1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox ONE

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Rache, May 21, 2013.

1. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The next generation console from Microsoft is titled 'ONE' and it's a pretty neat device.

The design of the console though could have used some polishing. A cuboid is so not 'cool'. :mad:

So, Xbox One-All you need to know.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like it has a lot of cool features for people who don't know how to use PCs.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A whole lot of gimmicky Kinect bullshit and buzzwords, then they cap it off with an EA partnership. The Wii U is actually looking good in comparison.

EDIT: Oh boy, now a partnership with the fucking NFL. This is just hilarious. Whatever happened to game consoles?

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Started off with a terrible name (XBOX One, seriously, what a fucking joke) and continued with endless CBS and nonsense sports shit.

Nothing sold me on a PS4 more.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Yeah, that won't be confusing at all. There's no way people could mix this up with the first Xbox.

Seems like it would be a great product in a universe where computers had never been invented. As it is, it seems they're trying to fish for a customer base that a) wants the features of a PC but b) refuses to get a PC, and Apple has already sewn that market up tighter than a drum.

The only good thing about this is it won't be much of a competitor for the Steam Box. Hopefully this will be the generation that finally finishes off the filthy console peasants for good.

6. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Here's the bit of information I found most enlightening, having just built myself a new PC and needing something to laugh at: no backwards compatibility for Xbox ONE.

On that note alone I wouldn't buy that machine, or the PS4. Jesus Christ, how the fuck do you screw that up?

7. Glapsvior

Glapsvior First Year

It's a brand new all in one device for frat boys!

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The PS4 at least has an excuse in that Sony has a history of stupid internals (there's no way they're putting a Cell in a PS4, that's just not going to happen.)

That doesn't make it OKAY, really, but it's at least UNDERSTANDABLE. I have no idea what's stopping the Xbox. I thought they were already on an x86 architecture?

EDIT: Also, have some comedy.

NTD
  9. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Not to mention the fact that all Xbox One games require an install onto your Xbox. Good luck letting your friends borrow your games from now on.

I stuck to PC ports for most games in this last generation. I'd rarely borrow someone's PS3 or Xbox 360 to check out a game. I feel like I didn't miss much. And I think I'll be repeating this pattern through this next generation.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Call of Duty People:

"Hey guys! Call of Duty: Ghosts has a dog! Don't you like our dog?! Isn't it cool?!"

:facepalm

11. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

Don't worry guys the Xbox One won't require internet connection for single player!

12. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I don't know why so much hate for this. They're just trying to build a new market since "just games" consoles have existed forever now. While I'm not particularly happy on the install-only development nor am I happy with the non-backwards compatibility it's not really as bad as all that. Just don't throw out your old 360 and BAM problem solved.

I'm actually really interested in this update to the gaming system as it brings us a hell of a lot closer to the futuristic "VR" feel that I've always liked. The fact that it's able to interact with my TV just makes me more excited since now I'll never have to deal with a damn remote again.

The partnerships don't bother me in the slightest though as they have to do something to keep a competitive edge. Wii U has the gimmicky controller and motion sensitive play, PS4 has power, Blu-Ray and it's own fanbase along with some very exclusive franchises. Xbox needed a way to stay competitive and if they decide to re-design the way I watch movies, TV and play the games I like well, then they're at least trying.

That being said, fuck the name and fuck the console shape/design.

Also, it's not going to be seen as an alternative to PCs and Macs Tehan, it's still considered a game console. The same way a PC and Macs are still considered computing machines and internet machines instead of gaming consoles, despite they're ability to do so.

ITT: A bunch of PC gaming elitists.

13. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Because I am a person who likes video games, and they spent an entire conference talking about things I do not intend to use on my video game console. I don't even have TV anymore. I could see myself maybe using skype or IE considering how easily accessible it is, but considering the fact that all of those features on 360 is limited to Live Gold and they said nothing about making Live Gold free, I'm way more likely to just use my laptop for that.

In an age of tablets and smartphones, the vast majority of those features aren't interesting or useful, and besides, Kinect doesn't fucking work. Maybe this new one will, but I'm not convinced.

FEdit: I'm not a PC gaming elitist, for the record. I specifically mentioned earlier how this is pushing me towards the PS4. Because Sony has shown since they unveiled their console that they're putting games first. This conference came off to me as Microsoft being smug and forgetting about its core audience.

15. Riley

So you don't watch any type of TV show or movie ever? If you connect smartglass to your 360, you can stream what's on your laptop to the TV. Maybe watching it on your laptop is your preferred mode of viewing, but I love to watch movies and TVs on the thing I fucking bought for that express purpose.

As for not talking about games, look the technical specs they gave and think about what can come from that kind of power. This was a reveal of what the damn thing is, they still have E3 to actually show the rest.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It seems like another way to cash grab, but will probably cost them more in the long run (in regards to backwards compatibility). I'm sure they'll make it so you can download original games for $10 each or something. And fuck EA, just fuck that, holy hell. The last fun sports game I played was NHL Hitz, and that was 10 years ago.

Just to be clear, I've been an XBox fan for it's existence (but still own a ps2 and ps3... and a wii...) and my xbox 360 game library is fairly large. If I were to buy this console, it would at least need to have five good non-pc RPGs scheduled to come out in the first year and a shooter that just happens to be named "Star Wars Battlefront 3"

Also, Uncharted 4 is scheduled as a game for it, wtf?

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I DO catch all of the TV I watch on my computer, yes. Almost every movie I watch is from Netflix.

Which they actually bothered talking about for like ten minutes of the whole 65 minute conference, with a small trailer from EA sports, that Remedy game, and CoD Ghosts, which didn't take up much of the conference.

18. Riley

Guess who has a partnership with Netflix?

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

20. Riley

My point about E3 still remains. This was an unveiling, not E3.