going to down... er...down soda after i had gone to get the game and play it..

5. Midknight

rofl. It's still a fun stress reliever Vash tbh, I think I just went in expecting high quality PC game type controls.

It really is decent with the controller, but you'll still be using keyboards for various bits.

If they'd release a camera patch, a speed up increase in the menus, and a brightness/gamma/contrast option in them game itself (the game seems to ignore your settings you put on the desktop) it'd be great.

BTW did you get your Foamy fix from me yet? I've had it up constantly since I tossed it up

Also on a side note, the game got me reading the Ultimate X-men series, and I have to say I like it alot. No more reading assloads of abandonded plotlines, random character deaths and resurrections, etc that the normal Universe had when I abandonded following it in the early 90's.

These new X-men are late teens, smart asses, powerful, and in a world that hates them and actually acts on it. Magneto is done great, and Xavier finally stops being such a pussy and is grey instead of goody two shoes. I've just got 1-60, and am only done reading some of it, but I'm enjoying it alot.

Last time I liked comics this much was back during the Age of Apocolypse storyline when everyone got redone.

Hell the first issue alone has a mark out Magneto moment, he meets with this little human who lost his nuclear device he was trying to buy, and he uses his powers to rip out this dudes pacemaker... thats hardcore

6. Antivash

i got those from *** but my HD crashed.. thanks for reminding me .. im gonna redownload them i think.... i read the first few ... up to where cyclops abandoned magneto when he sent the sentinals after the normies... fucking awesome i think..

another good set of Xmen is Phoenix Endsong (5 issues) and Wolverine Origin (6 Issuses) ... i really liked Endsong, but then gambit wolverine and phoenix have always been my favorite characters..

yesh i did feed my foamy fiending ... and i might check out the game... maybe .. ive got an xbox controller i can use on my PC ... depends... what are the sys requiements on thet anyway?

7. Midknight

I dunno, but 2ghz Celeron (ew) 768 megs DDR RAM, 256 meg ATI vid, and it runs flawlessly, which is weird b/c my shitty celeron proc usually cripples most decent games.

I enjoy the line in there where Magneto says "They send Chromium machines to kill a master of magnetisim...No wonder we call ourselves Homo Superior, any species this stupid desrves its little free fall down the food chain.

Magneto is finally done right damnit, it's about time, i'm making out the more I read this. I'd of wished for a better Jean Grey, as she looks rather dykish (short buzzcut and spiked hair with earrings) but other then that, no complains so far.

-I edited out the name of the BT site, trying to keep to the rule in the top about no download sites named so we don't get caught up in a damned sweep like so many forums do, I'll do a sweep shortly of most of the names I know I've name dropped a few myself somewhere before.

Lemee know if you get them, otherwise I can send them to you over Yahoo

The only Origins I've been able to find are in Polish, and I can't find Phoenix anywhere. What was behind the Phoenix one, did they bring back Jean Grey for the 298289289th time again?

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i think out off all the characters in X men i hate Jean Grey the most...she is the most powerful being in there and she still die and comes back just to die again

9. Midknight

heres a link to the panels Vash is talking about where Magneto owns these Sents

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/shut-up_by_foxwaltz.gif

Jean Grey, and a few of the suckier X-men annoy me. The tired ass storylines the old series used is what made it so bad though, I mean they finally tied the Legacy Virius up after what, like 10 years or something?

Did they ever figure out what the hell was up with Mr. Sinister?

Then that shit that kept pulling where everyone was a clone, and when the clone died the original showed up form some weird assed place, etc. The constant crossovers and aliens and alternate realities killed the "real" universe.

I've read out this House of M shit also, where the SCARLET WITCH?!?! somehow changes all reality to where mutants are the majority and Magneto rules the world in the base universe (described as Earth 616). and it all revolves around this one little girl to save them all??? Seriously wtf. No thanks I'll stick to Ultimates, they seem to be Xmen done as they should be, not 30-50+ year old guys that've died more times then Christ, with convoluted story lines that get abandoned whenever a new writer takes up the pen, which is anywhere from months to years.

And what the hell is up with Joss Whedon of Buffy the vampire slayer doing writing comics? Direct a few cute girls and all of a sudden he's a comic man?

EDIT: I just can't stop freaking out as I read these issues, the damned series is full of classic one liners and just plain kick ass moments

During the attack on D.C, Magneto captures the president (George Bush, how the hell did they get the okay to use Rice and Bush for this?!), and he has him naked on the White House lawn licking his boots clean while he's holding a burning flag.

Magneto lifts the presidental motorcade and trys to slam them together, stopping inches from making a Dubya pancake by Prof. X

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This sounds awesome.

11. Midknight

12. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

if up look up these characters in Wikipedis, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men, you find out half the people are related to each other...for example cyclops is gambits half-brother( when did this happen?)

13. Antivash

yeah... jean does look a bit dykish... but yeah i found them... then entire marvel ultimate collection ... ultimate x-men iron man ect... xmen up to #61

Yeah they did bring jean back in endsong but it was still a very nifty storyline in it... i thought, even with jeans three kagillionht resurrection it was good... lemmie know if you need want it and, and since ive lost mine and need to replace it, im going ot a friends to grab a copy from him saturday...

14. Midknight

yeah if you wouldn't mind, lemee borrow Origins from ya over yahoo sometime.

Did I hear something about they made Wolverine's real name James?A?! pfft Logan was much better. Then again they've messed with Wolverine so much it's painful to try to understand the backstory.

Onl up to like episode 15 of Ultimate X-men, I really didn't like them all getting nabbed by Weapon X, but other then that I love it

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

His name is James!? Urgh... Logan is definitely better.

16. Antivash

o_O ... why do i suddenly see these xmen/potter crossover authors suddenly writting wolverine as james potter now? ... blah is all i can say..

but ive not ogt oigins yet.. saturday if a friend still has it around, ill send it...

17. Midknight

ug dear lord james potter..

Ya know.. in Astonishing X--men, there is a bit where when they are restarting the school, Shadowcat asks if she missed the sorting hat when she shows up late to the first meeting, and in Ultimate X-men, the Gambit issues early one, the girl he saves mentions Harry Potter stuff a bunch (no I'm not shitting you she says can he take her to Harry Potter, she knows he's just a kid but he killed this snake, etc)

It just might be possible, rofl.

18. Antivash

O_O ... i wanted to check out astonishing xmen but i dun think i will anymore... and damn them all to hell for ruining good gambit bits like that...

19. Midknight

It may actually be good, that was just one bit I read I think on marvel.com's site, they call them dotcomixs

20. Antivash

... ugh... read up to the end og the pro-mutant article of Ultimate Xmen... Gambit seems too... lovey dovey to me... and when, exactly, did they ever say his father kicked the shit out of him? ... i dun remember that in the original... though its been a while since ive read it... but yeah..i cant find astonishing xmen anywhere... ill have to go out ot walden books and check... or the comic shop down from the college..

and speaking of colleges... i can feel your pain now mid.. i had to carry a three hundred pound machine up three flights of stares today.... i dont want to have to do anytihng more that that... ever... its EVIL ....