1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary Zombie's Cookbook

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Zombie, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Threadmarks: Fritto Misto (Italian Tempura) Starter
    Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, had the idea for a cookbook curated by DLP. Where I give the recipe and you guys cook the food. If you post your results, I'll update the internal images of the document with your outcome. We get enough of them and we can make a DLP Cookbook. Sounds fun, right?

upload_2018-11-13_13-30-7.png

Notes:

This recipe is great for starters. Its quick, its light. Its basically Italian tempura, with a fast prep time there’s no reason to not make it fresh.

Some Tips would be:
    • Don’t overheat the oil.
    • Don’t cook it for too long, Golden brown is what we’re looking for.
    • My twist? Add paprika to the dry mix for the tempura batter for flavor and color.
    • Don’t overwhisk the club soda because you’ll knock all the bubbles out.
    • You can use any kind of veg for this, honestly, but Fennel is a big thing in Italian food.
    • Shrimp heads can be left on, but they're not required. The images usually keep them for presentation, but its just something you pull off when you go to eat them.
    • Don't forget to suck on the heads (thats what she said). Lots of flavor.
    • For fast prep on large shrimp(prawns) use scissors to cut the feet off. You can do this shells on, shells off. Shells off if you want a breaded shrimp bite.
    • Fun Fact: You can eat the shells, but you need to devein. Shit tastes like shit, no matter the species.
    • Plate loose. Possibly on paper to absorb the oil. Don't use newspaper that's full of carcinogens.
    • Since I'm too lazy to update the image again, when you put the ingredients into the batter. Put everything but the lemon.
    • Yes, the herbs are fried.
    • PROTIP: THE LEMON IS THE ONLY THING NOT FRIED. CUT ALL VEG THINLY TO FOR EVEN COOKING TIME.
    I'm going to go back and revisit the recipe page, so if you have suggestions on how to make it more legible, let me know. @TheWiseTomato raised a valid point in that not everyone approaches cooking the way I do, so I'll try to make this as idiot proof as possible.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Looks pretty good. I'll give it a crack this weekend.

When step 4 says 'Take all ingredients...' I assume lemon is excluded from that, having a place in a later step.

3. Threadmarks: Italian Breakfast Bake
    Zombie

High Score:
    upload_2018-11-21_10-56-39.png

Not a lot to say on this one this time around. Lemme know if something doesn't make sense.
    I think what I'm going to do is a mixture of traditional and american italian recipes. This falls firmly into the american italian.
    Lemme know if there are visibility issues. I'm making this in gdoc and then just cutting it, because I can't think of a better way to display it. Hence the epub upload. As always, if you cook it, snap a pic of it and I'll put it in as the placeholder. you'll notice I didn't include any this time around. Mostly because I couldn't find one on google or anywhere that looked good. Sorry.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Shakshuka in Italian? Sounds awesome.

5. Zombie

High Score:
    Ye, pretty much. Tasty af though. Think Shakshuka is spicier than this too. This is pretty mild, you could make it spicy, but don't know why anyone would want to burn out their asshole before 12am.

6. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    I used to do something similar but with mini bacon wrapped pork sausages, potatoes, mushrooms and greens. Shakshuka has garlic, chilis and cumin too, I believe.

I'll try your recipe soon and post results. From what I gather, Italian sausage is an American thing, and I doubt I'll find any around here. I did spot an Italian deli tho, and they have "Sopressa with fennel" – would that be a good substitute?

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    @Zombie, Unfamiliar with broiling (specifically bread). Do you have any suggested how to guides for that?

8. Zombie

High Score:
    Any ground sausage will do. Sopressa isn't ground, to my knowledge.

Most ovens use the top element for "broiling."

Slice the bread, lay it out on a oven sheet pan, spread butter on it, if you want to and powdered garlic to make some garlic bread. Put it on the top rack of your oven, and set the broiler on. Basically, what the broil function does is put your oven to its max temp on its top element. Directional heating, I guess. Only do it for like a minute. And then check, cause it will go from toasted to burnt in seconds.

I use the broiler for doing bread because its easier than using a toaster. Set it and forget it, but only for a minute. Makes things so much easier when you're prepping 10 to 12 slices of bread.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

If you're sketchy about using a broiler for bread - he's not kidding about how fast it goes from tasty to carbon - throwing it in at 425(210ish C?) for 5-6min is just as good for me. Plus, instead of powdered garlic, I like to take a garlic clove and rub it on the toasted bread. Wicked breath after, but it's so much better for my taste.

10. Zombie

High Score:
    I didn't suggest it but it is valid. My preferred way is toast first, and then rub the garlic clove afterwards. Garlic powder is because it works just as well. Honestly, I like garlic powder for most things because its quick and if you make it fresh it works well.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    I'm honestly a fan of onion powder/garlic powder for most things. Not a fan of the texture of onions or garlic but the flavor they add is good.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    With rubbing the garlic on its not about the texture, you get the oil from the garlic, which is why its more powerful.

