1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Your Phobias...

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by AmerigoCorleone, Nov 4, 2015.

1. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

I have a major phobia of being around infants. I'm not scared of the infant, but that I'll do something on accident to hurt it. I'm a bit absentminded and clumsy.

I freeze simply thinking about holding a baby.

If anyone put a baby near me, I don't know what would happen, I'd probably faint.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Spiders to a lesser extent. Not all of them, but the bigger, creepier ones. Or spiders en masse.

3. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Death, and anything that might cause it.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This made me pause and put down the wine bottle earlier:

[​IMG]

Against all rhyme and reason, I actually have a writing career. Just getting off the ground, but I do worry - fear - that I've already peaked. I want the fame and fortune of a popular writer.

I think almost having that would be worse than never getting close.

Better get to work.

5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I'm not sure that's irrational.

Also, you do most likely have Ebola.

6. Plotless

Plotless Professor

Alzheimer's, or anything similar.

I don't like the idea of dying - I doubt anyone does - but the idea of a disease being able to wipe my personality is so much worse than death to me.

My Great Aunt is 96 years old, and has been suffering from Alzheimer's for around ten years. She doesn't remember my name. She knows my father, so that's something, but having to remind the woman who bought me amazing Christmas presents every year that we once knew each other is so horribly depressing.

7. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's irrational in the extent to which I take it.

For example, I try to avoid travelling by car because I consider it too high a risk.

8. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

I'm rather phobic about getting banned from DLP, especially since I received a warning for shitposting last time XD

Half-jokes aside, I have a phobia of centipedes. I'm (somewhat) okay with spiders and cockroaches, but these fuckers creep the shit out of me. My phobia has gotten worse because I was bitten by one last summer, and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Kill them all with fire!

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mine's a bit esoteric, though somehow personally terrifying: that I accidentally slip up during a public talk and say something classified in an open venue (for some reason, always to an international audience).

I've had the variant of this dream countless times, which starts with the above and then devolves to some vague The Fugitive chase from authorities following a nebulous "lose your job, your house, your family," reveal. In the real world, I'm twisting the sheets in a 2 am cold sweat, my limbic system bitch-slapping my prefrontal cortex and overriding all logic, all sane judgment, REM-me in a mental funk of "It's over, man," the FBI pounding at the door, I'm contemplating biting the barrel, pulling the trigger, waking up, come on, wake the fuck up already!

And five minutes later, unable to sleep, I feel like a complete idiot.

10. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Seventh Year

Nearly all types of buzzing insects. I'm somewhat used to flies (even though they stress more than I'd like) but anything else makes me cringe.

It's especially bothersome in summer when I can't survive without opening the window and a wasp comes in. No matter what I'm doing, I tense and absolutely cannot concentrate on anything else until it goes out or I muster the courage of crushing it.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Alchemist

Heights, cripplingly so.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

Small flying insects. As soon as one mosquito starts buzzing around me I start getting paranoid about there being more of them, always thinking I'm getting bitten. I almost got a panic attack once because I was in a car and I could see the swarm of insects outside. I just bolted from that place even though I was suppose to work there.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If I have a phobia then I haven't met it yet.

There have been tons of things I've been scared of over the years.

Needles—manned the fuck up and just accepted they were necessary and a little pain was the least of my concerns.

Public speaking—Got over that one in year ten maybe? I learned to just wing shit half the time.

Rollercoasters/Amusement rides—As a kid they used to make me panic due to the forces involved e.g hurtling around a track, violently dropping at break next speeds etc.

There are other things that I would say that I have a healthy dose of respect for what they can do e.g snakes, spiders, mexican cartels.

I'm certain there are more, and no doubt there is something I'm afraid of that I'm consciously blocking myself from remembering.

14. Ankan

Ankan Groundskeeper

Getting lost in desolate places like a rainforest or some obscure island.

15. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Deep water - especially if i cant see to the bottom. I was afraid of it since I was a child, went to swimming section for 3 years, went to underwater swimming for 6 years, participated in swimming championships on international level in multiply countries, swan in the deep lakes, in the sea and nothing helped - I'm still fucking scared of it. Now I mostly don't bother swimming too far which is ridiculous as I'm usually the best swimmer in a company of friends and relatives. :(

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mmm. now that I think about it.

I'm deathly afraid of getting stuck somewhere and dying slowly overtime.

Like, in a storm water drain, just before it starts to rain.

Or... when I was in Europe I went to Mt Jungfrau in Switzerland and took this picture. That hole that you see there is a lot bigger than it looks and I was standing right on the edge of it. If that snow there hadn't held I would have probably fallen down and been the deadz.

That was pretty scary.

[​IMG]

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

I refuse to fly for the same reason, despite it being statistically safer. Like, we read about plane crashes what seems like ever week where everyone on board is killed. I don't want to ever have to experience the feeling of being in a plane crashing from 25k feet in the air and knowing that I'm SoL.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  18. Clerith

Clerith Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Things that make me the most uncomfortable are spiders and deep water. If I spot a spider, I can kill it, but if it's close and sudden, I probably jump back and curse. I like swimming, but fuck if I'm not terrified about being dragged under and eaten by some deep sea monster. I'm even paranoid about fish biting my toes, though logically that should never happen.

19. Vira

Vira Order Member

Spiders. I've had it since childhood, but it's gotten slightly better in that I can now catch a spider and put it outside when I see one.

Anything that can't fit inside a small glass can go fuck itself though.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heights. Or more specifically that I'll lose control of my body and for no God damned reason walk over the edge.