1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Time Done Again?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Blorcyn, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

1. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Order Member DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Here’s one for you:

If you had your time again, and couldn’t walk the same path twice, what one choice would you make differently?

This can be as personal as you want it to be of course, though I’m not asking you to give up your deepest, darkest secret to be clear.

Most of us have jobs now, and I sometimes find myself wondering what I would be doing if I’d chosen something non-health related, or, as of today (thanks @amek ) where I’d be if I’d paid attention during maths at school.

For the high school kids, if you had to choose your school again, or had a choice on it or moving, where would you have gone, or stayed? What AP or A-levels would you choose differently?

For college students and post-grads, would you have avoided further study, or if you could’ve chosen something different altogether, what would it have been?

For all us working folk, what job would you do if you had to choose again, is there anything you really wish you had done looking back, or stuff you almost found yourself in if not for that one particular thing?

Go nuts.

——-

I think, personally, I’d have tried something humanities, nowadays. I had no idea what else I could do when I was rejected, my first time at trying to get into uni, so I just tried again with a bit more nous. Looking back, if I hadn’t done that I’d have pursued something like journalism or publishing.

I think my particular quirks would suit editing and dense book reading, if I’d gone down that path. But then, it’s probably a tougher field to find work in than I am in now, so who knows.

Still, I think it’d have been a decent ride, and a much quicker one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:36 PM
  2. Paladin

Paladin Fifth Year

High Score:
    Not piss about in high school so I get all that sweet, sweet academic financial aid money. Not piss about my first few years of college and do better at math so I'm doing something making real money, like compsci or finance.

3. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Honestly, I can't think of a single major choice I'd have done differently. Maybe I'd put more effort into high school in an attempt to get into my #1 uni instead of #2, but that's about the only thing I can think of. I don't really have any major regrets, and I love my job, so barring some weird chaos theory shit, I'd do my best to end up right back where I am now, if I had to start over again.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kinda same as Agayek. It's not that I would really do anything different, it's more that I would do what I did better.

5. Silirt

Silirt Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I think my career path is just about perfect for me, though I suppose I could have been where I am two months ago, had I known a bit better. Really I just wish I told this girl I slept with to break up with her boyfriend as soon as I found out there was one, and she was cheating on him. It's not really because I wish I could have stayed with her, she's basically the prettiest bullet I ever dodged, but because I kind of ruined his life by telling her to just go back to him after she graduated. I wrecked a home in my first year of college(I was 19, if your school system works differently.) and that was about the biggest regret I have from the four years I spent there.

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

God, I would do everything differently.

I was (and still am sometimes) paralyzed by the fear of failure and the idea of people not liking me. This lead me to miss out on so many opportunities because I would rather avoid the risk of failure by doing nothing at all.

I wish I got my mom to apply to re-instate her Swiss Citizenship before the law changed, so I could have become a Swiss Citizen and attended university in Europe. I could have been a legal European Citizen and had an easy time immigrating over.

I wish I took my language and math classes more seriously and went in for help when I was struggling. This, in turn, could've opened so many doors.

I'm currently in an awful place. It's finally dawning on me that my choice of University, even though it was great and saved me from debt, really screwed me with my degree of Computer Science. I'm stuck in this middle of the road place where I only have the knowledge of a 3rd-year university student, with a degree... unable to get internships to improve, join any programming camps and most of all, unable to get into a Masters program as I don't have the pre-req. My school had just opened up it's CS program when I joined and had lacklustre requirements for graduation. And being a stupid young person, I took the classes I was most interested in/easiest instead of the ones that would help me in the future. It's awful to realize that the subject you like... you kinda suck at.

Lastly, I loath the culture in the states that internships are only for students, and apprenticeships don't exist like they do in Europe. Of course, no company is going to sponsor a visa for an apprenticeship. It sucks because I am horrid at learning algorithms or programming on my own. It's far too big of a field.

Needless to say. I would do almost everything different in my 20s. I feel like I've wasted years of my life and have not accomplished most of the goals that I had planned for.