13. Threadmarks: Pasta Arrabiata
    Zombie

High Score:
    upload_2018-11-21_11-51-29.png
    Used some google images this time because I didn't like the black boxes the last time. Same as before, if you make it, your images go into the sheet. No epub this time, sorry. Don't have time to make one. Just figured I'd make something. @CareOtters Thanks for the request, I'll work my way through them all eventually.

Something I didn't include in this recipe. You can add any kind of meat that you want to this. Chicken is good, most cuts of beef. Ground chuck especially. Try and go as lean as possible. You've already got plenty of fat already.

Try it out, lemme know if you like it. Its one of my favorites. Simple and quick.

I misspelled the shit out of everything because I made this in a rush. I'll fix later.

14. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    @Zombie

Couldn't be arsed to bike to the deli to get ground sausage. So, I tried arrabbiata...but kinda bastardised it. Had some anchovies, so I threw those in. Didn't have any parmesan, but had an aged, hard Dutch cheese. Also used dried piri piri chillis, cos I had these anyway. I'm rubbish at taking pictures, but here ya go.

Tasted pretty nice. Think I should've added some more pasta water to it, cos the cheese hadn't really blended into the sauce.

edit:

The San Marzano tomatoes are a game changer. I'd never found them at the shops before, but had tried other tomatoes from that brand and they were by far the best I'd had at the time. Chancing upon these was pretty dope. I only use fresh tomatoes for salads, and even then they're usually cherry tomatoes. And I used buccatini and sliced the garlic cos I didn't have any onions, lol.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

15. Zombie

High Score:
    Nice man way to improvise.

16. Zombie

High Score:
    upload_2018-11-21_9-44-31.png
    So, something about this recipe. There isn't much derivation on this. The recipe is decidedly simple, and really boils down to your skill in handling the ingredients. I'd suggest that you work quickly. If you spend more than 30 minutes making this, you've taken too long. There is an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown cooks this recipie and the notes I made on it is are closely modeled after his process.

I lied before when I said the pasta al'arabiata was my favorite. This is my favorite. I eat this for breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Also. Don't use anglehair pasta in this. Use standard spaghetti. Other spaghetti like pasta will work for this this, if you're in a bind, but its going to affect the outcome of your sauce because the thicker the noodle the longer the cook time, the more water you have to use, etc.

17. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

looks delicious though how newbie friendly it is?

18. Threadmarks: Blueberry Pie
    Zombie

High Score:
    upload_2018-11-21_10-24-7.png
    Sorry, @Darth_Revan I didn't have a recipe for Cherry pie. I did have one for Blueberry. Hope you like Blueberry.

Made a two-for on the recipes this week because I forgot to do one yesterday, and I've been slacking. Might come out with some more later.

@unorfind Cacio e Pepe is for all skill levels. Its a recipe that evolves as you become more familiar with making it.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    @Zombie you’re gonna make me fat trying all these recipes. Thank you.

Have pictures of the arrabiata I made but on mobile. Will post later.

20. Threadmarks: Slow Cooker Lasagna
    Zombie

High Score:
    upload_2018-11-27_16-31-40.png
    Edit: Forgot to include what to do with the cheese. When its turned off, pour cheese on top and spread in an even layer, lid it back up and let the radiant heat melt it. No need to do it while cooking it.

Note on this: This is gonna be greasy. I saw a neat trick with Alton Brown the other day where he used a pan lid pressed down on top of this to drain the grease from it. There's a video he has I'm sure you can find where he demonstrates how to do this. You press down on the cooked food with the lid and the grease catches in the lid. I think he used a sauce pot lid, which has a recessed lip, which is great for catching the grease. Press gently, but firmly. Otherwise you're just gonna turn everything into mush.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like doing that, I guess you can precook the the sausage and drain the grease before layering it in and reducing your cook time by about 2 hours.

I did this recipe because I know there are a lot of people on the go, and most crocks have an off setting after a certain cook time. This will only get better the longer it sets. You're wanting slice-a-bility, almost like a pie, because well, that's what Lasagna is. So you can set this up in the morning before work, or on lunch if you have the time to get home and just walk away from it and have it done.

Its also great if you want to make it, and then you got shit to do around the house, but don't want to be in the kitchen the whole time.

The recipe is strikingly similar to this. I think his doesn't include the red pepper flake, and he uses some kind of sage in his where I just use either fresh ground spices or italian blend from the supermarket works just as good. You're gonna want to remove as much grease as possible because contrary to most lasagna recipes, you're cooking everything in the slow cooker.

I adapted this recipe from an excerpt from America's Test Kitchen. I really like their magazines and their recipes, especially for "traditionally" southern food.