1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Yudkowsky drops his mask

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by NoxedSalvation, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Know how I know you're gay?

At some time in the past you have written "yuck wang" on your phone.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Know how I know you're gay?

"Yuck Wang" means something to you (as opposed to assuming I've simply typed "yuck" and "Wang" on separate occasions) - and that something has gay connotations.

3. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Yuck, wang!"

As in, "Oh no, Joe, your wang is yucky!"

:p

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I'll send ff.net a report after dinner.

Also, wouldn't it be better to contact Rowling (the person who has final say in what can and can't be written concerning her works) instead of WB (who's lookin' for someone to rape)? If WB does get contacted extensively, chances are they'd go after the community as a whole, regardless of if they have already tried or planned to in the future. A single email from Rowling would get the story pulled, his account banned, and he'd probably feel even worse than shit for getting smacked down by the original author.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

5. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Hold your horses, and please listen to Grinning Lizard. I dislike MoR for its rather ridiculous interpretation of Harry, but I really don't think succumbing to vehemence is the best option. Violent reports/PMs won't solve anything, since the ff.net admins probably want to wipe their hands clean of any shitstorms. Alerting WB is only worse. I do not want a repeat of Anne Rice.

Think about this rationally (xD) and restrain yourself. I repeat: we don't want another Anne Rice, or a variant thereof. The best option atm seems to be sending carefully worded reports to ff.net, not reviews. We can proceed from there.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not unheard of for people with nontraditional schooling to matriculate into graduate school without a high school diploma and/or baccalaureate degree. When I was in physics grad school, I was good friends with two people who had a similar background, both wunderkinds who didn't fit the traditional scholastic mold. Stephen Wolfram (MacArthur Award winner, inventor of the Mathematica software, and Professor of Physics at Caltech at the ripe old age of 20) is perhaps the most famous example in recent years. He and my thesis advisor were classmates at Oxford before Wolfram bailed sans Baccalaureate to enter the graduate program in particle physics at Caltech.

Yudkowsky is no Wolfram (who is?) but he wouldn't exactly be forging new ground were he to go straight to grad school. While I might find him a distasteful personality and while I might doubt that he's anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is*, I won't deny that Yudkowsky is brilliant nonetheless and fully capable of graduate study.

* Something I might suffer from as well.

7. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

You can read virtually every other post I've ever made to understand how little I'm a pacifist. And I think you missed the 'think about more than yourself' part of everything I have posted thus far in this thread.

Bash him all you like. This is somewhat a seperate issue.

8. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Copy pasted directly from his profile:

Jesusmotherfukkinchrist, he's like a self-opening pinata.

I am honestly at a loss for words. Crazy comes to mind. Deluded and narcissistic also pop up. But somehow I don't think they quite describe the level of bugfuck-insane Fantasyville this guy lives in. It's like he skews everything in his mind so that he's cast as the victim.

Never read his story, have no inclination to read his story, and I certainly want nothing to do with MoR after reading this.

Edit for Sesc: :p

Edit 2: If this is his version of rationality, I'd wager his grasp of the real world is tenuous at best. That's not exactly a glowing recommendation of his own work.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

LessWrong felt he needed to review his own story.

There are six mentions of DLP or Dark Lord Potter within the four paragraphs. Thanks awfully for the advertisement. And now I'll report the story for no other reason than that this is one of the more funny things we've done lately.

Edit: Swim, you ninja :D

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that's hilarious. Anybody who cares to come over here and look will see that he's misinterpreting at best and outright lying at worst; we're hardly conducting a smear campaign and his institute is not a "charity".

And oh yes, DLP is apparently the root of all evil - seriously, "concern trolling"? What a retarded accusation. Why would we want to bother with bad fics in the first place? That's just beyond stupid.

11. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I don't no how he can sit on his high horse and talk about how were bad mouthing him for helping a charity, I mean its not like its trying to cure cancer its a bunch of nerds sitting around talking about how cool it would be if we had AI.

12. T3t

High Score:
    Is it really a charity? I thought it was just a non-profit, and one is not the other.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The funny thing is that LessWrong couldn't be More Wrong. The TOS of FF.net clearly states that

I don't see how that leaves any wiggle room at all for what he does.

14. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Supreme Mugwump

Ahem.

In any case, I just don't see how bashing him helps anyone: clearly, he's the kind of person who believes any attention is good attention. Thus, the only way to really do anything to him is to ignore him: let the voices of superiority in his head keep him company.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  15. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I think it might be able to get away with being called a charity because it gives away grant money.

16. T3t

High Score:
    There are legal definitions for a charity, and even if it is (which I doubt) I'm not sure it gives him license to do this anyways.

17. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think that the entire internet is helped by the removal of his stupid ass and anything he's touched from the history books.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

...I actually feel sort of sorry for him.

He must have some serious mental health issues if he has a superiority complex that large.

19. Fatality

Fatality Unspeakable

This. I couldn't just pirate a few thousand copies of a movie and start selling under the excuse that it was for a Charity.

And what he is doing is easily defined as a service. He is writing more and faster for money. I don't think there should be any debate about whether this is illegal or not.

As to why FF.net is allowed to post ads, does anyone know why? I'd assume it's because they're technically not making money from other people's copyrights, just from people visiting their site. I wouldn't say I know a lot about copyright law though - does anyone know for sure?

20. T3t

High Score:
    FFN posting ads is pretty iffy, I'm pretty sure they're allowed to make enough to cover their costs for hosting etc, but not to actually profit beyond that. I'm not an expert on IP law though so...