And as awful as this sounds, if I would go back in time, I don't know if I would begin the relationship with my boyfriend. I love him dearly, but he is a major obstacle in accomplishing my goals. I have sacrificed so much for him and looking back from where I am now, it may have been far too much. This could just be the depression and utter terrifying fear of the future.

I keep extending my travels as a way to put my head in the sand as I don't even want to begin job applying again. I get anxious and terrified just thinking about it!

Thus, I've been fantasizing about this question quite a bit. I would absolutely take the chance to go back in time. Anything to not have to face the future.

Well... that went darker and deeper than I intended.

7. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

I honestly have thoughts of what my life would be like if I'd never gotten back with my wife, what I'd be like now. I assume dead.

Bit of context. Me and my wife dated off and on during HS. We broke up, met at a house party, I knocked her up and couple weeks later we're having to make choices on how to go forward in life. Its almost unfathomable. Having kids and living the life I've lived isn't ever what I expected growing up.

I came from dirt and expected to continue to be dirt.

8. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

God, there is so much I'd change. Lots of poor choices have left me with relatively little choice now.

One big change is I'd have tried a lot harder to maintain my fitness level I had in my early teens. It's a lot harder to get back into shape after being diagnosed with MS (not supposed to over-exert myself apparently).

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Like many others I would...

1. Put more effort into some things I chose to do.

2. Do a few things I considered doing didn’t because effort.

The only big change I’d make is to actively date in college instead of waiting around for it to happen (it gets harder to meet people once you’re done with school).

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is an interesting one, because I really like where my life is now and the direction its heading in. I'm genuinely satisfied. Its not been a particularly easy or enjoyable path to get here, but I can't see how I would have ended up here if I changed much of anything about how I approached my earlier life. For years I wished that I'd studied law at uni instead of politics. I'd probably make a passably decent solicitor, or maybe even have gone down the route of being a advocate. I'd even have probably enjoyed studying law. But I would have taken a totally different path in life, I wouldn't have the same amazing friends, the awesome work life balance, or probably genuine satisfaction that the work I do makes a difference.

As a point of pride, I wish I'd worked harder during school and got better results. And that during uni I'd put a bit more effort in. I was just shy of getting a 1st class degree as it is, with some effort I'd probably have gotten a really good result. I'm not dissatisfied with my 2:1, but...it'd be nice to a have a first.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

I wouldn't have drank and snorted pain pills'd myself out of college, probably.

12. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

Lost within a thousand worlds of written wit.
    High Score:
    1,864+2628
    Slept properly as a kid and teenager.
    Focused more into my education.
    Applied my efforts with writing more diligently.
    Cut out toxic people sooner.

I'd be in a much happier place(or at least, in a different state of miserable) than I am now if I'd done a lot of things differently.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TBH, I wouldn't have started playing WoW.

It awakened a severe MMO addiction in my late teens and early twenties, utterly destroying my social life.

I feel like my 4 year battle with clinical depression wouldn't have been so fucking awful had I retained an active network of real friendships to help me through it.

14. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

A lot of things, but the simplest is that I wish I kept up with piano. My parents dragged me to classes for nearly 10 years and while I was pretty good, I hated it. I practiced the bare minimum and strictly played only the pieces my teacher assigned for me. After I quit, I didn't even look at the piano for years. Recently I figured I'd try my hand at it again, and I've totally forgotten everything. I was confounded at how to use two hands at the same time to play. While I don't necessarily wish I tried harder when I was younger, I do wish I hadn't tossed thousands of hours of practice down the drain.

15. Salsa

Salsa Groundskeeper

I would make sure to keep hanging out with my friend, who I basically cut off for an 8-month period (my parents, sister and I, moved to an apartment miles away from my friend's neighborhood). I could have taken a few minutes of bus riding to hang out, or even walked there, but for some reason... I didn't.

I became addicted to electronics (still am, trying to get off it and spend more time with people) all because I couldn't be effed to walk a little to spend time with my friend. Outside of family, he was the sort of person you could trust, but because of my laziness that's gone now.

Since it's led to a degree of social anxiety for me, and a (fading) cynicism when it comes to interacting with people, I wouldn't have burned that bridge by laziness.

