1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xiph0's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Xiph0, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Xiph0's Challenge #1:

Summary: To write a believable fic within which Harry properly utilizes the DA for influence or intelligence purposes (such as bribery, spying, tracking, stalking or whatever). The actual parameters of sides/conclusion can be determined by the author.

Rules
    :

- Harry must use the already set up DA organization to his benefit for the war with Voldemort, and must use them in either a fighting, intelligence, or influence capacity. Preferably a combination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have to explain this one a bit. There's a scene in HBP (the movie) where the Harry/Hermione/Ron follow Draco and his mom through Knockturn, twisting around corners and such, and everytime I see it I can't help but think of how awesome it would be if at any point Harry had put together an MI5-like team just to follow and snoop on the Death Eaters.

However, I also like the idea of him using the traditional purebloods in the DA to manipulate like Lucius does for Voldemort (be it through Neville or Susan or anyone). You don't have to go over the top with titles and such, just lobbying Susan's grandma through her would be believable and doable.

Normally I'd write ideas like this myself, but I have commitment problems and tend to drop fics, which is a shame because the ideas themselves are - in my opinion - epic and deserving of being spun into epics. So if any of you would like to take it and run with it, I would be extremely excited to see what you came up with.

2. Rym

Rym Auror

When I read that, I couldn't help but imagine Harry sending Cho on a mission to seduce someone for information.

But in all seriousness, you're right. The idea does have a lot of merit - could be a cool little fic.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    So you want a more serious version of nonjon's DA Missions series (where the DA functions as an intelligence and wet-ops organization controlled by Harry)?

4. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

The first thing that came to my mind was nonjon's DA Mission ficlets, but I do believe the idea can still maintain some merit. If inspiration strikes, I may give it a go myself...

EDIT: Perspicacity beat me to the nonjon thing.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Pretty much, yeah. I want him to use what he's set up instead of it just fading off. Harry really matures in HBP/DH but he never takes command, and in fanfic rarely does so realistically.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The challenge made me think of those university secret societies you hear about every now and then, like Skull and Bones at Yale. After everyone's grown up, Harry could pull some serious strings just by calling in favours with ex-DA members.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I wrote a story once where Slytherin alumni maintained a social network similar to this, which served as a clearinghouse for information exchange. It makes sense, given the nature of the house, and is the kind of thing Harry could do initiate with his DA.

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Could be epic, as long as Harry isn't Lord Potter-Black-Gryffindor, doesn't have multiple seats on the Wizengamot, can't do Wandless magic, and if all those before-mentioned things don't exist at all.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Exactly, only shit's a bit more real considering the very-real war for existence going on.

10. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

And soon it shall evolve to something similar to Voldemort's death eaters, except with lemon drops as their slogo rather than the unfashionable "Dark Mark"

11. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

So uh bro, you seem pretty adamant about getting your post count up by necro-posting old threads and adding nothing useful. I think my entire new posts page is full of topics bumped by you. Tone it down. You're not gonna get respect for adding useless bullshit to a dead thread.

12. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can't wait till you get banned for this shit.

13. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

It's like a spork, except with a logo and and a slogan, together in one retarded tattoo!