1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Harry Potter and the Baggage of Doom By Punster-Zero - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Jul 5, 2008.

1. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Baggage of Doom
    Author: Punster-Zero
    Rating: T
    Genre:General/Humor
    DLP Category: humor/parody
    Pairing: HP/LL
    Words: 10,476
    Published: May 2, 2008

Summary:Harry Potter / Discworld crossover Harry finds himself in need of some new school equipment.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4232181/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Baggage_of_Doom

A nice little one-shot at just over ten thousand words long. This story has to be one of my favorite type of crossovers as I am a big fan of the Discworld series. Its a shame there are not more of them. I rate this one at 4/5.

Checked by Minion, January 04, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  2. artenry

artenry Guest

Interesting.

The portrayal of Ron, Harry's viewpoint that Ron "was like a brother," and the ever-so-often used cliche of "destroying the family album" had me cringing for a minute or two.

The trunk was definitely full of win.

A quirky piece, and it actually had me raising an eyebrow in surprise a couple of times.

3.5/5

3. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Weasley bashing, prophecy mocking and Voldemort-devouring luggage. What's not to like?

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Quite amusing. Might've had a couple cliches but the amusement of the story far outweighs it. 4/5

5. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I've never read discworld, but now I kinda want to...

Best super!trunk ever. Just goes to show us that there is an exception to prove every rule.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Enjoyable. At times it felt more like a summary of the events than a story unfolding. And there was something kind of anti-climactic about the handling of everything. I could have done without Dumbledore's attempt to justify the power of love and mention of prophecy stuff. I think the dry summary of stuff kind of distracted from the potential humor and weirdness of the Luggage. But still, enjoyable and if the premise catches you, then it's definitely worth a read.

I'd rate it between a 3 and 4 but for being done, I'm rounding up. 4/5

For those curious though, this is the second Harry Potter fic I've read that's used the Luggage. It also accompanied Harry to Hogwarts in his first year in the AU fic, Strains of Melody by hoshi-tachi.

7. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Trunk of all Trunks

Well, Im sure many of the parts were more of a summary than a story how you like it but it was fine for me. I liked the idea of a trunk like a little dog just begging for affection and completely wary of 'its masters' enemies.

Ditto for Ronhating though I love to dis Hermione as well. Neville's action is nice though his Gran's moves are a little... well.... shouldn't she have known that he deserves his own wand?

4/5

8. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I particularly enjoy Harry Potter - Discworld crossovers, and this is no exception. In fact I recently read one that I'm pissed I cant find again, Harry joins the Assassins Guild after the events of PS. 4/5

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I liked the characterisation of the luggage, as well as the scenes of Harry finding the wandering shop and discovering it's contents. Discworld holds a special place in my withered heart.

The story has a number of factual errors that should have been picked up by a beta reader. 25 years is not half a century, and there are definitely other sentient objects besides the luggage (paintings, photos and the sorting hat for starters) in Potterverse.

The fic suffers from obvious and blatant wish fulfillment. Harry gets an undefeatable loyal companion, a supportive, loving girlfriend, and a deus ex machina to any of his problems. The Dursley's and Aunt Marge are thrown in jail and their house sold with all proceeds going to Harry. Draco is left destitute while Narcissa has disowned any connection to the Malfoy name. Pettigrew is captured, Sirius reinstated as Lord Black, and the list goes on and on.

The author used some phrases from Pratchett when describing the wandering shop that are jarring. They feel so much out of place because nowhere else does the fic use Pratchett-like descriptions. Or perhaps I'm just too attached to 'dribbly candles'.

The idea of a Harry/Discworld crossover is neat, but the execution and plot leaves a lot to be desired. I give it 2/5.

10. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

... Okay... Voldemort-eating luggage. That's somethin' you don't see every day. Very amusing, if a bit rushed. A good way to kill a few minutes. 3.5/5

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Yes, this is a good story. It's worth about a 4/5.

The only thing I think is that Luna should have gotten a Luggage that would take care of her Ravenclaw housemates.

12. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Never got in to Discworld but if there is a good summary and hint page for it will someone offer it to me?

The Volde-eating baggage was amusing. I liked Luna in it. Wish there could have been a little Hermione bashing in there though. Im glad Neville got into his own way but his 'smarts' was a little too fast I think.