Even though I've tried reconnecting, he's made other friends and isn't interested any more.
    --
    I agree with Selethe. Looking back, I wish I'd never even thought of quitting piano lessons.

16. Nazgus

Nazgus Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

Most I'd say is I wish I hadn't dropped swimming in 8th grade, and dated more in college. Was honestly drowning in work for most of the past four years though, so I don't feel too bad about it.

17. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you exclude the possibility of randomly coming into a large sum of money (e.g. because you know the future lottery numbers) I'd probably still want to be a lawyer. It's well paid, intellectually stimulating, but unlike, say, academia, it's very pragmatic in focus. You can usually see immediately how your work has added value for your client. There's also a significant element of the job which is people/team focused. On top of that, it's unlikely to be automated any time soon, job security is generally pretty high, and lawyers are generally pretty well respected in society.

Really, the only downside is the hours.

So yeah, I'd still want to be a lawyer. But I'd definitely take a different route getting here. I'd work harder in school, and try to consistently focus on a few hobbies to advance them to a good level.

Ages 0 - 14: Focus on the fundamentals.

School: focus on (1) mathematics (2) reading the classics and (3) languages (French, Spanish and German, all of which I had opportunities to learn).

Music: don't reject my parents' offer of piano classes at age 7, practice an hour a day. Once at secondary school, also take singing classes/join the choir.

Sport: ask for swimming classes as a birthday gift, get good at it and go regularly. Reasoning: swimming is probably the single sport which delivers the most "all round" work out.

Writing: write short stories.

GCSEs

Pick: English Literature, English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Spanish, Latin, History.

Also maintain German. Get to grade 8 in piano.

Join the CCF at school and take advantage of all the adventurous activities on offer.

Writing: start writing HP fanfic. Try to establish tropes early on in the fandom which other people will copy, thereby shifting the common tropes of the HP fandom in a more interesting direction.

A-Levels

Pick: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, French

Maintain Spanish/German. Advance piano to diploma level.

Continue writing fanfic.

Start doing some weight training as well as swimming.

University

Apply to read physics/natural science at Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester.

At university also participate in 3 activities: university newspaper (to demonstrate writing skills, as I will be doing a science degree); choir; swimming.

Maintain languages. Continue writing fanfic. Organise hikes with friends during holidays.

Post-University

Gap year teaching English in South America (Argentina or Colombia). Not only fun, but also something on the CV which helps you stand out when applying to law firms.

Start writing original fiction.

Return to the UK and study the Graduate Diploma in Law and then the BCL at Oxford (master's level). Apply to litigation-focused law firms with HSF as no. 1 target. Focus on intellectual property disputes/fintech where mathematical/technical background will be of great assistance.

End result: a highly numerate, multi-lingual, physically fit lawyer with a couple of interesting hobbies and who makes bank. Quit law in, say, 10-15 years for writing full-time.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

When reading @Taure I was getting a really strong “American psycho” vibe. The fastidious planning and attention to detail he gives in his monologues.

19. Niez

Niez Third Year

I think if I tried to have done half of what you suggest @Taure, I would have ended up jumping off a bridge, or becoming a classically liberal philosopher. That being said, I would have probably chosen a different subject to major on, had I been who I am today. You never know though, things could always be worse :).

(Btw @Selethe, I don't think those hours of practise are ever truly lost. If you were to re-learn the piano, for instance, it would take you far less time to get your desired level than someone who had never played. I understand this might not be the same situation, but I've been slowly teaching myself the piano, and even after a solid decade of not touching the oboe I am still miles better at that than I am at playing anything with a keyboard.)

20. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Despite all the ups and downs I'm quite happy where I am and with the friends I've made along the way. If changing my earlier life would result in not meeting them, then I'd not do it.

For the sake of argument though, I'd probably start exercising/lifting/team sports - things that keep you fit in general - during my years of highschool. The mental and aesthetic benefits could have been really helpful. I've course corrected these past two years and am blown away that I didn't start sooner. It's fun, it's healthy, and after a while of dedication you notice nice improvements.

Also might have started writing earlier.