1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Yudkowsky drops his mask

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by NoxedSalvation, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure that the MoR thread was heading for death anyway, since we were spending about 95% of the time commenting on his author's comments and 5% on the story itself. (It was an even worse signal-to-noise than The Santi's story thread is now or Miranda Flairgold's or Oblong/Fettucini/SerpentSannin/MrJoe's story threads back in their day).

For me, one of the most entertaining moments on DLP during the last few years was when the author came on and trolled the DLP thread about his story and the response was, effectively, "Meh," and everyone essentially ignored him and went back to what we were talking about.

2. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Everyone on DLP knows that I like MoR: I think it's a well written account of a smart!Harry. Still, this does seem like a bit of a dick move. He's not really threatening to not update - he's just saying he'll update faster - but this type of thing gives fanfiction a bad name. Personally, I think there's a big chance of MoR getting taken down over this, and I really don't see the need for it.

Here's to hoping everything turns out okay.

3. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Personally, I hope that this is taken care of strictly within FF.net... I'd rather not set the precedent of a production company going after a fanfiction writer.

Something like them demanding that all works based on their copyrighted assets be taken down would suck... mind you this is an extreme case, but you never know where things might lead if you tickle the dragon.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's an extreme case, but it'd be easy as shit to execute. Any author, at any time, just has to say the word "No" and ff.net will pull it. Done.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

I'd much rather see Yudkowsky see sense and remove his request himself before anything that upsets a lot of people happens like having his story taken down. The more attention this matter gets the worse the situation becomes - no one wants to see fanfiction get a worse reputation than the one it is already struggling to throw off, and this guy's story has significant popularity to accomplish that if things go sour.

6. Rym

Rym Auror

Yet another thread devoted to Yudkowsky on DLP.

Le sigh.

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The best part is that if he doesn't keep his word, and the chapters are even a day late, everyone can sue him, even those who didn't donate, because of the contract which he created. Hooray.

8. Rubicon

Rubicon Professor DLP Supporter

I'd like to point out that OP only quoted part of the A/N. The real WTF moment is:

...really.

9. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

@Rubicon I thought this was for free- and the link he posted on his author page is dead anyway.

10. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'd assume that he'd need a highschool diploma/a bachelor's degree to go to grad school.

However, as you're the one with the PhD, I'm inclined to assume that you probably know better than I do about this topic.

On Topic: Christ, why do we need another topic about Yudkowsky on DLP? He's a shitty author with a needlessly apocalyptic view of any Singularity that he's not behind the wheel of. I appreciate all the publicity he's brought to transhumanism but does he really deserve any more attention?

11. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

No dice. If it's true that MoR has already made $60,000 in "donations" for this Singularity bit then simply removing the request won't do anything. People have already paid for the service. And if Rowling's lawyers are true to form, this is the kind of thing they come down on hard.

In fact, with Pottermore releasing soon, I don't think Yud's-his-face could have picked a worse time to pull a stunt like this from a fanfiction perspective. Coming down hard on fanfiction and other H.P. related sites would leave Pottermore essentially alone as an online source for H.P. related escapism and world-building.

12. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

That idea is terrifying in its own regard. You mean to tell me that we'll have no salvation from the cringe-worthy
    Slytherin!Merlin
    and other horrible canon add-ons Rowling comes up with?

I genuinely hope that they don't use this as an excuse (as if they'd need one, in a legal sense) to do anything other than censor Yudkowsky and pull his fanfic. Let's hope that someone doesn't come up with the brilliant idea that this is the rationale for declaring war on all fanfiction. I agree that it seems unlikely, but companies can be notoriously overreactive about that sort of thing and I wouldn't be shocked--though I would be surprised--if the wrath of WB or Rowling did more damage than just to Yud's account.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

I've seen a story with MP3 commentary, so why not?

If I had the talent, I'd draw or animate my stories. I think any author would, given the time and talent.

14. Rubicon

@Warlocke: Meant the android app. I just found it crazy / amusing that someone took the time to develop one just for MoR. :p

OT:

I would think there's a clear difference between making money from fanfic, like selling printed copies, and saying, "I'm posting this one way or the other but you'll get it sooner if you donate to XYZ charity that I work for." (Actually, he doesn't even phrase it like that -- he avoids explicitly asking for donations from his readers.)

At the very least, the already ambiguous legal situation of fanfic is even less clear in this situation.

And, part of me wonders whether Yudkowsky might actually appreciate the attention that a lawsuit from Rowling would bring the Singularity Institute and his friendly AI research.

15. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

What exactly is so wrong about us taking the time to bash LessWrong?

What is so bad about retaliating after he talked shit about DLP?

Now Silens is accepting blame for starting the bash fest in the MoR thread. What the fuck is up with that? Yudkowsky, the little pretentious shit he is, deserves to be verbally attacked. The MoR thread was one of the best DLP threads for the fact that we showed the fanfiction community who is BOSS. Sure a bunch of 14 year old fangirls might dislike us and talk shit about us. Well isn't that part of what DLP is about? It used to bring us great joy to know that we're so hated by the morons of the HP community.

What's with these pacifist views that are being propagated by GL?

It's fun to bash deserving LessWrong-like noobs on DLP.

16. Portus

Portus Heir

What stories, motherfucker? As funny as you are in other people's threads, I think you could make some lulzy crack!fics, if only you'd buckle down.

And fuck you for making me post in this godforsaken thread. I haven't read the first word of this story and have no plans to, so I couldn't care less except that it's generated three pages of posts in the first day, for what's apparently a shit story by a rank amateur, and a dick one at that.

17. Rubicon

I feel like that horse is pretty dead, dude. After the zillionth page it starts seeming like an obsession, rather than a righteous stand against bad fanfic.

18. Luckylee

Luckylee Top 1 Percent Prestige

High Score:
    Well I just went to look at the note and he has already took it down.

19. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's still there for me. Europe server may be taking time to update. But I have a screenshot anyway XD

Regarding what is being discussed ITT:

1. I think people who think that the whole HP section of FF.Net would be taken down for this are paranoid. HP copyright holders have enforced their copyright on multiple occasions. On none of those occasions did they decide to take out all fanfic. I don't see why they would this time.

2. Even if it was a significant risk, it's still moral cowardice to back out of condemning something you think is wrong (profiteering from fanfic) out of fear that the reprisals may affect you.

(Also, even if FF.Net were taken down, DLP would go on. Most of our content is internally generated these days, and we have PC as a perfectly capable archive site).

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

1. They'd take it down for the same reason we're shitting on this kid - he's trying to get money in exchange for chapters in a 'verse he doesnt own.

2. Yuck Wang* is still a fuckface, but GL rightly pointed out that this should only look like exactly what it is (TOS violation) as opposed to DLP slinging shit at an author they don't like. Ideally this thread would disappear, but I don't need to let a thread know that I filed my complaint to ff.net to distance myself from any apparent cowardice on my part.

*Autocorrect on the phone changed the author's name to "Yuck Wang." Fiiiiine by me XD