1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Time Done Again?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Blorcyn, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

Professionally and personally, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. In contrast to some I'd probably focus more on social and sport aspects. I'd try out a few things differently than I did, but if I was stuck with that life, I'd try not to rock the boat too much.

Money making schemes like sports betting and Bitcoin notwithstanding.

2. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, a IRL Time Travel Fic.

Most people I know would probably think that I'd choose not to drop out of Uni. Some others might say I'd choose not to go to Uni in the first place. They're both wrong; I'd choose to still go and still drop out.

I had a fair few friends in Secondary school but they were all friends that I'd made when I was young. I was extremely quiet and anti-social when it came to people I wasn't friends with. After I left Uni, I started working in Retail with a large group of people. That's kind of where I honed most of my social skills since it was necessary for the job and to be accepted as part of the group.

The reason I'd still go Uni? I wouldn't want to live my life wondering what would have happened if I'd gone to Uni, never realizing that dropping out was a boon for me.

The thing I'd change? Probably not breaking up with my girlfriend in school for fear of my Muslim parent's reaction. She's the only one that was ever a friend first and girlfriend second.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Honestly, a lot went wrong after I decided to try for med school. That decision influenced my choice of advanced classes in high school and had a lot of other ripple effects. Four years out of my early 20s went down the drain.

If I could Peggy Sue my mind back a decade, I'd steer towards the idea of teaching English right away. And probably would have started writing earlier.

4. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

I like the premise of this thread, that you can't take the same path again. I think a lot of responses have missed that - it's not about regret, or agonising over where we're are now, but looking at how things could be different.

I've been fascinated by Peggy Sue's for years. It's an easy fantasy with so much possibility. The best and worst of escapism. But I feel it's a lot healthier as you've laid out, as an alternative, than as a "I wish I'd done X".

Anyway, turning to the question. If I did it again, I'd go to a different university (Wellington), choose different degrees (statistics, computer science and/or sciences), work on being more active, outgoing, and sociable. I'd be a different person - I'd probably have lost my faith, and who knows where my head would be at. I might well be happier. I think I could have done so much more from a different place - but I wouldn't want to lose where I'm at here - my friends, my girlfriend, where I'm at with my family.