1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Finally finished running through the forum for 'lost' fics..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bornagainpenguin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Well everyone,

It may have taken me two days but I finally finshed downloading every fic that we discussed in the Libarary section of this board. There are a few that I'm waiting on from the HPRecycleBin, but for the most part I managed to get everything and I must say I'm not surprised at the result, but I'm still quite disgusted by it nevertheless. Out of all the categories here, the only part of the Library that didn't lose anything (AFAIK what with Midnight talking about deleting dead-threads) was the 'General' folder.

So for those of us who have been saying that someone over at FF.net is going after the 'darker' stories, you can now consider yourself vindicated.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Uncompressed we have an folder with 197 MB of fics in it...but using WinRAR I managed to shave that down to a mere 31.2 MB, which I have uploaded to rapidshare.de here:
    [ http://rapidshare.de/files/12227528/Dark_Lord_Potter_Reccommends_Archive_01-31-06.rar.html ]

It contains several of the deleted fics that I either had in my own collection or that were obtained at the HPRecycleBin.

PPS: Aww drat! With the reduced templates there's no way to know who wrote what without being able to find a copy of the story in question! And some of the names writes use for themselves or their stories are impossible! Here's to more work! :(

2. bornagainpenguin

Re: Finally finished running through the forum for 'lost' fi

:wall: Awwww screw it! I somehow totally missed the Crossovers folder!

If anyone wants to wait on that download I'll add the crossovers as soon as I can get them. I've been up all night though now and I gotta get something to eat! I'll see ya back again later guys...

--bornagainpenguin

3. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

I do believe i shall hug you

A manly, one armed, back patting sort of hug

With a knife in my hand.....

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't removed anything yet, specifically for a reason.

Good compression as well Iusing powerarchiver and .7z I couldn't get it much lower then 25 megs

5. bornagainpenguin

[bornagainpenguin hugs Blackstar back]

[smirks as Blackstar collapses to the ground smoking]

It gets them every time!

[hides the 775,000 Volts Stun Master back in his pocket]

Ahh...this! I've been looking for one of these!

[takes Blackstar's knife and walks away]

--bornagainpenguin

6. bornagainpenguin

Ahh... okay then, thank you. I'll do my best to hurry then.

Personally I find that either 7zip is insanely over-rated or people who get the kinds of ompression rates that make my jaws unhinge are spending an insane amount of time on the program working to achieve those kinds of ratios. I can't decide which at this point.

The fact that I'm quite familiar with WinRAR at this time and that I spent several weeks at the beginning of last year converting all my archives from using WinRAR executibles and don't quite feel like going through all that again has nothing to do with it. Nor does the fact that I spent entirely too much time some two and a half years ago recovering from a fit of insanity that led me to start saving everything in Microsoft's compressed HTML format (MHTML) ... only to discover that while Mozilla Suite had no issues with MHTML once the proper mimetypes were configured, Mozilla Pheonix nee Mozilla Firebird nee Moziila Firefox all had issues with it. And the fact the developers had no interest in supporting that file format...well doesn't that make you feel just lovely? Basically I'm currently happy with my choice of compression and am NOT about to move to anything else in the near future.... especially now that I have easily three or four times the ammount to go through-- and occasionally I still find MHTML files I missed on the first two comb throughs! :wall:

That said...[groans theaterically] how did you get it down to 25mbs?

--bornagainpenguin

7. kota_dawndragon

kota_dawndragon Second Year

Do you guys think that we'll ever see those fanfics on FF.net again?

8. bornagainpenguin

Sure!

All we have to do is create five new accounts each and spam FF.net with the fics we've saved off our hard drives but post them under new names. Oh and we'll be sure to call ourselves things like 'Not-Egyptian-Not-Flamable' so Egyptian Flame won't get in trouble for it. Who's with me? :twisted:

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Flame said he'll use this break to go through his story (Independance of a hero) and edit it here and there. He should repost it in a week or so.

Cracked Reservoir will get reposted too (not that we care...).

Shezza has already posted almost everything to his new yahoo!group.

Slytherin Revolution has it's own group.

Demon God can speak for himself, he's currently right behind your back (*hysterical scream followed by maniacal laughter*).

As for the others, nothing is certain. The only author who was active at the time of deletion had gone deep into hiding (Stained Future). The others... well, only time will tell.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Making other people's stories available for readers to download until they get reposted = Ok.

Using them for our own purposes and crusades without authors' permission = Big no no.

11. bornagainpenguin

I was joking! Honest! I know better to do something like that, no matter that we've all thought of it at one time or another.

[chuckles] I've been trained better than that; I just thought I could get away with making the joke here-- the anime fanfic forums I hang out at occasionally would lynch someone for even making the suggestion. That's why I used :twisted: instead of :evil: to make sure it was clear (I thought) I was only joking..

--bornagainpenguin

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Calm down, I've already called my assassins back... :)

13. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Can you give me a link to shezzas yahoo group cause I want to check it out.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

15. Midknight

I just set it to ultra, solid archive, and closed down everything except essential services while it was compressing.

The 5 meg difference doesn't matter, I was just making a point of winrar compressing it much better then I'm used to seeing.

16. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    We're all grateful for the nicely compacted versions of all the disappeared stories. Particularly ones we hadn't read, or had only partially read.
    I mean, really. If I could reach the fic archivers, I'd kiss them all. :D

17. bornagainpenguin

Misconceptions and a overdue war-speech...

Whoa! I better clear this up...

The mega archive (which isn't finished BTW--I screwed up and completely missed the Crossovers folder somehow!) contains every fic discussed here that I could get or that I could find.

That means that yes it contains many lost fics, but it also contains many more fics which are just fine and dandy at the moment sitting as happy as you please on their various respective homepages. There will likely be a lot of 'filler' in this archive if all you're looking for are the fanfics which were arbitariliy deleted by FF.not and their authors. If on the other hand you want a large archive of what most of DLP.net considered good enough to post links to, then the mega archive will be just what you're looking for.

For 'lost' or deleted fics, please direct your attention to the:
    [ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HPRecycleBin ] which I am co-moderator of with IP82.

The real reason behind this archive is to give us a starting point for the next round of deletions on FF.not. Next time--we'll be ready for them!

Next time there are a surge of random deletions-- we'll be able to pull out our saved copies and have a full archive between us all.

Next time some author tells us that FF.not deleted several chapters that she or he didn't think to back up --we'll ask which ones and email them to the author.

Next time this happens, and the rest of the HP-fandom is reeling form the loss we'll smirk and go right along enjoying ourselves.

--bornagainpenguin (for president, sign up now to give me money! oh and vote too I think...)

18. Midknight

Bornagainpenguin

I've decided you deserve recognition for the extreme work you're doing, and that file will no doubt draw attention to this site. Raven has concurred with me, and as such you become the first person on DLP.net thus far to recieve a honorary title.

Excellent work, and it's very appreciated by everyone.

19. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

:cheers: good job Bornagainpenguin

20. bornagainpenguin

whoa...

Thanks everybody!

--bornagainpenguin :)speechless:)